• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Agahnim?

I'd rather not see Agahnim return. He'd fit best in a prequel, which we know A Link Between Worlds is not.

There isn't much that could be added to him gameplay wise either. He's a lightning bolt firin', energy ball blastin' baddie that's a bygone product of older, more formulaic Zelda game development.

Fiery Klongo

I Am Mardric
I would love to see him come back as a ghost of sorts. I think it would lack a certain Zelda feel. To tell the truth, if they bring him back it would be too reused, but if they add a new boss then it would be more interesting and fun, trying to figure out who the guy is.

Salem

SICK
I'm just quoting the text, I'm not all knowledgeable :silent:
I see, no problem.

Sorry, I should have said "implies". Wrong choice of word. But again, the pawn thing was only in the English version.
Oh, that's ok.

Actually, only Dark Horse's English translation uses the term "offshoot" while the original translator for the official translation used the common term, "alter ego."

Hyrule Historia, Page 094 Aria Tanner*Hyrule Historia, Page 094-DH
Agahnim
A dark wizard who threw Hyrule into chaos. His true identity is Ganon’s alter ego.
Agahnim (DarkHorse)
A priest of darkness who plunges Hyrule into chaos. In truth, he is an offshoot of Ganon, sent forth from the Dark World.
*Aria Tanner is GlitterBerri, who was responsible for pages 84 to 239. She has stated her work was edited. Her translations are still available.

Again, pawn was used in the English version, with "alter ego" being the most used term to reference Agahnim. "Offshoot" is a broad term that could be used to imply he is somewhat separate, but also still attached and being part of Ganon. It can also imply being an alter ego. DarkHorse probably chose this term to give canonical but vague information without delving into the debate, or just to sound fancy. Probably the latter, since both translations are using a synonymous term in this case. See below:

The kanji used to refer to Agahnim's role is 分身 (Bunshin) which literally translates as follows:
parturition; delivery; one's child; branch; offshoot; one's other self (alter ego)
Therefore, the term "offshoot" is being used as a synonym for "alter ego." Both translations refer to the same state of being, strongly suggesting that he is indeed an alter ego and not a separate being.
In other words, it implies that Agahnim is not a person on his own, he's just Ganon in a different form, at least that's my understanding. So bringing him is simply bringing back Ganon as the main villain.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I think a cool way for Agahnim to come back, NOT IN THIS GAME, but say someone knew read history about him and found out he had great power, so a "good guy" studies him, gains the powers he had with the intention for good, just to find out that Agahnim was the very essence of Ganon, and BAM, a crazy accidental revival of Ganon, who is so sinister cuz hes so happy to be back in an world thats not expecting him.

but that wouldnt work for this game i dont think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom