• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Adventure of Link: Underappriciated and Underloved

dazzsheil

All Hail Shadow
Zelda II. The black sheep of the Zelda games,why? Cause its different,but is that really a bad thing? No. Adventure of Link is my Favorite Zelda game because of its superb gameplay and excellent level/world design. Its easy to understand why most people dislike Zelda II as I admit, it is quite an unforgiving challenge BUT it has one of Nintendos best gameplay designs ever with the EXP Level up system(Unlike most action RPG'S Zelda II Had 3 Unique ways to level up your character) and platforming segments. Its an underloved Gem for the NES. Give it a chance.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
I gave it a chance.. but link using magic is unreal for me It is a important game and introduced the third triforce piece and Dark Link. But, for the likes of me, we wanted the adventure (Sorry, I had to) that the first one had.

And thus, Alttp was born.

But I wonder how this game is underappreciated, and the Paper Mario and RPG games of Mario are overrated.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
I agree, I think it's great, and all the stuff about it being super difficult isn't true i my opinion. I thought the first game was a lot harder than Adventure of Link.

N

NathanSalsa

I think it's pretty good, it's a little confusing because it doesn't really give you any specific direction on where to go at the beginning but when you figure it out, it can be a pretty fun game. I also think the graphics are cool too!

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
AoL is, indeed, one of my top 3 Zelda titles, but then maybe this is because for the longest time it was the only Zelda title I had to play back on the NES. (A friend owned LoZ, so to my parents, it didn't warrant being purchased as my friend and I were always hanging out.)

I think what amuses me about how people dislike the game so much is the game is exactly what people want out of a Zelda title these days. The main two points that people keep asking for in new Zelda titles are right there - It's loose in terms of your next goal, the difficulty is more than that of modern Zelda titles. Even lesser elements asked for by fans for upcoming titles are there in more RPG-like systems, more towns to visit, and the use of magic. So, it makes me shake my head when the same people asking for a combination of these elements in new titles dislike the game or don't even give it a try. I think they truly don't know what they want from their Zelda when I read these conflicting feelings.

It displeases me to see fans these days say it was always the black sheep. Back in my day (there, I said it, I'm old), AoL was the best of the NES. At the time of its release, no one cared it was different form the first game. It was well recieved, topped many Top 10 lists and was not considered bad by any means. The idea that it's the black sheep came with time, as the series changed direction back to the original formula. With each new release, it's pushed into it's own category, but when there were only two Zelda titles, even 3 and 4, it was still loved.

It also displeases me to see how many newer Zelda fans (and yes, I include "as of Ocarina of Time" in this category, since it was 12 years after the first, and therefore 12 years after I was a fan), won't even give the game a shot. It's a mere $5 on the Virtual Console these days. The only excuses not to try it are that you don't have a Wii, or $5. And I'm betting if you have the first, then the odds are you have $5. :P

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's only underloved because of the difficulty spike after the first dungeon. Enemies can decimate you with little to no effort on your part, even simply walking proves a hazard! It's not even funny - how many times I must've fell in the water only to lose my hard earned Link Dolls forever.

Basement24 does have a point though, people are asking for all sorts of things in these newer Zeldas that AoL had. The only thing I don't like about it is the difficulty. It's too high for me, I'm not one of the best players so I've never gotten past the 3rd Palace without using cheats! (Yes, that's the only way to complete AoL if you aren't an extremely good player)
The game's use of magic, different kind of Health system, somewhat diverse items and RPG elements were really well done in my opinion, and they could easily transfer to a 3D Zelda game though many people both on ZD and across other sites are against that simply because of AoL's difficulty. I say it could be toned down approx. 1.5x (e.g Enemies' attacks aren't virtually unevadable and they do a lot less damage though not too little) and then transfered to a 3D Zelda, that would make for a really good base. Throw on an intriguing story, and there we have AoL version 2.0!

The only thing I don't like about it is the difficulty. It's too high for me, I'm not one of the best players so I've never gotten past the 3rd Palace without using cheats! (Yes, that's the only way to complete AoL if you aren't an extremely good player)
That is not true. I am defenitely not one of the best players and i beat thte 3rd temple without cheats. It took me a while and a lot of game overs, but i still beat it.

JasonXP

Its a Secret to Everybody
I've beaten this game maybe six times now, I love it! Actually I find the difficulty spike to be at the very beginning, and from there it's OK if you level up right. I think the game developers assumed you would be wandering around a lot, trying to find dungeons/items and you would level up a lot. The first time I played this game, without a walkthrough, I leveled up a lot very early. Now that I know exactly where everything is I level up a lot less and the game is much harder. This is great because it adds to the challenge. The faster you play it, the harder it gets!

As for the difficulty, most attacks are avoidable, though it's difficult. For example with the Gorias you just have to attack them as quickly as possible before there are too many boomerangs to avoid. I'm a Mario fan and the biggest difference between the two series is that you can afford to take some hits and leave tough enemies behind in Zelda, particularly in the first Zelda. But to be honest you can figure out how to beat any enemy using slowdown if you're on an emulator.

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
To me, this is the most underrated Zelda game (Not including CD-i) for one reason only- difficulty. This game is great if you can get over that point, but most people just can't and get turned off by it. If the game had an easy mode, I think that it would be an actually pretty popular Zelda game, praised for- as you mentioned- gameplay and level design, and its uniqueness to stand out in the series. But it's really too challenging for most people to get through, which is rather sad since it's such a good game.

Zelda II. The black sheep of the Zelda games,why? Cause its different,but is that really a bad thing? No. Adventure of Link is my Favorite Zelda game because of its superb gameplay and excellent level/world design. Its easy to understand why most people dislike Zelda II as I admit, it is quite an unforgiving challenge BUT it has one of Nintendos best gameplay designs ever with the EXP Level up system(Unlike most action RPG'S Zelda II Had 3 Unique ways to level up your character) and platforming segments. Its an underloved Gem for the NES. Give it a chance.

I already think it might be my fave. :D

donkey kong

Juicy pants.
Zelda II is my second favorite Zelda game. I like it a lot but I'm having trouble getting past the trail that leads to the final palace :p. Also I can't even save state because I have the original NES cartridge. I have gotten at least 50 game overs and I only made it to the final palace once. :( . My third favorite is OOT and my favorite is ALTTP.

Zelda II is my second favorite Zelda game. I like it a lot but I'm having trouble getting past the trail that leads to the final palace :p. Also I can't even save state because I have the original NES cartridge. I have gotten at least 50 game overs and I only made it to the final palace once. :( . My third favorite is OOT and my favorite is ALTTP.

I basically Fairy my way through that section, and then once you get to the palace, just hit Continue when you run out of lives, and you'll start back at the Great palace again. :)

JasonXP

Its a Secret to Everybody
Go as quickly as you can through the Valley of Death.;)

Otherwise, use Shield+Jump and beat all the Moas (think that's what they're called) before you make a jump. That's important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom