• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda An Argument for Link's Voice

Having long been taboo in the Zelda community, and lately having increased debate and division among fans, Link's voice (or lack thereof) is a touchy subject for most people, branching off especially into more extensive debates concerning Link as a character overall.

Here, however, I'd like to simply make an argument for Link having a speaking role in a future game-- that is, a far more expansive one than the brief statements he was issued in Skyward Sword, perhaps allowing him to hold conversation naturally. Though, let's be clear, I'm not necessarily advocating for this; in fact, I'm not too sure of this idea myself-- I'd simply like to gather other's opinions on the matter.

Of course, the official argument against a voice for Link, one backed by Aonuma himself, is that Link is essentially a link to the player; that the player's emotions are to be represented through Link, and that giving Link a speaking role would interfere with such a philosophy.

But let's get something straight: to say that the player's emotions have been represented through Link in any Zelda game is simply untrue, mainly for two, intertwined, reasons:

Firstly, speech is simply another means of expression; seeing as it's expression by Link Aonuma's trying to avoid, he should therefore be censoring any means of expression by Link, including facial and bodily expressions-- but he doesn't, and therefore Link already has his own, independent emotions and expression. What difference is there in simply speaking these emotions instead of expressing them physically? Less awkward pauses and absent dialogue in cutscenes?

But, of course, it's not the same, right? You're still allowed to input your own emotions in for Link, write? But that's just the thing: you can't.

When Zelda seals herself inside the crystal in SS, you're supposed to feel sad; when Midna is killed by Ganondorf in TP, you're supposed to feel angry; when Zelda is kidnapped in OoT, you're supposed to feel shocked, even panicked. The game is written to elicit these particular emotions from you; that despair, that rage, that panic isn't your emotion, it's the emotion the game is telling you to feel because Link feels it. You think you're instilling your emotions into Link, but he's instilling his emotions into you.

Given these tow points, I think it would make no difference, tangible or intangible, whether Link spoke or not. To those of you who have played Fire Emblem: Awakening, the Avatar functioned precisely as Link might, were he to speak. (S)He's quite plain, and although (s)he does have certain distinguishable characteristics (much like Link), his/her emotions are generally expressed through reactions, as they are in Zelda, and therefore the player can still relate to him/her and feel their emotions represented in him/her, as the script is written in such a way that both the player and the Avatar elicit the same responses, despite the Avatar's speaking role.

Anyway, just some food for thought. Once again, I'm not necessarily advocating this, but I'd like to see what others think of these points.

Last edited:
Actually I would argue if a LoZ game was to get voice acting then all the NPCs would get voice acting but Link would not. He'd still communicate with the 93% of communication that is not the pure spoken word. No different. Link has not had text speech in the past. He's had almost zero speech at all of any kind. Adding it in now all of a sudden would feel weird. That's how I would feel.

This is not to say Link does not communicate at all. He does communicate a lot in games in fact, just using non verbal communication.
Also it's Link's follower that never shuts up in games and tells the story and how the other NPCs interact with those two (Link and follower). The follower is the story teller for the most part.

I can respect that. Like I said, that's why I'm not at all pushing for it, as I don't think it's particularly necessary; but I also don't think it would change anything, and so I'd like to open peoples eyes a bit, I suppose, show them that it's not really a bad thing, that it wouldn't really affect how they connected to Link or to Hyrule.

That way, if a relevant debate ever came up concerning Link and his voice, perhaps people would be a bit more open minded in how they approached the subject, instead of instantly dismissing the idea.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I have been a Zelda fan since day 1, granted i was like 4 years old when i started but a fan none the less. I for one have no issue with Link being voiced, and think you make a really good point. Heres how i see it; Zelda games have been basically the same game over and over with new worlds and features, which is fine. The formula set in place works, never have I completed a game and though... wow, that sucked. (i have no desire to go back and play SS again, but enjoyed it once) What im trying to say is that maybe its high time that they do change things up a bit. I've been on the subject of making the story more engaging as of late. Like i said in another thread, the current structure cuts ties with any attachment i feel toward characters. I know that when i defeat the Villain thats that, and when its over thats the end of that generation of characters, even if they return, it will just be a reincarnation of said character.

On the subject of Link having a voice, I feel I could relate to him a little more, or feel a bond with him more, if I knew a little better about how HE feels about the situations he in put in. Yeah the things you mentioned like being mad that Midna was killed, or Zelda being kidnapped. Thats just a given, but the way Link portrays emotion is almost heartless. By leaving the player to choose what emotions you avatar feels, leaves the avatar simply emotionless, and in some situations it seems heartless. Am i making any sense here? Don't get me wrong, if this were to never be changed, I wouldn't be upset. I'm torn on the subject, and have feelings for both sides. This is just how i feel on this side. I dont know its... whatever!

Actually, when Midna got "killed", I had a bit of joy. But that's on a side note.I personally see link as what he truly is, his own created self. I am personally happy enough with the quick "Hyah!" and "Haai!"he says when he swings his sword or the "Nng" when he falls from a great height or gets hit. Anything more would feel awkward to me sein as I was a fan ever since Link's Awakening.

Actually I would argue if a LoZ game was to get voice acting then all the NPCs would get voice acting but Link would not. He'd still communicate with the 93% of communication that is not the pure spoken word. No different. Link has not had text speech in the past. He's had almost zero speech at all of any kind. Adding it in now all of a sudden would feel weird. That's how I would feel.

This is not to say Link does not communicate at all. He does communicate a lot in games in fact, just using non verbal communication.
Also it's Link's follower that never shuts up in games and tells the story and how the other NPCs interact with those two (Link and follower). The follower is the story teller for the most part.

Link has had text speech. Granted it wasn't a lot but he had it. Lines like "The door will not open it's very quiet." or "Looks like I can get up here." plus adult link kinda has a voice actor, that yells and grunts. maybe the other reason is that the Zelda creators are afraid that they'll ruin Link with a VA the same way they ruined Mario. Let's face it, Mario and Toad's voices are high pitched and obnoxious and I prefer for Mario and Luigi to do their text speak a 'la Captain Lou Albano and Danny Wells. child link's hyaah voice actor is also kinda obnoxious to my ears. I think the other reason is immersion, its like reading a good book, you'd prefer to do the reading rather then read too by say, a story tape/cd. do they still make those things? and I think we've been without Link not having full dialogue for so long it would just seem very weird for some of its fanbase.

for the record I personally don't care if Link ever gets VA or not as long as the voice suits him if he does, then that'll be cool.

Last edited:
Can't help but notice that one of the main counterarguments seems to be that it would be "weird." I can see where you're coming from, but I'll remind you-- OoT's 3d was "awkward," when first announced; tWW's cel-shading was "weird."

Time and time again, Zelda fans have rejected excellent or intriguing concepts, which have gone on to revolutionize the structure and expression of the series overall, simply because they didn't sit well with them. Link's speech isn't necessarily a relevant topic right now, but this narrow-mindedness is-- and, in my opinion, it's been a big factor in holding the Zelda series back.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
idk I don't really think it's necessary, and I feel like one of link's characteristics is his silent acceptance of everything as it goes. It makes him a lot stronger as a protagonist- he can't complain because he doesn't talk.

I don't think giving Link a voice would take anything away from the experience. Often times you hear people say they don't know how to put their emotions in words; giving Link a speaking role with words that echo the feeling of the moment would only enhance the game.

The bigger challenge when and if Link is given a voice is finding an appropriate voice actor who fulfills the player base's fantasy regarding what kind of person/Hylian Link is supposed to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom