• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Am I the only one who dislikes Zelda (character)?

I just can't bring myself to like her for some reason. Maybe I think that she's too whiny or something. I played OOT, SS, and BOTW and she bothers me in those games. In BOTW, she was such a pain in the butt because she was so cold to Link. In SS, her character is more silly, I get indifferent to her pushing me off of stuff and saying she wants to live on the surface which I thought was an idiotic decision for her to do since her father lives in Skyloft and I'm worried about the responsibilities she has to have to take care of herself (Becareful what you wish for, Zelda). Who knows, maybe she and Link convinced the Skyloftians to come live on the surface. I didn't care for what happened to Zelda in that game, the whole plot was trying to find Zelda and I'm all like "I don't want to look for that Zelda girl with an O mouth on her face and a triangle lip.". Though, I still kind of like the game, I think it's really cute, but I thought it was one of the weaker executed Zelda games for its terrible, senseless ending, Fi (the autotune singing girl), Groose and his minions bullying Link in the beginning, and some of the animation was a little jerky.

I was kind of glad that Zelda sealed herself and didn't feel any sympathy towards her.

I've hated Princess Zelda's most recent portrayals. The more they try to make her more "involved" in the story and overwrite her as being a genuine character, the worse she is. Like they just can't write her at all. Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild. Those are the three that I really can't tolerate even on some level. It's just such an intrusive character and ick.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I just can't bring myself to like her for some reason. Maybe I think that she's too whiny or something. I played OOT, SS, and BOTW and she bothers me in those games. In BOTW, she was such a pain in the butt because she was so cold to Link. In SS, her character is more silly, I get indifferent to her pushing me off of stuff and saying she wants to live on the surface which I thought was an idiotic decision for her to do since her father lives in Skyloft and I'm worried about the responsibilities she has to have to take care of herself (Becareful what you wish for, Zelda). Who knows, maybe she and Link convinced the Skyloftians to come live on the surface. I didn't care for what happened to Zelda in that game, the whole plot was trying to find Zelda and I'm all like "I don't want to look for that Zelda girl with an O mouth on her face and a triangle lip.". Though, I still kind of like the game, I think it's really cute, but I thought it was one of the weaker executed Zelda games for its terrible, senseless ending, Fi (the autotune singing girl), Groose and his minions bullying Link in the beginning, and some of the animation was a little jerky.

I was kind of glad that Zelda sealed herself and didn't feel any sympathy towards her.
For a second I was going to ask you why you were here you might want to change the thread title to include (CHARACTER) in the title.
I dont mind her in recent games but she definitely can be better done but windwaker zelda is the best involved zelda in my opinion.

Last edited:
For Isecend I was going to ask you why you were here you might want to change the thread title to include (CHARACTER) in the title.
I dont mind her in recent games but she definitely can be better done but windwaker zelda is the best involved zelda in my opinion.

Oh, lol, no no. The games are great. I've changed it. I was thinking about changing the title to clarify that I was talking about the character but I didn't know how to. I found the way already.:D

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I've hated Princess Zelda's most recent portrayals. The more they try to make her more "involved" in the story and overwrite her as being a genuine character, the worse she is. Like they just can't write her at all. Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild. Those are the three that I really can't tolerate even on some level. It's just such an intrusive character and ick.

I cannot stress this enough myself. It really is a bloody shame ninty has no sense of how to write her properly. BotW sets the bar even lower and is dangerously close to approaching Other M levels of outright sexism. At this point I'd appreciate it if ninty just not bother to write complex narratives at all anymore. They've done enough damage as it is.

She is bothersome in most titles just because she is so dumb *AHEM OoT*

Well at least in OoT she has the innocence of childhood to excuse her. That's one of that game's greatest tragedies and really helps to underscore the themes of the narrative as well as develop and highlight her character. I mean, she grows up to be a freaking ninja. That's gotta count for something.

Why we can't just have a strong, sensible, mature, wise leader in Zelda who isn't a passive doormat or self sacrificial lamb or obnoxious harpy/manic pixie dream girl is beyond my reckoning.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Depends on the game. Loved her in ST, she was a respectable (albeit not fleshed out) character in TP. In BOTW...yeah, I can't stand her. BOTW Zelda is essentially the opposite of TP Zelda with a much more fleshed out character, but ridiculously selfish and unlikable.

I don't know if it's how the character is written or how the story is presented, but she really comes off as a whiny brat who complains that she works too hard, but doesn't actually do much work at all. Before Ganon's arrival, we have one scene of her trying to activate her powers and even then she just immediately gives up 5 seconds in and complains that it's too hard, cursing the Gods for it not being easier. Every other memory is her relaxing or doing recreational guardian study.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
she does kinda annoy me a bit sometimes, its like I cant put my finger on it sometimes

she does kinda annoy me a bit sometimes, its like I cant put my finger on it sometimes

Yeah, but OOT Zelda I think is the one who annoys me for some reason but I don't know why. I don't know if it's her whiny voice or what, but she annoys me for some reason. Though, the reason why I hate BOTW Zelda is because of how bratty she was and SS Zelda was too silly, she also made some stupid bad mistakes in that game that made me want to slap her, like at the end when she told Link that she wanted to live on the surface and I was like "What? She's a little girl! How is she going to take care of herself?", And then she got the clingy, possessive Link to possibly live with her. I'm mad, I don't know if it is appropriate for a kids game like this to have such strong romance to between two young characters, it's either that or a brother-sister relationship type thing. Either way, I don't like it because of how flirty Zelda was and how clingy, posessive Link is of her, I don't know if it's a brother-sister type thing or a love interest.

I thoguht that Zelda looked better in that slumber than she is awake.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
ive actually really enjoyed seeing Zelda's character progress from being a very Princess Peach-like character (always getting captured) to being a strong character who can fend of herself. idk i just like that.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
I wouldn't say she annoys me. She's cute, and makes for some charming laughs in games like Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword. She's by no means a deep character in any game shes in, but I've never come to expect deep characterization in any Zelda game.

Something about her irked me in Breath of the Wild, but I think that was due to external factors like voice-acting, and the lack of payoff at the end. Plus they explain her struggle on repeat quite a few times, due to the fact that you might not see all of the cutscenes in the game. I find nothing wrong with her being whiny; crying is expected when someone is dealing with a great internal struggle, and society really needs to stop treating it like a sign of weakness.

Anyway, while I'm not disappointed in Zelda as of late, I certainly wouldn't mind a deeper character if that were to come about.

@Pinkarray I'll have to disagree, though I get the desire to have a Zelda that's more independent and confident in herself. I wouldn't exactly call Skyward Sword a kids game, either. Sure, its accessible to kids, but it didn't cater to them.

I wouldn't say she annoys me. She's cute, and makes for some charming laughs in games like Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword. She's by no means a deep character in any game shes in, but I've never come to expect deep characterization in any Zelda game.

Something about her irked me in Breath of the Wild, but I think that was due to external factors like voice-acting, and the lack of payoff at the end. Plus they explain her struggle on repeat quite a few times, due to the fact that you might not see all of the cutscenes in the game. I find nothing wrong with her being whiny; crying is expected when someone is dealing with a great internal struggle, and society really needs to stop treating it like a sign of weakness.

Anyway, while I'm not disappointed in Zelda as of late, I certainly wouldn't mind a deeper character if that were to come about.

@Pinkarray I'll have to disagree, though I get the desire to have a Zelda that's more independent and confident in herself. I wouldn't exactly call Skyward Sword a kids game, either. Sure, its accessible to kids, but it didn't cater to them.

Why do you think she should be more independent and confident in herself so that she can live by herself? I think that's inappropriate for someone her age.

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
Why do you think she should be more independent and confident in herself so that she can live by herself? I think that's inappropriate for someone her age.
Oh, I guess I misunderstood your post; I thought that's what you wanted. No, I'm happy with the way she is, but I understand why someone might want it. Also, do we know exactly how old she really is? And do we know for sure that her father won't fly down to live with her?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom