• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Agahnim?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Yes. Flesh him out and explore all the intricacies. ALL the intricacies! D:

Salem

SICK
Do we even know for a fact wither Agahnim is his own person, or he's an alternate form of Ganon?

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
thats to be debated Sroa, its been brought up a lot the past 6 or so months due to the vague reveal after the first battle, and how in te dark world Agahnim turns into a bat a scatters off, thats not very gannonly, i think all he did was succeed at was being one sneaky pedophile that not only got one of the sage maiden, but all seven, and strung Link along like a puppet doing his bidding, and breaking the seal, and giving him all he needed to open the portal to the Dark World. Making him almost the Ultimate Villein cuz he manipulated the hero into putting the gears in motion to revive Ganon.

Im a lil tired and out of my wits right now cuz i can barly keep my eyes open, but i hope all that made sense as to how he would be a good villein.

For those who believe he is Gannon, it could still work cuz if we got time travel as far as making it a prequel and sequel (which i must point out i think is a horrible idea), we could see how ganon was able to take the form of Agahnim while he was sealed away in the Sacred Realm. However i dont think he was sealed correctly due to the master sword being in Hyrule and not the Sacred Realm as it usually act as the Physical Binding of the seal, but it wasnt present, and ganon was sealed in the tower WITH the who triforce, which explains how he had the power to corrupt the Sacred Realm derasticly from within the tower, so its not to far fetch that he could have split his being/Soul, became what he knows best which was a warlock who gained the trust of king much like he did in OoT, got in good cuz he was doing things for the king that made his army stronger, so he was trusted even though Agahnim true agenda was for himself. so if we were to go before the events of ALttP, you got plenty of story to work with, and it would be cool if he were the main antagonist and being able to stop him from releasing the demon lord ganon, and after defeating agahnim you could finish the sealing war finally by sealing him the right way, taking the triforce, and what ever the source of his power it.

U got carried away but whether you think agahnim is Ganon or not, there is plent of material to make him a great main antagonist!

It would be interesting to see Agahnim acting on his own without Ganon pulling the strings. Since Nintendo is borrowing practically everything else from A Link to the Past with this game, what should stop from bringing back its original villain?

A Link Between World is essentially a newfangled, jazzed up remake of A Link to the Past anyway. Just Nintendo up to its usual antics, and the fans are falling for it hook, line, and sinker. That being said, it is likely that Agahnim, the chronological precursor to Ganondorf, will return in some way, shape, or form...

ILU

i luv u
Agahnim was Ganon's alter ego, according to the JP instruction manual. It was the English version that haphazardly threw in that he was Ganon's pawn. Hyrule Historia confirms that he's an alter ego.

So, I can't see him coming back unless Ganon comes back. Maybe having a similar villain.. Another wizard. Worked with Vaati, so why not?

Salem

SICK
Agahnim was Ganon's alter ego, according to the JP instruction manual. It was the English version that haphazardly threw in that he was Ganon's pawn. Hyrule Historia confirms that he's an alter ego.
Where in the japanese manual does it say that? I just checked but I couldn't find anything.

JoeDeLait

Zig Zag Wanderer
I'd like to see him sealed away by the maidens in some sort of prison but Link has to ask for his assistance for some task, finding Agahnim cowering and scared of Link as he resembles the one who defeated him.

Also, Hyrule Historia says that Agahnim is 'an offshoot of Ganon, sent forth from the Dark World.'

ILU

i luv u
Where in the japanese manual does it say that? I just checked but I couldn't find anything.
Sorry, I should have said "implies". Wrong choice of word. But again, the pawn thing was only in the English version.

I'd like to see him sealed away by the maidens in some sort of prison but Link has to ask for his assistance for some task, finding Agahnim cowering and scared of Link as he resembles the one who defeated him.

Also, Hyrule Historia says that Agahnim is 'an offshoot of Ganon, sent forth from the Dark World.'

Actually, only Dark Horse's English translation uses the term "offshoot" while the original translator for the official translation used the common term, "alter ego."

Hyrule Historia, Page 094 Aria Tanner*Hyrule Historia, Page 094-DH
Agahnim
A dark wizard who threw Hyrule into chaos. His true identity is Ganon’s alter ego.
Agahnim (DarkHorse)
A priest of darkness who plunges Hyrule into chaos. In truth, he is an offshoot of Ganon, sent forth from the Dark World.
*Aria Tanner is GlitterBerri, who was responsible for pages 84 to 239. She has stated her work was edited. Her translations are still available.

Again, pawn was used in the English version, with "alter ego" being the most used term to reference Agahnim. "Offshoot" is a broad term that could be used to imply he is somewhat separate, but also still attached and being part of Ganon. It can also imply being an alter ego. DarkHorse probably chose this term to give canonical but vague information without delving into the debate, or just to sound fancy. Probably the latter, since both translations are using a synonymous term in this case. See below:

The kanji used to refer to Agahnim's role is 分身 (Bunshin) which literally translates as follows:
parturition; delivery; one's child; branch; offshoot; one's other self (alter ego)
Therefore, the term "offshoot" is being used as a synonym for "alter ego." Both translations refer to the same state of being, strongly suggesting that he is indeed an alter ego and not a separate being.

JoeDeLait

Zig Zag Wanderer
Actually, only Dark Horse's English translation uses the term "offshoot" while the original translator for the official translation used the common term, "alter ego."

Again, pawn was used in the English version, with "alter ego" being the most used term to reference Agahnim. "Offshoot" is a broad term that could be used to imply he is somewhat separate, but also still attached and being part of Ganon. It can also imply being an alter ego. DarkHorse probably chose this term to give canonical but vague information without delving into the debate, or just to sound fancy. Probably the latter, since both translations are using a synonymous term in this case. See below:

The kanji used to refer to Agahnim's role is 分身 (Bunshin) which literally translates as follows:
parturition; delivery; one's child; branch; offshoot; one's other self (alter ego)
Therefore, the term "offshoot" is being used as a synonym for "alter ego." Both translations refer to the same state of being, strongly suggesting that he is indeed an alter ego and not a separate being.

Thank you, I was just quoting from the book right in front of me, but at no point did I disagree in saying that he wasn't an alter ego, I hope this is all cleared up now :). Also I prefer Dark Horse's translation, 'A priest of darkness' is so much cooler than simply 'A dark wizard'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom