• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adding a Vertical Dimension to Exploration

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
So, with BotW having a glorious climbing mechanic, it opened up a whole new realm of exploration for us. We no longer needed to follow set paths through the overworld, we could literally climb right past everything if we wanted. Climbing around was a necessity in a lot of exploration. I want to hear your thoughts on not only bringing this mechanic into the next Zelda game, but also expanding on it.

BotW treated us to a massive world full of exploration, and there were lots of climbing and high places involved in that. But something I've noticed is that they're all generally relegated to big mountains. That's not a bad thing, but something I am interested in seeing is this vertical approach being used in dungeons. For example, not only would we be exploring a labyrinth-like dungeon in a "traditional" sense, it would have several higher floors in which we can freely climb our way through. This would open up possibilities for hidden paths, more places to hide treasure, and more exploration in general. And much like BotW's Hyrule Castle, we would be able to tackle it how we choose. I think that would be a lot of fun.

I also think this vertical approach would do wonders for a big city. Imagine a Castle Town with lots of tall buildings and closely-knit alleyways between them. It could become like a labyrinth of its own, with lots of climbing around between the buildings to find secrets. Think of Lumoise City in Pokemon X & Y, but way more open. I think such an environment would be a lot of fun to explore, especially since we haven't really gotten anything like that in past Zelda games.

So, what do you guys think? Do you want to see more vertical approaches to exploration utilized along with the exploration we know and love?

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I definitely want to see it return. I enjoyed it being a lot more free and open, rather than having to find vines or rely solely on the hookshot/clawshot to hit certain spots to be able to ascend. I mean, if you compare vertical traveling and exploring in BOTW to more vertical focused sections of past Zelda games, like OoT's Water Temple, and the Wind Temple in WW, I think there's a clear winner.

I really want to see this mechanic expanded upon, and honestly, it's weird to think of a 3D Zelda game without it after we've been graced by it.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
The second best part of BoTW was the exploration/climbing and finding seeds and shrines. It'd be a sin not to add climbing again. The whole "Castle town" climbing idea reminded me of NDC in SMO, which was by far the best kingdom. It'd be great to see something like that.

The climbing in BoTW was pretty great. I don't know exactly how they could expand on it though for Zelda Switch. Even if they could, it'd take them forever to make the game if that was the case.

I so want buildings in the next Zelda...

What a weird and stupid thing to miss in a video game, look what you've done to us Nintendo!

Im on board with more verticality but i bet the stamina would be a massive pain.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I quite enjoy the climbing aspect of Breath of the Wild, it would surely be a shame if they decided to scrap it in the next instalment. Admittedly though the stamina was a bit frustrating at points but I think that it makes sense for it to be there. Having vertical exploration in a city setting as described in the OP is something I'd be up for, a more developed and more urban environment would be interesting to see in the series.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
oh yea climbing would make like skyrim easier cuz I'm a go as the crow flies kinda person but you cant do that sometimes cuz of hulking massive mountain in the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom