• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Alternate Dimensions, do they exist?

Do alternate realities exist?

• Yes!

Votes: 15 75.0%
  • No...

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
I watch a lot of Sci-Fi superhero movies and shows, and a recurring element is that of alternate dimensions. But could they really exist? Is there any evidence leaning towards them? All I've seen so far is skepticism. I doubt the theory myself, but what does the rest of the forum think?

Dan

They certainly do exist, I've actually been to a few myself. In one dimension Zelda Dungeon is actually the NASA of our dimension, and people actually know how to pronounce Mases there. In every other alternate dimension I've been to Zelda Dungeon takes the place of our Detroit. I've yet to find a dimension with an edible Pot Noodle sadly, but I know there's one out there some where.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
No they do not, because i assure you if another alternate dimension existed i would've posted this, but as i did not there is no other alternate dimension

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Okay, seriously? Seriously, seriously? We don't know. But there are some ideas that suggest that there are an infinite number of universes besides our own. There are a limited number of ways that atoms in a universe can be configured, though that number is enormous beyond comprehension, it still isn't infinity, so if there are an infinite number of universes, then by pure mathematics there are an infinite number of universes identical to our own, and an infinite number that are very similar but perhaps in that one you turned left instead of right down the hall one day. So if it holds true that there are an infinite number of universes, then yes there are "alternate dimensions" though alternate universe would be a more correct term.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Like Matt said when Matt did the Math. I think they exist. I don't know for certain of course. I've never been there but there are so many things we don't know enough about. And because we don't know much, doesn't mean they don't exist.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I believe that there could be, but not in the same way as we see in movies and TV, where you have the same people and places, but worlds that are different from the ground up. The most base things could have happened that changed the world. Maybe Julius Cesar was never born. Maybe Adolf Hitler died of pneumonia at a young age. Maybe Australia never existed. That kind of thing. Leading to very different other worlds. Because honestly, in a world with so many changes already, how did Termina not only keep Ingo, but multiplied him?

HeroOfTime

Challenger Approaching!
That kind of thing. Leading to very different other worlds. Because honestly, in a world with so many changes already, how did Termina not only keep Ingo, but multiplied him?

Ah, yes, I forgot about our most solid evidence, the fantasy game series Legend of Zelda. ;)

They certainly do exist, I've actually been to a few myself. In one dimension Zelda Dungeon is actually the NASA of our dimension, and people actually know how to pronounce Mases there. In every other alternate dimension I've been to Zelda Dungeon takes the place of our Detroit. I've yet to find a dimension with an edible Pot Noodle sadly, but I know there's one out there some where.

If there are alternate dimensions, there's one dimension where Dan isn't hilarious. Damn, I'm happy I'm in this one. ^^

Until human beings innovated methods of traveling long distances, they never even had the basic knowledge to think of outer continents ever existing. :confused: That being said, it was not too long ago in our history that people believed that there was no outer planets, and that we were at the center of the universe. :eek: Our understanding of space today is far different from what our ancestors taught thanks to technological advancement and research on space.

So to answer your question, which will be a simple and rather mundane reiteration of what the others have stated before me, we know not of whether they exist or not, much like extraterrestrial lives and Nessie. Quite obviously, this is mainly due to us lacking the technology or means of actually reaching or let alone observing the other dimensions. That being said, it does not necessarily deny the existence of alternate dimensions, just as much as we cannot deny the existence of fish in the ocean through scooping a cup of seawater and finding none inside it.

I personally wish, and I guess I do believe that there are alternate dimensions. :notzd: I have heard rumours of people and things disappearing all of a sudden, and they might have been sucked into a portal which leads to worlds different from ours. :)

Jedi Rise

Jedi Reach
Alternate dimensions do exist but the way they exist in reality is fundamentally different from the concepts of science fiction. For one, dimensions should be viewed better as 'time space configurations' based on the structure and integrity of spacetime. So while one dimension may be in the future, another in the past, there's another in another region or part in time where it does not contain alternate possibilities of what we experience here; but rather, an entirely different region in space-time-configuration.

Spacetime is better pictured like 'pockets' on a timeline - only with the universe, there are multiple parallel 'timelines' (picture it like working on Abode Flash) and some of them cross each other while others do not.

Also the idea that no one can know if it exists is uneducated and false.

That's like saying we cannot detect Black Holes. (Can you see a Black Hole directly? No, but we know it exists through the effects. Similarly, we are understanding the effects of alternate dimensions through space geometry and the ever-expanding multiverse.)

It can be studied theoretically through tachyon theory and a general understanding of relativity, space geometry and time, paired with logic.

D

Deleted member 81859

Yep. Just look at the Berenst*in Bears conspiracy.

I remember a, while my best friend remembers e.

Also, whatever @Jedi Rise said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom