• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

American Chinese Food Vs. American Sushi

Sushi or Chinese Food

• Chinese

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sushi

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't enjoy sushi because it lacks concrete food. Sushi is too reliant on vegetables-a fed group I've never been a fan of. I'm more of a meat/sweets type of person. The meat traditionally present in sushi-seafood-doesn't appeal to me.

Chinese food is a better mix of edibles. I've always loved teriyaki chicken szechuan beef. Some of the soups featured in Chinese cuisine are absolutely delicious as well. I've never been a fan of cheap tricks but the allegedly Chinese inspired fortune cookies usually included with Chinese food are great too. My only gripe with Chinese food-and this is a minor one-is that it tends to be spicy. I'm drinking water and running to the bathroom for hours afterwards.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
Well, both of the American versions of these Asian foods suck in comparison to the real stuff that you get in China/Japan/that region. However, as I prefer Chinese food over sushi, I'm gonna go with American "Chinese" food.

Yes, there are some places in North America where you can get good Chinese food, but it's not as consistantly good and genuine as it is here. The food here also doesn't contain much MSG, unlike the crazy amounts Chinese food typically contains in North America.

Most of the food here in Beijing is great. However, the types of food you get in China depend on where you are. Most of what North Americans get is the Cantonese food from places like Hong Kong. Having travelled around to a lot of different places in China, I know that there is a difference between Northern food and Southern food; the Chinese distinguish those two things themselves. Northern is from Beijing to Xi'an and Shanghai, and the Southern food is places like the Hainan, Guangdong and Anhui provinces in the south (duh).

I prefer Northern food, myself; it's what I'm used to. The times I've been to places down south like Haikou or Qinghuangdao, we (being whoever I was venturing with) always wound up with really weird food at local Chinese restaraunts. So I think I'll just stick with my rice, Peiking Duck, dumplings, and sweet and sour pork up here in Beijing, thanks.

Occasionally in China, though, there's just some weird stuff. This is the most disgusting thing I ever saw on a menu in China (kinda gross, so if you are weak of stomach don't open, and don't worry, there's no picture) :

Donkey Pen15 in Red Soup.

That is exactly what it said (at least in English) on the menu, but of course, instead of 15, it was written "is". There's some weird stuff in China, but a lot of it is really good, like Sichuan food.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I'm not a huge fan of sushi in the first place, so Chinese wins by default.

My general rule for ethnic food: If I don't hear the language of the country of origin spoken in the establishment, I don't eat there. I stand a much better chance of being served something that at least borders on authentic if it's preferred by people who grew up eating that food.

Kazumi

chagy
I mean, sushi is great and all... But you just can't go wrong with some nice, greasy Chinese food. I'm a huge fan of take-out Chinese food myself. Not one of my finer points, as that stuff is absolutely terrible for you. However, I love it all the same. Deep-fried wontons...

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
American Chinese food is TERRIBLE sometimes. I mean, I'm biased as hell since my family is actually Chinese so I eat the authentic stuff daily, but American Chinese food is just AWFUL. So much salt, not enough actual vegetables, American styled fried rice is just plain nasty and apparently such an abomination as FRIED WONTONS EXIST! WHYYYYYYYYYY ;_;

Deep-fried wontons...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

On the other hand, I've never been to Japan, never had authentic sushi, so idk the quality difference and thus don't really care. I'm a big fan of sushi either way, as long as no wasabi. Seafood is yummy :>

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Most American knock-offs of oriental/Asian based foods simply aren't any good. They're loaded with salt, grease and a /lot/ of fat. The first and the third are beneficial in the right amounts, but eating either Sushi or "Chinese" food can lead to some very problematic situations.

That said, I vastly prefer neither to the other. I never cared for the American stuff in the first place; most places I buy the food in have greasy noodles, uncooked rice (despite being advertised as cooked) and a few other problems that I simply cannot tolerate.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
As much as I love sushi, and I truly do, Chinese Food wins this one hands down. This pretty much sums up why:

Kazumi said:
I mean, sushi is great and all... But you just can't go wrong with some nice, greasy Chinese food. I'm a huge fan of take-out Chinese food myself. Not one of my finer points, as that stuff is absolutely terrible for you. However, I love it all the same. Deep-fried wontons...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom