• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Adventure of Link: Do You Recommend It?

Well, since my introduction to the series in August 2010, I've played all of the 3D Console titles: Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and I just a few days ago finished up Twilight Princess. So now that I've played the more recent and advanced Zelda games, I've decided to try out the Classics. I downloaded the original LoZ and A Link to the Past off the Wii Virtual Console, and I haven't gotten very far in either of them, but I like them. So, I've been watching some gameplay of AoL, and it doesn't look ALL that terrible, despite all the hate directed at the game for being different and extremely difficult. It's a lot more RPG-ish and it's a side scroller, much different than the traditional Zelda formula. But at that point, the series hadn't really defined itself, but I digress. Should I download it off the Virtual Console? I'll probably rip my hair out if the difficulty is as bad as I hear it is, but I'm willing to try. Should I?

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I found it at a local Play N Trade for $3 while searching for other GB/GBA Zelda games and bought it. I haven't played more than two minutes of it, though. Oh, I actually have the DX version.

jack546

The chosen one
it's realy tough to beat i died about fifteen times on the first boss with the sheild spell but it's a very good game for a hardcore gammer.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
My problem with Zelda 2 is that the difficulty is all over the place. The game starts out alright, you have no problems getting to the first dungeon, the first boss is challenging, but beatable, and then there is no learning curve at all, the game just throws you into Hades from there. Puzzles with horribly cryptic clues, puzzles with no clues at all, and then suddenly it gets easier again, at least until you reach Death Mountain, when all hope is lost.
Coupled with the "only three lives, and then you have to start from the beginning again" gameplay, there's just too much frustration that could have easily been avoided.

Is it bad? No. Do I recommend it? Not really. Only to fans of the series that have played the other games. And even then only with a word of warning.

My problem with Zelda 2 is that the difficulty is all over the place. The game starts out alright, you have no problems getting to the first dungeon, the first boss is challenging, but beatable, and then there is no learning curve at all, the game just throws you into Hades from there. Puzzles with horribly cryptic clues, puzzles with no clues at all, and then suddenly it gets easier again, at least until you reach Death Mountain, when all hope is lost.
Coupled with the "only three lives, and then you have to start from the beginning again" gameplay, there's just too much frustration that could have easily been avoided.

Is it bad? No. Do I recommend it? Not really. Only to fans of the series that have played the other games. And even then only with a word of warning.

When you say that you have to start over from the beginning after you lose your three lives, do you mean it like the original Super Mario, where EVERYTHING starts over, it's as if you just put the game into the system and started playing, or do you mean that you simply start over from where your quest began, don't have to do anything over again, you're simply back in the area where you started?

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
You don't start back in the area where you died, you start from the temple in the middle of Hyrule. You still have all the spells you learned, and all the items, heart containers and magic containers you found. You still have the same level you had when you died, but all experience points over that level are gone. That means that if you were five EXP away from levelling up, you've got to do all of that again. If you found any EXP-bags (some are dropped by enemies, others are hidden at various places all over Hyrule), then they are gone, making it harder to get those points back that you lost. If you found any extra lives, they are gone, you only have three again, and you'll never be able to get those extra lives again, they are lost forever. If you died while fighting a dungeon boss, then you have to go all the way to that dungeon again, and some of those paths are hardcore. And then you have to fight your way through the whole dungeon again (all doors are open, though).

i really recommend it. it's not as hard as everyone says as long as you have some skill and a little patience. it IS pretty hard, but not megaman or ninja gaiden hard. it's a really fun game if you don't mind losing sometimes. the only part you might hate is death mountain, which is pretty dang hard, but you can still get through it.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
AoL is a tricky game to recommend to anyone who is not a hardcore gamer. The game is very frustrating for all the reasons stated in previous posts, but it's still a good game. I would get it, but be warned that you might pull your hair out in frustration. At the same time, if you beat AoL, it feels incredibly satisfying.

Given that I have some experience in hair-pulling games, and the game doesn't look ALL that terrible (just a little different, with sidescrolling and RPG elements) I think I'll eventually get it. Thanks guys!

pacpix

AWESOME
I picked this up a couple days ago along with a nes for about 5 bucks(w/out nes) and i have to say it is the hardest game i have ever played. If you are tired of all the boring casual games coming out now get it right away. Just don't give up, i have died like twenty times and im only halfway through. Make sure you are patient

Retsdob

Retsdob
Definatly. It is one of my favorite Zelda Games, and once you get used to the play mechanics and style it becomes a lot easier. For me the first temple was the most difficult, then it just got progressivly easier....excluding the final one.

D

Daydreamerawake

I'd recommend it, but get some more 2D Zelda's under your belt before you tackle AOL. It wont necessarily make it easier, but you'll get a better feel on how 2D Zelda's work, and with AOL thats not a bad thing.

D

Darth Link

I'd recommend it.

The game is hard, but once you get the hang of it you should enjoy it. Beware: the penultimate boss will make you want to tear your hair out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom