• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

An emboldened Hero?

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I was thinking about Link's reincarnations recently, and this one thought stuck out to me. Why is Link the only person who decides to take matters into his own hands and fight Ganon? Perhaps this is because he is emboldened by his knowledge of a later reincarnation. This would explain a lot. What do you think?

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I have to imagine that more people than just Link tried to stop Ganondorf/Ganon. Just looking at OoT as an example there were a ton of guards at the castle that I bet tried to defend it and perished. Link just happened to be the one that succeeded and maybe due to power granted to him either by fairies or the goddesses or whoever that others didn't have access to.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I would kinda like to play a non-canon joke game where someone else takes charge and Link kinda only watches

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Link was the only one who was able to defeat Ganondorf or even do any real damage to him for that matter. I dont think that means he was the only one to try and stand up to him. It simply means those who had attempted it would have been killed and we would therefore not see them.

WinterWolf

Gerudo Theif
I think that in games like WW and TP, Link was kind of the only person who knew what was going on besides Zelda and KoRL. In TP, everyone turns into a spirit and don't really know the reason why monsters are taking over. They were never told Zelda surrendered. In WW, Hyrule is a completely buried kingdom and the only people who know are Ganon and the King, who then tell Link and Tetra.

But in other games like OoT, Ganon terrorizes and kills anyone who stands up to him. Since Link was gone for 7 years, Ganon never really had a chance to establish that power over the hero.

Perhaps this is because he is emboldened by his knowledge of a later reincarnation. This would explain a lot. What do you think?

Although I admit I am far from an expert on the canon, I do not recall Link being aware of the reincarnation cycle after SS.
(if I am wrong about this a reference would be greatly appreciated)

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
No you are right @fermian they don't outright say it in any other game I believe. But in games like WW where Link grows up in an obviously very traditional family. They probably tell tales of the Hero of Time as well as other legends. Anyways, just a thought.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
Well, I wouldn't say that's exactly the case in all of the games. In Twilight Princess for example there was that resistance group with Rusl and Telma and co. (that kind of did jack **** aside from helping Link find the dungeons to be completely honest). I believe that Tetra's crew in Wind Waker also sort of do their part in defending the land if I'm not mistaken. And even a shallow person like Linebeck from Phantom Hourglass does make an attempt to help out. I think not many others aside from Link have played huge roles in defeating whatever baddie is threatening the world, but there are many companions who do join Link in his quest/s and help in their own way.

Most of the time it's just the Spirit of the Hero that lets him do brave (and stupid) ****. Part of it also stems from the Triforce of Courage, but he doesn't have it in every game.

No you are right @fermian they don't outright say it in any other game I believe. But in games like WW where Link grows up in an obviously very traditional family. They probably tell tales of the Hero of Time as well as other legends. Anyways, just a thought.

Given his expression in ww upon recieving the outfit worn by the hero of time, Link doesn't seem to be a big fan of the old tales.

Does no one remember the imprisoning war. I mean thousands of people actually stand up to ganon besides Link

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
Does no one remember the imprisoning war. I mean thousands of people actually stand up to ganon besides Link

I actually have spent countless hours thinking about the imprisoning war. while we now that many people stood up to "an Evil" I don't know that it is Ganon per se. even so, they would be soldiers sent by rulers of tribes/races so while they would fight for the cause, they do not do it of their own choosing, it is their leaders who say whether they fight or not. unless they defect from the army of their race (Zora army, Goron army, etc...)

But the imprisoning war was about sealing ganon and his forces back into the dark realm, so technically by standing up to the dark forces, you're standing up against ganon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom