• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Analyzing the GDC '11 Trailer

Just thought I'd start a topic for the more hardcore fans to dissect the GDC '11 trailer before a site like IGN does a rewind feature for it. Here are just some of my observations...

No Master Sword (or Skyward Sword, since they're one in the same). Probably an earlier part of the game.
nheHh.png

Also from the above section of the game. Shows what looks like an eagle pointing up... Is this a possible "teleporter" of Skyloft and Hyrule?
TMbqH.png

New item in the top right hand corner. Looks like a hookshot.
jhJWT.png

Look at the icon on the top D-pad button. Looks like a harp, so musical instruments may play a role in the game.
iSWdd.png

Gerudo Desert.
Dtr12.png

Look at the bottom D-pad. It's an icon for the spirit of the Master Sword, so it looks like she'll be Link's companion throughout the game.
kQJwm.png

Main bad guy in the game, probably.
CRWc4.png

If there's anything else you guys find, post it here (preferably with a screenshot).

Really unique looking places. I love it! I think that guy looks like Vatti, or a Shiekah personally. I know he's part of the first boss, maybe he's just part of the boss, or powering the boss up and is the main villain after all. I never noticed the hookshot looking thing before, but I don't think it's a hookshot. I think it's a new item, perhaps used for electrical powers or puzzles because it kinda looks like there is an electric dungeon and Nintendo said all the other items they didn't show weren't in previous games.

Link19x

Freak on a leash xp
actually, the sword in the beginning bears a striking resemblance to the weak version of the master sword from wind waker. and has anyone noticed that the graphics improved?

actually, the sword in the beginning bears a striking resemblance to the weak version of the master sword from wind waker.
Not really. The Master Sword in TWW when it wasn't powered just had the hilt guard in. The sword in the first screenshot is green... It looks nothing like the Master Sword.
Wind%20Waker%20-%20Holding%20the%20Master%20Sword-468x.jpg

Stallord

Twilit Fossil
actually, the sword in the beginning bears a striking resemblance to the weak version of the master sword from wind waker.

That's what I thought. NEW THEORY ALERT! Perhaps the Skyward Sword is the Master Sword, just without anyone praying to give it power yet. And maybe that's how it becomes the Master Sword.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
That new guy is not the main villain. At least I hope not. I'm really excited about all the Zelda news today and Mario news. The game looks great so far, I've noticed that the graphics changed a bit. It looks less bright and happy.

enemytracker

無情な
Inside my personal pot, killing some bugs.
According to some video/rumors/comments:

Skull Kid may appear during the game
skullkid.jpg

Objection to the first post: Zordiana or whatever she's called won't be Link's companion like Midna and Phantom Zelda. Plus, as some rumors say, Link's sword is like a communicator that allows Link talk to her indirectly. And the "guy" in the last screenshot looks more like a "she" rather than a "he" and, to not mention, there may be another antagonist (like Zant and Ganonforf from TP).

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
According to some video/rumors/comments:

Skull Kid may appear during the game

Nope, they've already gone over this whole thing at Zelda Informer.
That's not Skull Kid, people. It's a Skulltula (ya know, the spider). It's just hanging from the ceiling, and those little things you see sticking out underneath its body are its legs. The design on the body is the same design as the Skulltula that appeared earlier on in the trailer (the one that Link killed).
Sorry people, but it's just a bug.

I specifically want to bring up that "villain character", so I might talk about the other stuff more later (although I will say that big guy with the shield is clearly a Moblin, meaning calling the other pig guys "Bokoblins" was not a mistake).

The character we see in the trailer who everyone keeps saying is the villain (even Vaati) is clearly the same character from the promotional artwork, who has been confirmed to be the spirit of the Skyward Sword. Just look:

Image from the trailer (provided by zeypher):
CRWc4.png

Skyward Sword from the promotional artwork:
SkywardSword.png

See? There are design differences, yes, but it goes without saying that we'd have those considering the original image was conceptual, and didn't even match the style of the final game. Skyward's Sword's face has vague features, so the facial appearance of the trailer version isn't that surprising, really. If you also look to a different point in the trailer, near the end when he/she teleports away, you can see the legs have a similar diamond pattern. The biggest difference is the cloak, but it's not that big of a jump.

Now, despite feminine features the version in the trailer looks kinda male, but that's also not too strange considering Aonuma said this:

""Basically what leads Link on this adventure is the Skyward Sword," said Aonuma. "When that sword is actively guiding Link it actually transforms into a feminine figure. I wouldn't say that it's female per se but it's a feminine figure."" Skyward Sword is not Princess Zelda - Aonuma, officialnintendomagazine.co.uk

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Why would they move away from a design resembling the MS toward one resembling the Gilded Sword if it's supposed to become the MS?
And why does the icon mapped to down on the d-pad still look more like the concept art (though more like the Fairy Queen than anything)?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I specifically want to bring up that "villain character", so I might talk about the other stuff more later (although I will say that big guy with the shield is clearly a Moblin, meaning calling the other pig guys "Bokoblins" was not a mistake).

The character we see in the trailer who everyone keeps saying is the villain (even Vaati) is clearly the same character from the promotional artwork, who has been confirmed to be the spirit of the Skyward Sword. Just look:

Image from the trailer (provided by zeypher):
CRWc4.png

Skyward Sword from the promotional artwork:
SkywardSword.png

See? There are design differences, yes, but it goes without saying that we'd have those considering the original image was conceptual, and didn't even match the style of the final game. Skyward's Sword's face has vague features, so the facial appearance of the trailer version isn't that surprising, really. If you also look to a different point in the trailer, near the end when he/she teleports away, you can see the legs have a similar diamond pattern. The biggest difference is the cloak, but it's not that big of a jump.

Now, despite feminine features the version in the trailer looks kinda male, but that's also not too strange considering Aonuma said this:

Finally someone agrees with me. That character whoever it may be as we really can't say at this point right now does not look main villain material. It clearly looks like a villain from what we saw (or as Axle said the spirit of the sword) but what were people saying about Zant in Twilight Princess? Exactly. I still have high hopes for Ganon in whatever form to be the main villain or someone who looks more serious and menacing if we can't have Ganon.

EDIT: I saw the trailer yet another time and it looks as if Axle may be 100% correct. Even though it looks like he or she is attacking you from that boss battle at the end of the trailer it could just be how they meet until whatever happens later on in the game as we don't know anything yet.

Last edited:

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I thought the same as Axle actually, I think the figure in the artwork is the person at the end of the trailer. I saw nothing to indicate that it was the main villian, also I would like to note that the object the person sits on is reminisant of the hilt of the Skyward Sword/Master Sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom