• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Age of the Characters..

L

Lan_Hikari

To bring it back on topic: I noticed that in gametrailers' video they talked to someone from Nintendo of America (I'll find out who afterwards) and he only said it takes place "some time" after PH. The official site also never specifically mentions 100 years later, instead saying "for many years". If it was something that specific, wouldn't you think it would still be mentioned now? The 100 years came from an early interview that could easily have been a rounded figure, and Nintendo could have fiddled with a few things since that got said.

The official Japanese site also clearly names him as Niko, so it's him alright. I think it's highly possible (and I nice touch) some of the previous characters are in this game too :)

I believe that a few site owners have gotten their hands on the game and they said that it does take 100 years after PH because apparently it's stated in the beginning...but of course this can be wrong as I'm not 100% sure of this information as I don't remember where I heard it from.

Also, a magazine got their hands on the game and have said that a few other returning character from WW/PH are coming back along with Niko.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Oh, I don't know, I'm willing to stretch regular characters ages to around 200 as long as they are elderly and frail with it.

Also: a wizard did it.

Luminary knows TVTropes!

Oh, the hours that wiki has stolen from my life.... all the useless information.

I found out two days ago that something I created was cited there, too... a very old fanfiction I did for an obscure anime series (Haibane Renmei) was cited under one of the Fan Fiction examples indexes. I was stupidly exctactic. Anyway...

I'm willing to suspend disbelief on aging for the people of Hyrule (and other territories in their world). Some of the Hylian old men and women seem to be really, really old or are implied as such if I'm remembering correctly. I was playing a bit of Oracle of Ages today when I had a few spare minutes and met a Goron who spoke about a shop his *father* used to run - you find it when you go into the past and it is stated earlier in the game that the era you go to for Labrynna's past is *400 years ago* - so, apparently, some Gorons are nearly as old as the hills they live in...

Again, back to the more "human" type beings, I'd attribue a bit of magic to the ages of some of them. I mean, this is a world where you can heal wounds by drinking milk. This is a world where you can *float* safely from a several-story drop by *grabbing onto a chicken.* This is a world where there are little winged defibulators (fairies) flying around everywhere! I don't think Hyrule needs health care reform because they have all kinds of magic for that.

Why worry about heart disease when you can go to a spring and find a friendly fairy? Why worry too much about the normal bits of aging that spell the end for people that much with those kinds of things around? Of course, the magic probably gets drained out so that people aren't immortal, but I imagine stretching of age occurs.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
^Yes, but there have never been any sequels made that have the same exact character from a previous game (unless it was a monster/antagonist as they seem to live on forever).

ST is NOT a direct sequel yet it has continuing characters? I just don't like the idea of that.

Yeah, I don't like it that much either. I mean, golly, they're pushing the limits. Well at least link isn't and old guy though, I would be pretty darn mad if he was...

Megamannt125

Blue Link
^Yes, but there have never been any sequels made that have the same exact character from a previous game (unless it was a monster/antagonist as they seem to live on forever).

ST is NOT a direct sequel yet it has continuing characters? I just don't like the idea of that.
Star Wars episode 4 is a direct sequel to episode 3, yet the characters are completely different, with the exception of Obi Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader (Anakin), and Yoda, who are all old now, the main character in the fourth episode is not the same main character in the previous one, yet it follows the story years afterwards, Spirit Tracks takes the same exact path, it has recurring characters, and takes place after Phantom Hourglass, it is a direct sequel, and if not DIRECT, then a sequel none the less, therefore it is not unlikely that there is returning characters, this is just the first time Nintendo has placed such a long time period between 2 games, yet have returning characters.

Gohma

Mmmmmmmmmh... BOMBS
Zemen, I so agree with you =="
I don't want to see WW characters in ST, they shouldn't be there. Tetra was a young cute pirate, and I really don't want to see her old. I prefer to think that this is another generation, like "Niko's son", or "Tetra's daughter"... Look, Niko's even older than her, how could he still be alive?! Hylians or humans, only Koume and Kotake managed to live that old...
Really, I don't like that. This is gonna kill the characters. Tetra is perhaps my favorite character in the whole "video game universe". Don't kill her that way.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Star Wars episode 4 is a direct sequel to episode 3, yet the characters are completely different, with the exception of Obi Wan Kenobi, Darth Vader (Anakin), and Yoda, who are all old now, the main character in the fourth episode is not the same main character in the previous one, yet it follows the story years afterwards, Spirit Tracks takes the same exact path, it has recurring characters, and takes place after Phantom Hourglass, it is a direct sequel, and if not DIRECT, then a sequel none the less, therefore it is not unlikely that there is returning characters, this is just the first time Nintendo has placed such a long time period between 2 games, yet have returning characters.

Except episode 4 only takes place like 30 years after episode 3, not 100 years after which would long exceed the life expectancy of humans... That analogy doesn't work at all because the 2 movies have a reasonably small amount of time in between them to allow for previous characters to still be around. ST takes place 100 years later, and Nintendo has seemed to portray Hylians having the same life expectancy as us until now. I don't like that. This game is not a direct sequel because it doesn't feature the same Link. In my mind, if the same Link isn't featured, then no previous characters from a previous Link's generation should be featured. It's just as bad as if they did have the previous Link in the same game as the current Link. I would hate it, and I think a lot of other people would too.

Z

zelda1947

This is to Megamannt125, you dont need a game boy, just get a game cube with the adapter so you can play those games you want, I play them all the time on my game cube.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
how do we not know that in that time niko died and had a son by the same name we dont but im guessing that niko is just really old

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
how do we not know that in that time niko died and had a son by the same name we dont but im guessing that niko is just really old

Well, if this were the case then this new Niko would most likely not be this old. However, it's something to keep in mind. I think it's already been confirmed that it's the same Niko, but maybe we will be surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gohma

Mmmmmmmmmh... BOMBS
Look, it's possible that Niko (who is older than Link and Tetra) had a children right, or a few time after the events of PH...
The same for Tetra, let's say she had a children at 20, then her child would still be about 80 years old in ST...
It's 100 years after PH, it's completly possible that it is a new generation.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I agree, but that still doesn't change the fact that it seems to be confirmed to be the same Niko and there has even been talk that other past characters from WW/PH will be in this game. It would make sense to be a child of Niko or something, but who knows. We will just have to wait and see. I'm hoping it's a child of the original Niko.

Oathkeeper95

The Oath of Kinbaku, Tzion, Terra, and Iscariot.
Lets just say that hylians lifespans are longer than usual and be done with it. Lineback, jolene, koume , and kotake are all 100+ years old too you know! Besides, who says that tetra being all old will ruin her charecter? For all we know she can be those sarcastic angry grandmas that are hilarious to listen to.

I for one, dont really mind that much that Nikos coming back ,and if other charecters comeback as well then so be it. Hopefully this will be the perfect oppurtunity to add a series of inside-jokes that you have to play the other games to know about.

And one last thing. This IS the second/third generation you guys! Have you even seen that one guy Alfonso, the one that looks so much like Gonzo. They even have the same tatto!!

Gohma

Mmmmmmmmmh... BOMBS
I just hope it will remain an "easter egg" or something, I don't want those old characters to be implied too much in the main story. If nothing clear is said about their past, everyone would be able to make his own theory.

[Btw, as I didn't find any thread about this yet, why is the forum so ugly now?]

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
I just hope it will remain an "easter egg" or something, I don't want those old characters to be implied too much in the main story. If nothing clear is said about their past, everyone would be able to make his own theory.

[Btw, as I didn't find any thread about this yet, why is the forum so ugly now?]

Agreed, I don't want the old characters to be a big part of this new adventure.

Also, they currently updating the forum software and have to use this default template until the software is fully updated. Then they will be able to make their own custom template again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom