• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ancestry

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I’ve heard that those companies can store your DNA and potentially do things with it you wouldn’t like such as find out which diseases you are susceptible to and then sell the information to insurance companies so that they can increase your premiums. So I wouldn’t get one of them done.

I assume my ancestors are from somewhere near England but I don’t really care enough to look into it if I’m honest.
a true ancap utopia

Dan

I've never bothered looking so far into the past. Doesn't matter to me if I have 0.7% Asian in me, unless I want to use such facts to make myself look like an oppressed minority.

Reactions: Dio

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
We did the 23 and me thing and it says on my dad's side is 43% British Isles 22% Irish 18% Western European 11% Iberian Peninsula and 6% undetermined

It's always neat to know where your family comes from. I always liked stuff like that

I've never taken one of those ancestry tests before. I have heard they are bogus.

I know my family history only as four as four generations back. It's not a lot, but all of the family I'm aware of on my mom's side and my dad's side is Polish. But the ancestry for future generations of my family should be more interesting as we now have family members living in the U.S., Canada, and Germany.

I've never bothered looking so far into the past. Doesn't matter to me if I have 0.7% Asian in me, unless I want to use such facts to make myself look like an oppressed minority.
Funny thing is, as a white person, you are a minority.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Never done a DNA test, don't really see the usefulness in those. However, my family has done a little bit of research into our ancestry. From what I recall of it, my family has always been prominent in North Carolina since it was colonized and were huge landowners there. We tracked our ancestry back to England where I do not remember what exactly my ancestors did, but I know they were wealthy. Although, it is rumored that my great great grandfather was actually a bastard of another prominent family in North Carolina, so who knows who my ancestors actually are.

Kirino

Tatakae
I've always been interested in my ancestry. It's pretty plain, though, given that all of my known ancestors come from the same ethnicity and region. I probably wouldn't take an online test since I already have a good outline of my ancestry dating back to several generations, and because of worries about inaccuracy and my data being misused.

@CapitalG: Whites are a minority globally, but not in Western countries such as the UK, which seems more relevant to Dan's post. I also notice that you're pretty reluctant to actually explain your initial post; it's completely understandable, since I would be too if I held such odious beliefs. Makes me wonder why you even posted them in the first place, though.

I haven't taken a dna test but i have lookee into my family tree. i have a lot of british and russian and welsh lineage. i am a direct descendant descendants of Rurik the viking aswell.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Checked out 23 and Me last year and was surprised by the results. My grandpa claimed to be fully German so I knew I had to be at least a quarter but I figured it was much higher. Turns out, I'm over 96% Northwestern European with only 20% being German or French! Boring, right? Anyway, I never knew who my dad was so half of my genetics were a complete mystery until I took the test. Not that I like my name being in a data base but it is a nice option for people who would like to know something more about their heritage.

Surely there are a heinous group of people who engage in this kind of activity but it can be nice to know what sort of health risks or tendencies you might have based on your genetic makeup.

Surely there are a heinous group of people who engage in this kind of activity but it can be nice to know what sort of health risks or tendencies you might have based on your genetic makeup.

Are you saying that being of mixed race may have negative health effects?

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Are you saying that being of mixed race may have negative health effects?
I'm not sure whether it's more unbelievable that you could so grossly misinterpret what he's saying or that you probably personally believe something so baseless and horrible.

Either way, I don't think even the least "politically correct" people on this site would be willing to buy into this sort of hateful garbage, so please don't bother. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom