• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art Adventure to Skyloft

Ganondork

goo
Hey there guys! It's been a bit of time since I last posted something in the writing section, and I felt it was fitting to come back with a rewrite for one of my oldest fan fictions; Adventure to Skyloft. I'll be changing a lot as I go, and it will take a long time to complete, but I assure everyone that it will be an interesting story. I hope you all enjoy it.

Prologue​

It was early morning, and the sun had just begun its journey into the azure sky, spreading warmth and light as it lazily sailed alongside the clouds. A slight breeze accompanied it that day, whistling a faint tune that it had learned long ago, playing with the grass that swayed to and fro with the wind. The trees, stubborn with old age, were reluctant to entertain these pantomimes. Still, they could not help but allow their leaves to move in the breeze, as the rhythm was overpowering for even the sturdiest of topiary.

This mesh of the green grass, and the dark brown of the bark on the trees mixed together to create a beautiful scene of nature. Yet, this beautiful array of greens and brown gave way to a small clearing. In the center of this clearing, the woodland animals gathered to behold the pedestal newly erected in the center of the expanse. It barely jutted out of the ground, but its shade of gray so starkly conflicted with the color of the other colors that it stood out and distinguished itself in the clearing with relative ease.

The sound of footsteps within the dense forest was enough to startle some of the woodland creatures; squirrels scurried up the trees, deer ran to the safety of the trees, and birds retreated to their nests. Three figures soon emerged from the forest, two in front, and one lagging behind. The one to the left had hair that was a fiery shade of red, the one on the right had hair resembling that of the forests they had exited moments ago, and the one behind them had hair resembling an oceanic shade of blue. All of them appeared very young, and all appeared extremely delicate. Yet, the two in front had a fiery passion to them, while the one behind them seemed reluctant to even be in their presence.

“Farore, you are a fool,” the girl with red hair said, waving her hands emphatically. “Why would you even consider trusting the Ones Who Resemble Us? They are a warring people who are so self-absorbed that they don’t even realize that they are destroying the land we labored to create.”

Farore gave her a look of disgust, her lips curled back in a snarl. “You are so trusting of the Beasts, when it is they who have forsaken us. They are heretics, whereas the Hylians, Subrosians, Gerudo, and Kokiri still remain faithful to us. We can still influence them; the Beasts will ignore us, and take our Gift without any regard for their Creators.”

“Do you not see, Farore, have you gone blind? The Beasts at least have created organization among their ranks; the Ones Who Resemble Us still live in caves, hunting and scavenging. The Beasts have learned to grow things themselves and are showing signs of self-sufficiency. They more than deserve this Gift, as they are the superior people.”

Farore shook her head in disbelief. “Din, you are the one who is blind. You favor them because you are the one who created them. I hold no allegiance to The Ones Who Resemble Us, for they are not of my design.”

Din, ignoring Farore, turned to the girl with the blue hair. “Nayru, who do you feel is more deserving of our Gift? Are the Beasts not the most superior people in this land? The Moblins have shown exemplary skills in war, whereas the Hylians still use egregious means – using wooden and stone tools. They do not deserve to have our Gift in their presence; the Beasts do.”

Nayru seemed to falter for a moment. She was awestruck at the fact that she was now pulled into this altercation. With great recalcitrance, she said, “Neither is truly superior to the other. While the Moblins succeed in battle, the Hylians are more resourceful and adaptive. They are both deserving of our Gift, and should both be awarded it evenly.”

Din and Farore both turned to Nayru, anger in their eyes. “How could you be so obtuse?” Farore lashed out at Nayru, missing her delicate body by a few inches. Nayru flinched, growing more reserved with each moment. “Neither can evenly share our Gift, as it is made up of three parts. Besides, the two would never make peace over this; they would fight to the death over the pieces that they don’t have in their possession.”

Nayru hung her head down, all desire to speak now gone. Farore turned back to Din, now triumphant that she had silenced Nayru. “Do you have anything left to say? I will win this argument, as I always do.”

Din turned away, shaking her head. “No. I am done playing your mind games. That’s what separates the two of us; all you do is talk, whereas I act. We don’t need to decide for them – they can decide for themselves. We will leave our Gift here, and whoever is resourceful enough to find it first can claim it for themselves. We will see in time who the superior kind is.”

Din left the clearing, unable to overcome the feeling of chagrin that now overwhelmed her. Farore stood there for a moment, exultant to have seemingly won yet again. The moment soon passed, however, and a feeling of skepticism came over her; what if the Hylians failed? She couldn’t afford to let Din emerge victorious. It was then that she knew what to do.

She walked to the edge of the clearing, brought her hands together, and forced them apart with all of her might. The sky seemed to move along with her hands as they pulled away from one another, ripping the sky itself apart. Within the crevice, she saw a scene before her; a man walking lackadaisically across a large plain. With a smile on her face, she knew what had to be done. She walked through the forest, ignoring the animals that came to greet her. The world seemed to fly by her as she walked with a purpose. She soon came to an end, a large drop off from the ground she stood on. Underneath the low layer of clouds that gathered beneath the expanse of land she was on, Farore knew there was an entire land below her. Without a second thought, she jumped into the clouds.

Nayru had not moved a step. She couldn’t suppress the feeling of dismay as she had watched Din and Farore feud over the Gift. With a snap of her fingers, it appeared in her hand; three triangles, two acting as a base, and a single one sitting atop the others. With a sigh, she placed it on the pedestal, where it floated a few feet over it. “I didn’t think it would come to this.”

With another snap of her fingers, Nayru too left. The clearing was now empty, save for the Gift. It stood alone, awaiting for the day that the hero would come and claim it.

Last edited:

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
So far, so good. Nice to see you back on the Writing forums, it's been a while. I'll be keeping an eye on where you go with this.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I didn't read it, but from the one or two words I read, like "farore" and "triumphant", it was nice.

8/10

Would skim over quickly again. :)

Sheik

:the:
I didn't read it, but from the one or two words I read, like "farore" and "triumphant", it was nice.

8/10

Would skim over quickly again. :)
Ditto.jpg
But, seriously, good job, Keith, and good luck on the Writing Forum Rejuvination Project, as I would like to call it.

You write good, but there is something that I would like to ask. How on Earth did you post this so swiftly?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Yes Keith is back :D Okay now I can sit down and read your stories. The prologue is a good thing. The descriptions make it easier to picture. I wonder what you will come up with next ;)

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
A nice perspective from the Three Goddesses of Hyrule; each of them are in character with the principles that they represent. As usual, the beginning provides good foundation for the the upcoming events. Keep up the descriptive illustrations of actions and dialogue, as you already have.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I wasn't expecting a story about the goddesses, and was pleasantly surprised. Hylia will make an appearance later, right? It's very intriguing how Din thinks the moblins are better than the hylians, and their whole argument reminds me a bit of real world mythologies, where the gods are always interacting with each other.

Farore mentioned kokiri and gerudo, but those don't show up until OoT. And I know this is before SS since they also said the hylians still live in caves and are cavemen. So...why were there no kokiri/gerudo in SS? A bit of a flaw there, but overall it's a great start.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
It was a good beginning. The only complaint I have is that during the part of Farore's actions with the sky, I found myself rather confused. What had she torn apart? Other than that you distinguished the characters well and gave pretty vivid surroundings.

Ganondork

goo
Hey guys! Thanks for the awesome feedback - critique or otherwise. It's an enormous help! Be sure to check out this thread on new ideas to help make the writing forum more accessible and community-oriented.

Dragoncat said:
Farore mentioned kokiri and gerudo, but those don't show up until OoT. And I know this is before SS since they also said the hylians still live in caves and are cavemen. So...why were there no kokiri/gerudo in SS? A bit of a flaw there, but overall it's a great start.

Definitely a great point. Thank you for raising it. Unfortunately, it's a flaw I'm going to have to accept, as the Gerudo will be playing a somewhat important role in the story.

Dr. Horrible said:
The only complaint I have is that during the part of Farore's actions with the sky, I found myself rather confused. What had she torn apart? Other than that you distinguished the characters well and gave pretty vivid surroundings.

Thank you for the feedback. I was trying to create the idea of tearing the fabrics of space as being one of the goddesses' powers, but it's evident I didn't elaborate enough. I will try my best to improve on that.

Chapter 2​

The Subrosian race was a nomadic people. They occupied much of Hyrule field, basking in the warmth of the sun, whose warm embrace gave them life. They were a superstitious people who looked to the stars at a single goddess; Hylia. She resided, according to the Leader, in SkyLand, the mysterious landmass that floated in the sky. She gave her blessing to the Subrosians when they needed it most; during times of droughts, wars amongst man and beast, and when the Poes plagued the plains.

These were things I was told as I grew up. Life as a Subrosian was a difficult one, full of times of famine and hardships. Still, we were resourceful, so we thrived. Still, even on the day of my eighteenth birthday, there were doubts in my mind; was the Subrosian life unfit for me, or was I meant for something more?

I had dreamt of this day my entire life; it was the day that Hylia herself descended down to Hyrule to give the coming-of-age-Subrosian her blessing. She never descended directly, but rather would show us a sign of her presence. These signs would guide us through the remainder of our life.

I knew not what was in store, but I was hopeful for the future.

***​

It was late in the morning when I finally arose from my housing. It was a cheap construct made of wooden poles and the hides of the great beasts that resided on the plains we inhabited. The hide was tanned, taking on a shade of dark brown. The sticks, worn with age, needed to be replaced once we followed the beasts during their migration.

As I stepped outside, I was greeted by another Subrosian. He was garbed in a black robe that reached down to his ankles. He was barefoot, his feet unclean from the all of the dirt that was festering on the soles. He gave me a warm smile, baring white teeth that shone in the rays of the afternoon sunlight.

“It is your big day, Link,” he said, bowing his head. I mimicked the gesture and returned his smile. I gave him my thanks and proceeded to the Leader’s tent. It was located on the far side of our temporary camp. The outside of the tent was decorated with pictures of the great beasts that gave their lives so that we could shelter ourselves. They walked on four feet, were covered in a thin layer of brown fur, and had a large hump on its back.

I took a deep breath, unsure of what I was going to say to the Leader, and stepped inside. The inside of the tent was very simple; the only furnishing to be found was that of his bed, a small cot that was made of the fur of the great beasts. It was similar to the same cot that I slept in, which came as a surprise to me; wouldn’t our Leader sleep on a far more ornate piece of furniture? I tried not to dwell on these thoughts and turned my attention to him. He sat on the floor, cross-legged, and in the center of the tent.

“Ah, Link, I was expecting you.” He rose and greeted me with a nod. I bowed, dipping my head low. “The celebrations shall begin tonight. A hunting party is being assembled; go see if you can join them. If you come back with anything, we will roast it at the bonfire and you will have the first cut of the meat.”

My eyes lit up – I had never been given such a great opportunity! He watched me with his light blue eyes, smiling. “Go now, before they leave without you.” I gave him a nod, a quick bow, and ran out of the tent.

***​

The hunting party was assembled when I met at the usual rendezvous point, but they were more than happy to let me tag along. It was my first hunt without one of the senior hunters watching behind me. I was already seeing the advantages of my transition to manhood, and it only fueled to the exhilaration that I felt. With a spear in my hands, we all rushed across the plains. Adrenaline pulsed through my veins, giving me unprecedented speed and agility as we scanned the horizon for any game. We weren’t on the hunt for deer, pheasant, or any smaller game – we were looking for a great beast.

Alongside me were three other Subrosians, all dressed in small loins made from the hides of deer. We were all bare-chested, many of them far more muscular than I was. We were all tanned from years of living under the harsh sun. As much as we appreciated her blessings, the sun took her toll on us, especially late in the day.

We were far from our encampment and still hadn’t so much as seen a trace of a great beast. Sweat was gathering on my forehead, and I pushed my blonde hair out of the way so that I could wipe it off. “It’s not looking too good, Link.” The Subrosian next to me knocked me out of his stupor as he said my name. “I don’t think we’re going to find much today. It’d be best if we just head back and call it a day.” The disappointment was evident on my face as I gave a feeble nod. “I’m sorry.”

“Hey wait,” Another Subrosian a few feet away called out to us. “I think I found a footprint!” We all hurried over to see what he was talking about. Imprinted in the ground was the shape of a large foot. It had three toes, all close together, but with enough space in between to make a notable indentation; much like that of a great beast. It was more than clear to all of us that the hunt was still on.

We headed in the direction that the footprint faced and came to a small cave. What the cave lacked in height it made up for in depth. The innards of the cavern were shrouded in darkness, but we heard the faint sounds of breathing. It was clear to us that there was a great beast in the confines of the cave.

We all headed inside of the cave – half of us leaning towards the left wall, the other half heading towards the right. The darkness gave the beast an advantage over us, but we were able to prevent getting lost by keeping our hands on the cave’s walls. The sound of the others’ breathing reassured me that they had not diverted to a hidden path that we had not known about. The sound of the great beast’s breathing was loud and lumbering; we were sure that it was asleep. Still, I knew asleep did not necessarily mean defenseless.

The darkness lightened as we reached what seemed to be the end of the cave. We could make out a faint silhouette of the beast. It was curled up into a ball as best as it could, no doubt defending its vulnerable stomach. Upon looking up, I was able to locate the dim source of light – a small crack in the roof of the cave. I turned to the other hunters, unsure of how to proceed. Already, they were motioning to each other to surround it. With one final gesture, he gave the signal for me to get behind it.

With a lump in my throat, I did as I was told and got behind the great beast. We all crept into place as stealthily as we could. When we were all in place, I felt a pair of hands around my waist. Surprise – and fear – got the best of me, and a small yelp escaped my throat. Almost as soon as the sound was made, another hand was over my mouth, stifling any further noise. It was too late, though.

The great beast had already awoken. It let out a loud bellow as it stood up. The grip on my waist tightened, and I felt my legs lift off the ground. I could only watch as I was hoisted onto the great beast’s hump as it stirred into a frenzy. Without any warning, it charged out of the cave. I clung to a patch of its fur with one hand and held my spear in another. I was disoriented for a long time, unable to adjust to the ever-increasing speed of the great beast.

Upon exiting the cave, it thrashed its head around, dislodging a part of the rock formation. The force of his rampage left me struggling to keep my grip both on my weapon, and on the beast itself. The adrenaline now pumped through my veins, causing them to pulsate along my bicep.

Time seemed to slow down for a moment. The rising and falling of my body as the great beast galloped in slow-motion seemed to almost halt. It was then that I saw something. It was a flash of green in my peripheral vision. For a split second, the entire world seemed to stop. My mind was now clear – there was no fear, no apprehension. I was at peace for a single moment. But when I turned my head, it was already gone.

And that’s when time sped up again. The inertia almost threw my off of the beast, but I clung for dear life. I raised my spear high, preparing to end the struggle. I plunged the spear downward, aiming right behind the bison’s skull.

I felt the initial penetration of the spear. The feeling of piercing the flesh was followed by a spray of blood. The bellow of the beast turned to screeches as it lost its footing. The two of us hit the ground, I losing my balance and flying off of the great beast. As I sailed through the air, the beast’s vociferations echoed throughout the plains. Birds scattered, releasing cries of their own as they flew to the safety of the sky. I tumbled to the ground, rolling over and over.

I dared not look up, lest I see the sight of an enraged, but still living, beast charging at me. My arm hurt, but it was not broken. With a groan, I pulled myself to my knees and reluctantly looked in the direction of the beast, whose screams of agony had died down. It lay on its side, limp and unmoving. The spear, still protruding out of the beast, was stained red at the base.

The Subrosians were close behind now, as they were all calling out to me. I didn’t give any indication of hearing them, and rather hauled myself to my feet and limped to the fallen beast. It looked at me with blank eyes, glazed over, and emotionless. Despite that, its lips were curled in a frown, begging for my help. I would always remember that face.

When I looked up from my fallen prey, I saw the Subrosians all there, smiling. “Well done, brother!” one said, patting me on the back. In his hand was a small knife. He gave it to me, and gave me an encouraging nod. “Do the final rites. You earned it today.”

I kneeled down, looking at the beast at eye-level. I put my hand on his side for a moment, mourning its passing. “Thank you Hylia,” I said, “For providing us with your most divine blessings. We will not squander this benediction.” I turned my attention to the beast itself, whose corpse was growing colder by the moment. “I also thank you for your sacrifice. You will not be forgotten.” I plunged the knife into his side, and made the first incision.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Not bad, not bad at all. I really enjoyed your description of the hunt. I had a pretty clear picture in my head. I really liked the details. I was just confused about one thing; what was that part about Link feeling hands on his waist and throwing him onto the great beast? I don't get it. Was that one of the other Subrosians, or was it something else...? At any right, it could be explained in the next chapter. So I'll be looking forward to that. c:

Kirino

Tatakae
Great chapter, and, aside from a few minor mistakes, almost nothing bad to say about it. Although, and maybe it's just me, but I was pretty confused about who or what exactly put his hands on Link, and how he even got on the beast in the first place. Aside from that, you were very descriptive, your wording was excellent, and you did a great job of building up suspense near the end and keeping me interested. It was also a really neat twist to have Link be a Subrosian, and I like how you used that as an opportunity to make your own culture for and explore the race, especially considering how minor it is in the series itself.

I like it. =)

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Subrosian Link? Good idea! It seems like the hylians arent the only ones who worship Hylia...speaking of which, I'm curious whether you're depicting subrosians as a hominid species like gerudos and hylians, or...whatever they're supposed to be in the games they're in.

Where as I was reminded of greek mythology with your last chapter, now I am reminded of Spore lol. My brain is weird...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom