• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Am I the Only One That Thinks the Game Didn't Age Well?

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
A lot of games from the Nintendo 64 have aged poorly. I once heard the polygons of the N64 looking like poorly inflated balloons. None of the graphics in Ocarina of Time look good, and it's a difficult game for me to put up with even when compared to games of the time.

For me, the worst part of Ocarina of Time is the story. It barely exists and what little does is about the most straight forward, unimaginative fantasy stuff I've seen. It set out a series formula that the franchise has struggled to break away from for forty years.

I think it has aged poorly.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I feel like the awkward clunkiness of OoT is really what makes it special. I mean sure, the graphics aren't great and they could've added an extra items slot or two, but it sort of gives it charm. It makes you have to work with those limitations until you're forced to respect them. And considering the fact that literally everything afterwards has been somehow inspired by that, I think they made it work.

I feel like the awkward clunkiness of OoT is really what makes it special. I mean sure, the graphics aren't great and they could've added an extra items slot or two, but it sort of gives it charm. It makes you have to work with those limitations until you're forced to respect them. And considering the fact that literally everything afterwards has been somehow inspired by that, I think they made it work.
I agree with this. N64 games and their broken-ness allow for a gaming experience that couldn't exist today. This does mean, though, that OoT didn't age well. It sits squarely as an N64 game, and that system didn't age as well as the Wii-era games (like Super Mario Galaxy aged much better than Mario 64) or even the Game Cube games (Wind Waker aged much better than Ocarina of Time).

Does this take away from the experience? For me, yes. For people who enjoy that clunkiness charm, no. But to say that it didn't age is wrong (things age), and for some people that means it didn't age well.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Of course it aged. Same with a lot of games but that makes this game so special for me. So much nostalgia and a lot of fun. OoT3D made the graphics a lot smoother but still the game aged a lot. Like said before that doesn't take the fun away though

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom