• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Accuracy Vs. Power

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I always go for Accuracy just because I have the worst luck in the world. Even though Power is awesome, I tend to go for the latter.

Dracoburn

Lance's Protégé
I generally opt for accuracy over power, but believe you me, if I'm running a Thunderdance or Drizzle team, Thunder and Hurricane will very likely come into play.

It really depends on the array of moves available. Accuracy is typically better to have than power. An example where it would be bad to choose accuracy over power is with a move like Focus Blast. Focus Blast really boosts your type coverage, but is a fairly low accuracy move with high power. There really is no 90 power equivalent to it like there is a lot of other moves such as flamethrower and thunderbolt, which means going with another move would be nonsensical. Ice Beam > Blizzard, Thunderbolt > Thunder, Flamethrower > Fire Blast is typically the norm with a lot of Pokemon that have good Special Attack. If you're dealing with a mixed moveset or a Pokemon with a low stat, it's typically better to take that extra risk and go with the more powerful move because most of the time it will turn out for the better.

If I make a team that I intend to use for a fairly long time, I usually agree with this. Since the best pokemon usually have high attack or special attack stats, it makes more sense to go with accuracy over power. Especially due to how fragile pokemon have become in the more recent generations, which means that there are few pokemon where it really makes that much difference.

As stated by Kybyrian though, there are cases where power over accuracy really is one of the only practical routes to go. For a Special Sweeper Gengar, you usually want to have three moves that have a great type coverage that hold decent power. The problem is that Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt have good coverage, but don't hit anything that is Dark and Steel-types all that well, so it is best to go for Focus Blast than any other move. While it has a lower accuracy, it has a good amount of power and helps to cover the rest of the spectrum that resists or isn't hit hard by the other moves.

The only time where power > accuracy every time is No Guard Machamp, since it removes the problems that accuracy causes entirely allowing for moves like Dynamic Punch to be used without fear of it missing due to its very low accuracy.

MarkaenShoque92

Hero of Hoenn
The only time I go with inaccurate moves is when using Focus Blast (as a last resort of sorts) and Fire Blast on a Volcarona on a Rain team (allows me to one hit Ferrothorn in the Rain). Otherwise, accuracy is far better than power as long as the power is above 80 or so.

Fig

The Altruist
Do you go for the trade-off between these two factors? I like to play it safe and choose Thunderbolt over Thunder, and Ice Beam over Blizzard. In todays competitive game one miss can end the game for you. I find that playing it safe with a few Pokemon on your team rather than going with an "all or nothing" approach is better in the long run. Let me know what you think. I'm open to ideas, and other opinions. Do you go with more power over Accuracy? Or an assured hit, but less power.

Yes! I'm like that too! Finally, someone I know actually plays it safe like me! XD :D Though power is needed, I personally believe that there should be a balance between power and accuracy. I agree with you, one miss could actually screw someone up in the long run. I have seen it through so many battles online using the Battle Recorder key item in the various Pokemon games it appears. I feel so bad that someone could have won a battle if it wasn't for a previous move that missed the target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom