• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

After all these years AIM is finally dead

Djinn

and Tonic
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture...mail&utm_content=daily&utm_campaign=100617_17

AOL is shutting down its instant messaging service, AIM, after a two-decade run. The company announced Friday that the chat app, which launched in 1997, will "no longer work" as of December 15th.

"If you were a Nineties kid, chances are there was a point in time when AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) was a huge part of your life," he wrote. "You likely remember the CD, your first screenname, your carefully curated away messages, and how you organized your buddy lists. Right now you might be reminiscing about how you had to compete for time on the home computer in order to chat with friends outside of school. You might also remember how characters throughout pop culture from You've Got Mail to Sex and the City used AIM to help navigate their relationships. In the late 1990s, the world had never seen anything like it. And it captivated all of us."

I'm actually surprised it stuck around this long. Cannot think of the last time I saw it but apparently people were still on it.

Ninja

Well well well
So many memories are from AIM. From the classic dialing tone to the custom away messages, sounds, and hilarious chat rooms.

I can say the same for MSN messenger, that was a great tool that a lot of my gaming buddies used to group chat with.

Not sure if it’s still up but Yahoo instant messenger was great for voice chat as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom