• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

All Sylveon speculations and news

Clash

Super Melee Brawler
I know people are speculating left and right about the introduction of a light type, and I think Sylveon looks like it could be light type. I know that people are saying that the type system is perfectly imbalanced as it is, but this isn't necessarily true. As a move type, the ice type rules, but as a pokemon type, it is arguably the worst. The dark and steel types were added in second gen to balance out fighting and psychic types, so why not now?

I know people are speculating left and right about the introduction of a light type, and I think Sylveon looks like it could be light type. I know that people are saying that the type system is perfectly imbalanced as it is, but this isn't necessarily true. As a move type, the ice type rules, but as a pokemon type, it is arguably the worst. The dark and steel types were added in second gen to balance out fighting and psychic types, so why not now?

The dark and steel types were added in second gen to balance out fighting and psychic types […]

You just answered your own question... The Type system is already balanced, so why screw it up now?

.:Brony:.

Head Brony of ZD
You just answered your own question... The Type system is already balanced, so why screw it up now?

I think what he was implying that maybe new types could be added to the game to balance out the game, we have no idea what's in store for us in X/Y.

Last edited:

Austin

Austin
I think what he was implying that maybe new types could be added to the game to balance out the game, we have no idea what's in store for us in X/Y.

This doesn't change the fact that the type system is already balanced. Why add in more chaos?

It wouldn't make sense to add new types to balance a system that is already... well... balanced...

The Type system was balanced a while back with the inception of Dark and Steel types, as Clash mentioned when he answered his own question...

...oh, wait. ¢. ¢

Not sure if this was already mentioned, but does anyone else find it interesting that Sylveon is currently the lightest Eeveelution? This might serve to hint at its Type, and moreover, strengthen its purported status as a Flying-type.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I...I will never understand just where the idea, the desire, or the rational for yet another type to be introduced comes from. It isn't even necessarily about type balance anymore, though that is a big reason why there's no reason to add more. It's just the fact that we are on generation SIX. The 17 type system worked great for FOUR generations. The only reason gen 2 had any type tweaks was because gen 1 was the very first generation, almost a beta, and had a crap ton of imbalances in all sorts of areas that had to be tweaked. Such problems don't exist in the meta right now. Just looking at numbers though, already from the past 5 generations we have 649 pokemon and 559 moves. Recent generations have been adding a bit over 100 pokemon and about 100 moves each. To have any semblance of numbers balance if you add in a new type, Gen 6 would have to make roughly 40 pokemon AND moves of the new type. From a sheer numbers perspective, that's already dedicating about 30-40% of new content to ONE TYPE out of 18, not even considering all of the internal type chart rebalancing that would have to take place, which at this late stage in the franchise's life would be more of a chaotic unbalance than anything else. May as well just reboot everything if you want that much of an upset to the current system.

Rant aside and back on topic though, I don't even see how Sylveon looks more like a "light" type than it would a flying type. She doesn't have wings, sure, but neither did Sky Forme Shaymin. She's not like...radiating sunlight or anything, hell Espeon was already labeled the Sun Pokemon among the eeveelutions, so Sylveon can't be. She fits plenty well as a flying type, or even a normal type if they want to throw that kind of curveball at us, but either way it works perfectly well.

ShadowsofTime

The Hidden Triforce God
Assuming nintendo follows their rules on pokemon naming, we can look at the origin of Sylveon's name to give us a type. Sylveon's name means forest, so we can assume it's a grass type. Leafeon, however, is a grass type. Sylveon, then, must be a new type. The new type also must have something to do with forests, which means with Sylveon, we will gain either a: leaf, wood, meadow type or some other photosynthetic type.

The new type also must have something to do with forests, which means with Sylveon, we will gain either a: leaf, wood, meadow type or some other photosynthetic type.

The problem is those types fall into the Grass Type category. There are grass type moves that are named after all of those types above except for meadow and lets be honest, we know there won't be a meadow type. Sylveon is more likely gonna be a normal type and possibly a flying Type. In case you didn't know there are normal Type Pokémon that have connections with the forest.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Assuming nintendo follows their rules on pokemon naming, we can look at the origin of Sylveon's name to give us a type. Sylveon's name means forest, so we can assume it's a grass type. Leafeon, however, is a grass type. Sylveon, then, must be a new type. The new type also must have something to do with forests, which means with Sylveon, we will gain either a: leaf, wood, meadow type or some other photosynthetic type.

If it must have something to do with forests, and we can't have another grass type, then a flying type seems likely. Since we already have the grass type, I see no reason to include a leaf, wood, or meadow type, since they'd pretty much all be nothing but altered versions of the existing grass type, which would be pointless, and would ruin the balance of the already near-perfected type system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom