• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Altering the Puzzle and Combat Difficulties

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
Silent Hill had the option of altering the puzzle and combat difficulties, do you think this would be good for Zelda?

Tictalk

Anouki
You have good intentions, but I don't think its a good idea to compare Zelda to a genre or game it's clearly not, like Silent Hill. This is why I don't like when people say that they want more RPG aspects in Zelda, because then it's not Zelda. You can only stray so far before you're on a different road. :)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think having multiple combat difficulties is fine. I'd rather the puzzles be the same, though. Too much work on Nintendo's part to pull a stunt like that. They need to spend their time making each dungeon have that "just right" difficulty level, not on multiple designs.

This reminds me of something Nintendo tried recently with Kid Icarus: Uprising recently as well. When the player clears a particular segment of the game, the difficulty is increased and a death lowers it. Reguklar difficulty choosing as you mentioned is also alright though.

Dragoncat said:
Sounds interesting enough, might work, but a lot of fans would rage.

Why?

Tictalk said:
You have good intentions, but I don't think its a good idea to compare Zelda to a genre or game it's clearly not, like Silent Hill. This is why I don't like when people say that they want more RPG aspects in Zelda, because then it's not Zelda. You can only stray so far before you're on a different road.

Skyward Sword added a weapon upgrade system and it was warmly received by fans. A more minor change like the one detailed in the OP wouldn't hurt the franchise. Also, many games have difficulty settings. This is not unique too RPGs.

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
You have good intentions, but I don't think its a good idea to compare Zelda to a genre or game it's clearly not, like Silent Hill. This is why I don't like when people say that they want more RPG aspects in Zelda, because then it's not Zelda. You can only stray so far before you're on a different road. :)

I'm actually just comparing more the function from the game than the game itself. I don't think adding a function to change how easy or how hard the puzzles or combat would change the overall story or type of game in the long run. It would give the players an opportunity to have options accessable to them.

Not sure why you would disagree with this, there's already a stepping stone in Zelda games; Hero Mode.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Fans would rage because...idk. There are fans who rage about every little change anyway and say every game but OoT sucks. I have a feeling they'd absolutely hate the addition of a difficulty system.

Anyway, I think a combat difficulty thing would be fine. Puzzle, not so much...the puzzles are already fine to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom