• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Accidents

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Yesterday it stormed very badly over here and my fellow coworker called me early in the morning to say he had an accident with his car while on his way to work. Thank God he was okay but his car not so much. He got hit by a loose truck tyre. In the dark it's very hard to spot one on the road. But hey, a car is just metal. Thank God he didn't get injured! This makes me wonder....did you get involved in an accident?
Personally yes, but now I'll wait for your replies :D

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
i have few years back i crashed my car and luckily only ended up with a trout pout and arm bruise....

Spun out on the freeway at high speed when somebody cut me off and then slammed on the brakes while it was snowing (I tried to shift lanes to avoid rear-ending him but my back tires kept going straight).

Ended up avoiding hitting anything at all and came to a safe stop on the grass with only a sore neck for a few days, but boy could that have ended differently.

Also had one time where a deer somehow accidentally ran into the side of my car while I was driving - I was fine, but the deer was less fine. I had to replace my side mirror, which it removed, but yeah on the whole not that bad.

Had another incident where I wasn't driving, but instead a passenger, where our car nailed a kangaroo that hopped away from the road before deciding to double back and hop right in front of us. That one definitely did not survive, and it tanked the radiator - luckily, it was a rental.

I have been in an accident riding in a school bus. I was looking out the window and I saw a car slip on a wet puddle coming towards the bus. The car hit the school bus and it was on my side too which made it even more scary. Luckily I was alright and I didn't get hurt. It was just me and one other kid in the bus and all the other kids haven't been picked up at the time. I was the first kid to be picked up by the bus.

Does over doing a step going down some stairs, losing my balance, grabbing the railing to do a 180 slamming my head, right at the (upper)inner left brow, against the corner of a table count? If so, happened a few months ago. Hit hard enough to snap my head back going down a second(safer) time. Dang nead gave my old man a heart attack, and almost mistook him for Odin. I was ready to start swingin'. Haha

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I've never been in a wreck while driving, but I've had some close calls, some due to my inexperience, some due to idiot drivers. The most notable ones are once I was waiting to turn left out of the neighborhood, I look both was and jump out onto the highway, and I hear a honking behind me. Turns out that there was a mail truck that I didn't see coming because my doorposts blocked it both times I looked to the right, I swerved into the left lane and let him get on past me, luckily there was nobody coming and the mail truck driver was paying attention.

The second one was a lot wilder, the day we moved to Texas, I was driving the family's minivan and following my dad who was driving the moving truck. There was an 18 wheeler in the lane next to us, which was the on ramp, and he was just hanging out there. My dad went on past, and finally I figured he was going to the weigh station at the next exit, so I gas it to get past him, and he starts to swerve into my lane. I jerk the wheel left to avoid him, and I had a split second to look back and see that there was a car coming faster than I was. They got over to get around me, but they weren't happy with me. Lot of words, but it happened quick, the truck moves, I move, I see the car, the car goes around me.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Specifically car related? Then no.

I've had a few other accidents over the years though...
When I was 4, I slipped off of a log I was climbing on and my left arm ended up behind be, so I landed on it and broke it.
When I was 6 I almost died when a lollipop came loose from it's stick and got lodged in my throat so I couldn't breath. My mom saved me with a heimlich.
When I was 8, I slammed my finger in a door so that the entire nail came loose. It hurt so bad and it was the weirdest thing to see it grow back over the next couple of weeks.
When I was 9 another, slightly older kid, accidentally ran me over with his bike.

I could go on a bit more, but I think I've made my point. :shrugs:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I've been in 4 car accidents (that I can recall).

The first one was in 2003, I would have been 7 or 6. My dad was driving us to school in my mom's Mustang, when we got hit head-on by a new driver in his mom's SUV. Our car was totaled and all of us sustained some kind of injury, though my sister got it the worst with permanent back damage and respiratory problems from the airbag (since she was in the front seat). I came out of it with a severely busted lip which still scars on the inside, and a large cut on my chin, but thankfully nothing serious.

The second one was actually my dad's fault. It happened about a year later and was, once again, while we were being driven to school. My dad got distracted by something, I think it was someone getting arrested, and missed the light ahead turning red. We slipped under the trailer of the semi in front of us. The front end of the car got pretty damaged, particularly the hood, but ended up being repaired and remained on the road for several more years, and none of us ended up getting hurt really at all. That accident was more of a large derp than anything.

The third one was much later, 2012 or 2013 I believe. I was staying at my mom's house and her next-door neighbour was unlicensed (which i wasn't aware of) and would borrow her car and pick her up from work. I went with him to pick her up one day and he panicked because he almost missed a left turn. As a result, he hastily swerved left to turn on what he thought was the right street (it actually wasn't) right into oncoming traffic. The passenger side got hit in the back by a motorcycle and the car was written off. Thankfully didn't get hurt from that, but got a stern talking to by family members for riding with an unlicensed driver (as if I was supposed to know).

The last and most recent one was the only one in which I've been behind the wheel. It happened during the summer of 2015 when I went out on the highway for a late night drive to take my mind off some things. It was around 4am and I was about 2 hours from home when I dozed off behind the wheel and drove off the road. Conveniently, there was an intersection so it ended up being not as serious as it could have been, but the car was still totaled. I drove over a concrete divider, then up onto an embankment and into a tree and the car tipped over onto the driver's side. I didn't get hurt but was really scared since I was out in the middle of nowhere by myself in the middle of the night. There happened to be a security guard passing by who saw me there a couple minutes after and I then phoned my dad to let him know what happened. Learned an incredibly valuable lesson that night and I am always extremely alert now as a result, even if I'm tired.

Aside from those, there have been several close calls, particularly with inattentive drivers in big cities, but I always manage to avoid anything serious happening.

As a result of the accidents I was involved in as a kid, I frequently get an intense anxiety whenever I am a passenger in a vehicle, no matter who is driving, though I've been slowly getting over it over the past few years. As a driver myself, I have learned my lesson and now I have a much better idea as to my limits and how to control my tiredness when I'm driving.

Accidents aren't fun and I like to believe I've been in more than most people in my life. They can be physically and psychologically damaging if not fatal and I see aftermaths of them far too often.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I was hit by a car at low speed while riding my bicycle as a teenager. I was absolutely trying to run a red crosswalk light and the car was definitely in the right. I didn't even realize how ****ed up my knees and bike were after the fact until I awkwardly road him and saw that my entire gear system was dented beyond repair.

Always wait for the signal, kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom