• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

AlttP: A Couple Insights and Queries.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
First off, I have to say, MAGIC POWDER IS HILARIOUS! I wonder still what the actual purpose of such an item is, but I have too much fun turning those green-bean looking things into little Mr.Potato heads! hahaa

Oi.

also, A.Bumpkin and B.Bumpkin. The 2 lumberjacks directly East of the Lost Woods, slighly North of the entrance to Death Mountain passage.
(the one where you need the King's permission.)
I bet no one mentioned these 2 fellows in the other thread talking about which charachter we would actually like to be. ;)

Hmmm...oh! And did anyone else notice the grass spots that look like an arrow is pointing to something? I forgot where it is at, I believe it to be just before the wood bridge crossing right under the Witch's Potion Shop (whom you give the mushrooom to).

Yea, I'm playing Alttp right now and it's my fav. of all the Zelda games. I love the little noise the game makes of unlicking a door and picking up rupees. And the cuckoos, there fun. Sound more like turkey's though hahha.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
Haha, good to hear that somebody is enjoying my all-time favorite Zelda game. Yes, ALttP was pretty awesome. Personally, I had a lot of use for the magic powder, but I guess that really depends on how much one uses magical items. I love the magic canes. The game has a lot to offer- depth, difficulty, story, minigames, music, etc. The dungeons and bosses were pretty fantastic, too. I need to replay it again for the umpteenth time.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Hehe, yes, my all time fav. too. what did you use the magic powder for a lot? I cannot seem to find any practical use for this entertaining item.

Oh my gosh yes, the music, I love it. I just bought the GBA version and I noticed that there are little difference like the sound of money, etc. This makes me like the SNES version even more jst because I love all of it's unique sounds.

Yea I like the dungeons too. I'm actually a little scared of the dark world in this game because it's like, where did all the people go and then my imagination turns to torcher and it's horrible. hahha, I'm crazy. But seriously, it's a little frightening.

knowlee

Like a river's flow, it never ends...
Hehe, yes, my all time fav. too. what did you use the magic powder for a lot? I cannot seem to find any practical use for this entertaining item.

Well I know that you can use the magical powder to make your magic power run down slower when you use a magical item.

Oh, yes, I love the music from ALttP. :) That game holds some of my favorite songs from the entire Legend of Zelda series. I loved the dungeons in this game too. I consider them to be even better than the ones from the latest Zelda games. They're awesome! :)

Yes, and I, too, also noticed the grass shaped like an arrow that looks like its pointing to something. I don't think I ever found out what it meant though. :xd:

Welbanks

My mom says im cool...
Hmmm...oh! And did anyone else notice the grass spots that look like an arrow is pointing to something? I forgot where it is at, I believe it to be just before the wood bridge crossing right under the Witch's Potion Shop (whom you give the mushrooom to).

The arrow is a hint that points out how to cross the river.
Which, incidently, I was stuck on for quite a bit until I saw it.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
I love it! The way Link prays in order to open the path to the Desert Palace hahaha. Really, he looks so...well...adorable really haha.

I've never seen Link "pray" before. It looks like he makes the sign of the cross in order to make his wish :P

Edit: Also, the Pendants are colored differently from the titles I usually assume to them. What I mean is the Pendant of Courage is Green, okay. However, the Blue Pendant is Power and the Red one is Wisdom...should not those be switched? It seems like those 2 should be switched to go alone with the other Zelda games.

I just want to personally thank Koji Kondo, the musical composer for The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I beat this game again, and it brought back so many memories. I truly love this game and will hold it forever in my heart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, ALttP is an awesome game. I'm currently replaying it with the least amount of equipment upgrades as possible, and no bottles. It's pretty darn hard so far.

As for the Magic Powder, the only time I ever use it much is when I encounter an Anti-Fairy (I think that's what they're called; you know, those red things that go bouncing around the room and drain magic and life if they touch you?). With the Magic Powder, you can turn them into fairies, which is very handy if you're low on health.

The music is also pretty awesome too, although it would have been nice if the dungeons each had their own themes. I loved the theme for Death Mountain and the Skull Woods in the Dark World; there was something about it that was just... great.

Man, I wish the newer games could have dungeons like in this game. Like, in PH, I hardly ever made notes on my map, just because the dungeons were too simple. But in ALttP, I could think of a bunch of different times when I would use something like that. I really hope Nintendo will make another true 2D game for the DS, and make it more like ALttP than PH.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Ooooh, my friend, you have enlightned me. I was wondering why the guide would sometimes say "kill the anti-fairies", I would try a bunch of different things, but I never used the Magic Powder. I could have used that :P

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
As for the Magic Powder, the only time I ever use it much is when I encounter an Anti-Fairy.

Oddly enough, I don't think I ever knew this... Now maybe deep down in the recesses of my mind I did, but really this seems like something entirely new to me. Hey, if that's all Magic Powder is good for, then I'd say that's a pretty good use for it!

knowlee

As for the Magic Powder, the only time I ever use it much is when I encounter an Anti-Fairy (I think that's what they're called; you know, those red things that go bouncing around the room and drain magic and life if they touch you?). With the Magic Powder, you can turn them into fairies, which is very handy if you're low on health.

Ah really, hmm, I remember hearing that before somewhere, but I can't remember where. :hmm: I'll have to try that with the anti-fairies the next time I play ALttP. :D That information might save me a lot of trips when I have to leave the dungeon in order to find fairies.

Well I believe I mentioned this already, but you can also use the Magical Powder to make your magic meter drain slower when you use a magical item. :)

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Well I believe I mentioned this already, but you can also use the Magical Powder to make your magic meter drain slower when you use a magical item. :)

How would one do that? I have the 1/2 above my magic meter, but how would using magic powder itself save magic?

knowlee

How would one do that? I have the 1/2 above my magic meter, but how would using magic powder itself save magic?

Well the 1/2 thing above your magic meter is what I was referring to. With that symbol being there, it halves the amount of magic that's taken away when you use certain magical items.

Basically what I meant was that you could use the magic powder to get someone to make you be able to save your magic by halving the requirement needed. I'm sorry that I didn't really clarify that earlier, but I had to get off my computer around the time that I was posting that. :sweat:

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Yes, in the well near the smithies house, there's a statue that once sprinkled with Magical Powder releases an Imp that "curses" you, making that the amount required to cast a spell/use magical item is reduced by half

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
Oh, man. I just beat LttP, and it was beyond epic. While I was still bugged by the story and the fact that Death Mountain and the Lost Woods should have their places switched, the game was truly a masterpiece. I died so many times on the final stretch of Skull Dungeon until I realized that the game showers you with rupees and you can put blue potion in all bottles for a pittance compared to your max.

Once I got the magic powder, every time I saw an Anti-Fairy in a particularly challenging room, I would breathe a sigh of relief that I had just grabbed eight hearts. LttP is probably the only Zelda game in which blue potion is better than fairies for bottles, though, since other Zeldas barely even use the magic meter.

I also liked the fact that while there's a real sense of exploration, it's plenty easy to get 100% completion once you've discovered where things are. I didn't use a guide for anything but the frog=blacksmith thing, but I still found everything but seven heart pieces. It's just... wow. It's the one Zelda where I had no love whatsoever for the plot or world, but tons for the game structure and gameplay.

First off, I have to say, MAGIC POWDER IS HILARIOUS! I wonder still what the actual purpose of such an item is, but I have too much fun turning those green-bean looking things into little Mr.Potato heads! hahaa
Magic Powder is hilarious, and awesome. Of all the items in the entire series, it's really the one that they need to use again. It's... awesome. Pure and simple.

Seriously, though, is it that hard for them to put it into a new game? Even a 3D one? *Sigh*

And just so you know, the green guys you transform are called Buzz Blobs, and the weird little guys you turn them into are called Cukemans. Did you know you can talk to the Cukemans? They say stuff if you try to talk to them like a normal NPC. Although it's tricky since they're enemies; sometimes you hit them with your sword instead. I forget what kinds of things they say, however.

Anyway... ALttP ftw. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom