• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern An Original Zelda Game?

After completing TWW for the first time (which I LOVED, btw) and now playing through TP for the first time in about a year, and having played SS about ten times, I've noticed that these games are exactly the same. Same weapons, same hero, same bosses, same side quests, same message. The only thing essentially different among games are the drastically different graphics. What (if anything) can be done to produce a fresh game?

I have yet to see a Zelda puzzle after OoT which doesn't have a cookie-cutter solution. What's that, the weak spot on that guy is his eye? You're kidding?! Trite, banal, overdone. I want a Zelda game to shock me.

Not to mention how you say to yourself, "Ohhh, I see where that kinda sorta fits in the timeline but explains nothing of the series."

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well, you talked about similarities, but then seemed to long for an already existing title.

Anyway, the best possible way to create a more original game is to find a new theme. MM was unique. It was still the Zelda we know and love, but it an unusual day-night system, the whole mask setup, and an overbearing feeling of eery darkness. Its considered one of the best games ever, and this is largely due to its blending of Zelda with a brand new theme never done before or since (tho i think they may have stolen the falling moon from FFVII). We need a new idea that will be seen throughout the game and ultimately define the game's unique contribution to gaming.

How about a Zelda that takes up the violence a notch. I mean more than TP. Make it gritty. Let there be blood once more in a Zelda game. I want to see some real blood and action, and maybe dialogue that isn't cliched and innocent. It shouldn't be like hardcore decapitating, disembowling, sex, and guts, but maybe something along the lines of Fire Emblem: Awakening (I love me some Fire Emblem). It balances bloodless action with people actually dying, some talk of alchohol and a few other things, and some really dark stuff. Its not overbearingly dark, but it has a maturity to it that most Nintendo games lack. I think it could be a model for bringing over fans who've gotten older or simply bored with the series. We could still make child-friendly games, but a more mature Zelda game would greatly boost the series.

Well, you talked about similarities, but then seemed to long for an already existing title.

I have yet to see a Zelda puzzle after OoT which doesn't have a cookie-cutter solution. What's that, the weak spot on that guy is his eye? You're kidding?! Trite, banal, overdone. I want a Zelda game to shock me.

Not to mention how you say to yourself, "Ohhh, I see where that kinda sorta fits in the timeline but explains nothing of the series."

If you're referring to that, it is an example of how the games are so similar.

I don't think Nintendo would ever release a game any more mature than TP. There isn't a great enough audience.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well changing up the combat to something more fast and drastically different would be a start. Then, introducing more logic-based puzzles (think Sky Keep but bigger) and perhaps puzzles based on terrain would be an interesting mixup.

Ultimately, Nintendo loves familiarity. The fans at large, or at the very least, the critics love familiarity too. I don't think changing that is in their best interest.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
Well changing up the combat to something more fast and drastically different would be a start. Then, introducing more logic-based puzzles (think Sky Keep but bigger) and perhaps puzzles based on terrain would be an interesting mixup.

Ultimately, Nintendo loves familiarity. The fans at large, or at the very least, the critics love familiarity too. I don't think changing that is in their best interest.

This.

But otherwise, the fact that the games are similar sounds so bad on paper, but I love all the Zelda games, so they are obviously doing something right.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
well, I know most of the creativity in SS went into the M+, but change is good (and the critics be d*****.) We need a balance of similarity and change. Nintendo has done with this in the past, but we need some more variety to make the game stand out. We need to shake things up a little. I really think a lot of people would like a more mature Zelda. I mean all the Nintendo-haters ever talk about is how bad the graphics are and how childish the gaming is. I hate those people, true, but we can learn from them. A nice more mature shake-up could broaden the audience while the portable and well every other game draws in the younger kids. The market is there (Me for example), and it really benefit the image of Nintendo. Not that that's really needed, but a broader audience could help Nintendo broaden its reach and resources for future generations of gaming (And we know Nintendo will never just sell out and go mainstream).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom