• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Am I the Only One Worried About Link?

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
After what Aonuma said I'm kinda worried, as people have been trowing around a lot of different ides as to who the character is. Some have said it's Zelda, other said it's a female Link, and some have speculated that we might be able to customize Link. The first two don't bother me greatly but the idea of Link not being preset and being customizable is terrifying to me. It's always been a tradition of mine to look forward to what Link looks like with each new Zelda and then later relish in the idea that this is what Link looks like in that particular point in time, I don't like Link's looks being left up to question or the fact that customization could potentially mean the character will have even less of a role in the story or how character customization is another thing borrowed from more western games as I really like how Zelda is very Japanese and don't want to see that go. As for a playable Zelda, this theory doesn't bother me so long as Link is also playable as I don't want a Zelda game without Link. And finally, while a girl Link doesn't bother me I'd rather just have plain old Link. I like strong female characters and all, but I like Link more. I know I'm jumping the gun here, but I personally felt that ALBW was very weak when it came to the aspect I like the most in Zelda (characters and story) especially compared to Skyward Sword, and since that came out I've just been worried for Zelda U. A few changes are fine and all, but some things need to stay the same.

Is anyone else worried about Link in the new Zelda?

Last edited:
In terms of customization, the only thing I'll say is that a number of us who aren't interested in it will not use this feature. That being said I believe that should they implement customization the default face should be the new iteration of Link created for the title.

Despite the theories that this new hero is some female hero or Zelda herself I can't personally attest to this. It's my personal belief that if they were interested in revealing a female Link or even Zelda as a protagonist they would have done so boldly rather than showing a new character of an androgynous style and then later sheepishly telling everyone that the character is a girl despite sharing a great number of similarities with past iterations of the hero in the Zelda franchise.

D

Deleted member 14134

I'm amazed people can come up with 20 minute rants over a 30 second video clip. It's Link, people look too deep into things. A new character would get a new design, not one that is so similar and could be mistaken for Link. Also the lack of womanly features eliminates the possibility of Zelda. I understand what puberty is but the character looks around 16 and possibly older. It's Link, relax.

It's still Link, don't worry, Aonuma's just playing with us. Besides, I like everything I've seen so far, that outfit is far superior to the prehistoric green tunic. I don't mean to rub this in your faces, but whether it's a new look or character, I'm down with it.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
Thanks for the replies everyone. :) I'm actually starting to think that what they showed was very early and some things might end up changing, so maybe just maybe when Aonuma said that that wasn't Link he might have been saying something along the lines of "that's not exactly the design we're using" instead of "that character isn't Link" ,at least I hope.

I just don't think some conventions need to be changed.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'm not worried about Link at all. If the character shown in the trailer is in fact Link, I'd be very happy. I really love how the character looks, whether it's Link or not. I'm very open to change, and Aonuma himself has said there's gonna be a lot of change:

Aonuma said:
“When I say I’m tired, I’m not talking about making Zelda, but rather, the same constituent that has been used to make Zelda up until now. While on the subject, in regard to how we’ve always done things the traditional way until now: ‘Why does it have to be traditional?’ That’s the question I’ve been asking myself.

If we don’t change that, we can’t make something new. We’re slightly approaching The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds with that mindset, and also the next Zelda title, which we intend to continue changing. However, this brings us to the topic, ‘Exactly what is The Legend of Zelda about?

Something that is ‘traditional’ is in a sense often something that copies previous works, so if you continue doing that, it gradually takes away from its uniqueness,” says Aonuma. “So we’re currently working on making those parts more and more unique.

So, by no means, am I tired of it,” Aonuma reiterates with a laugh. “Rather, the more we change it, the more I get fired up. Having someone think ‘Huh? Is this Zelda?!’ at first, then ‘Oh, it is Zelda,’ is what we’re going for. Something that wouldn’t make it matter whether Link or Princess Zelda appear in it or not. Something where it wouldn’t even matter if Zelda is actually a princess, or not.”

I don't know about you, but I find his statements incredibly exciting. There are so many possibilities that could come from this, and I like it. So I'm not worried at all; I'm really excited.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
I'm pretty sure this guy is Link; he just looks like him. He's got all Link's defining features; the sharp blue eyes, the earring, the light hair, the young-looking facial-features. I suppose you could argue that this is his brother or something, that still may not mean we have lost Link as a protagonist. Nobody said this was Link (Though, I personally think he is), but nobody said this guy was the protagonist either. Maybe it's a situation Like TWW, where your younger sibling is kidnapped and becomes your original motivation for setting off on your adventure. Maybe that scene was like a cutscene where we see said younger sibling being kidnapped... I don't know, but I think (And hope) that Link is still safe in his role as protagonist.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure this character is indeed Link and Aonuma's just messing with us. He seems to like doing that.

Even if it is customisable, I am sure you will still be able to make a character that looks like Link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom