• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Alternate Dimensions, do they exist?

Do alternate realities exist?

• Yes!

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • No...

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
According to some theory nothing exists until it can be observed, so until someone or something observes an alternate dimension it doesn't exist...

Other theories state, to put it in the simplest possible terms, that just *thinking* about alternate dimensions (or alternate possibilities) makes them a reality...

... astrophysics is HAAAAAAAARD :D

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
But Castle, what if other people exist in those alternate dimensions? Wouldn't they then be observed, and so exist?

But you are not observing them. Therefore they do not exist... leading to yet more theories having to do with alternate realities being shaped by each individual consciousness and how it observes the universe. And even still more theories that figure that only ones own conscious matters since you are the only thing that's privy to your own self awareness....

Oh no I've gone crosseyed...

Sheesh and this is just the metaphysical stuff. There's even more to do with gravity and light and Einstein's theory of relativity and black holes and expansion and contraction of the universe and the big bang. Quantum physics, astrophysics and metaphysics oh my!

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
The theory here is empiricism vs rationalism. Empiricism is inferring something is only real based on evidence you can observe. Rationalism is the idea that you can make sense of something existing based on other ideas etc and inferring that something is real without necessitating physical evidence. My personal opinion is that I think alternate realities/dimensions probably do exist, rationally speaking. But obviously getting the empirical evidence to support this hypothesis is, as yet, out of our grasp.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Take a specific point in time, breakfast, for example. You are hold two of your favorite cereals, the Culture Approprating Lucky Charms, and the Segregating Trix. Today, you decide to decide to be a Uncle Tom and choose Twix. At that very moment, another universe is created where everything before that decision and everything after it is the same, but that decision itself is changed. You chose Lucky Charms in the other. So if another universe is created with every decision a person makes, does it apply to the laws of nature? Why or why not? Further, do alternate dimensions exist in alternate dimensions? Is ours the one where it doesn't?

Djinn

and Tonic
There Berenstein Prime universe does have the occasional incursions over from the Berenstain Universe, or Universe-2.

I like to think separate material realities based on various levels of vibration, etc is a possibility. But I am not quite convinced it would appear the same way as it does on tv. With just a perfect replica of Earth only with minor differences here and there. When talking about a whole new reality where the physical laws are fundamentally different then you would likely have some so alien that it would barely be recognizable.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
I wish they did, and maybe they do. There are possible explanations for them found a lot in quantum mechanics, but there is no evidence to suggest so. Assuming the "many worlds interpretation" was accurate, there would not only be a huge violation of the law of conservation of energy and matter, but that would mean that someone in some dimension would have traveled to our dimension. I voted "yes" because it's entirely possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom