• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler About the Kokiri

I just had an idea. Termina in MM is a parallel world of Hyrule from OoT. This means everything in Hyrule should have an equivalent in Termina. But there are no Kokiri in Termina. Instead we have a whole kingdome of Deku Scrubs. So could it be that the Great Deku Tree transformed a group of Deku Scrubs into the Kokiris so that Link has someone to grow up with? Just look at the name. Deku Tree and Deku Scrubs. Why would the GDT be the father of the Kokiri but not of the scrubs?

It is true that the Kokiri don't die if they leave the forest. It is just out of fear of the unknown of what could be on the outside that could kill them.

They never talk about dying, or if when they were born they started out as children or infants. They could be immortal for all we know. As for reproducing, scientifically the only possible logic is the Deku Tree making more since they're only kids and lack the proper skills to do so.

I think a lot of you are right. The Kokori children are more magical than regular human-like Hyrulians. The Great Deku Tree (I think he stressed this in WW but not OoT exactly) created them, so in that sense, they wouldn't have been born. For this reason, I think they are unable to die from old age. Not immortal, exactly, because they can be murdered. I have my own theory, whether it's original or not--

I think the Deku Tree emits a powerful Farore-like magic that makes the forest where the Kokori live different from normal forests. (Didn't they say somewhere that Kokori forest is the starting point where living beings began?) I think that the Great Deku Tree told them they'd die if they left because

A.) He sensed or knew about the evil that was brewing in hyrule and feared if they were out of his guardianship they would not be protected or kept safe by his magic. I guess he meant they would be in danger or would likely be killed. Because Ganondorf was defeated they knew it was safe to trek out to LonLon and celebrate with the world. The lost woods are a magic of thier own so perhaps THATS the only place a kokori would turn into a stalfo if they left.

B.) He could also have told them not to leave the forest because, like I predicted above, his special magic can only help them / keep them young if they stay close. Maybe the Tree's magic (being the center/starting place of life) works like the fountain of youth. If they leave his reach they simply will begin aging normally and eventually die. Is this why we don't see any Kokiri in TP? Because the tree is gone and so much time's passed that they'd died out?

C.) The Kokiri are parentless children who need to be protected. The Deku Tree is thier "Father". Doesn't it sound like something a parent would say to thier kids? He has roots in the ground-- he can't exactly run after them haha -- so to assure they stay within sight (or kept from danger, rather) he would have told them that if they left they could die / be killed? It makes me think of parents warning thier kids not to play outside unsupervised, or a kidnapper will snatch you!!

While I'm at it, I want to comment on what someone said above about Link being immortal. I'm not so sure on that. I read a gossip stone that told how Link's mother was a Hyrulean who spirited Link away from danger as a baby and gave him to the Tree to be protected. They hid him disguised as a Kokiri. There's nothing, I believe, that ever says he could not have been raised since a baby. Maybe the OoT story just happened to start at the time Link had progressed to the same-looking age as the Kokiri kids. I don't know for sure, but I don't recall the Kokiri saying otherwise. Since they mightve never seen humans before, perhaps Link is the most different they've seen yet and they still considered him to be Kokiri --just an odd ball, thats all. Mido thinks he's a freak! I think if Link had stayed in the forest he would have continued to age like a human.

As for the question about WW's Koroks...
I think the kokiri rapidly changed form to adapt. The Deku Tree points out somewhere that his "children" changed form, so maybe this is something that happens by magic rather than an evolution-kind of process. I don't know what happened to the Forest children in Twilight Princess, and I don't have any clues to how they are connected to the Kikwii. One thing we should take notice of is how they made a point in Skyward Sword to call it the "Great Tree" and not the Great Deku Tree. The Tree is still teaming with life and the forest seems to be the an area of Hyrule's surface that visibly HAS the most life/lifeforms about it. Maybe the Great Tree is not yet at full power? I'm on my cellphone right now so I can't run back and look up the timeline. I'll probaby come back to edit this later if I think of something else.

Does anyone agree/disagree or think I hit any points somewhat? Let me know! ^_^

I just had an idea. Termina in MM is a parallel world of Hyrule from OoT. This means everything in Hyrule should have an equivalent in Termina. But there are no Kokiri in Termina. Instead we have a whole kingdome of Deku Scrubs. So could it be that the Great Deku Tree transformed a group of Deku Scrubs into the Kokiris so that Link has someone to grow up with? Just look at the name. Deku Tree and Deku Scrubs. Why would the GDT be the father of the Kokiri but not of the scrubs?

That is so sweet! Very cool theory and very creative. Like I said, the Deku Tree might have the power to turn his children into whatever form he wanted to, and it would explain why he wanted them to look like humans. It would help hide Link from evil people looking for him. He was supposed to blend in, and the Great Deku Tree knew about the hero's fate and the prophecy of ganondorf all along, remember? The more I walk through it, the more beneficial this theory seems to OoT's plot. It also makes for a great story. Awesome post!!!

Last edited:
Now that I think about how they took the child like forms just because of Link, it would also make sense why their clothes are similar to the hero tunic, I suppose the spirits don't know many humans, and if they were to take human form they would try to look like Link

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I don't know if anyone has already said this, but maybe because they were brought in by the Deku Tree (as Connor said early on) maybe it's not that they NEVER grow up, but it takes a really really long time like a tree takes a really long time to grow.

Now that I think about how they took the child like forms just because of Link, it would also make sense why their clothes are similar to the hero tunic, I suppose the spirits don't know many humans, and if they were to take human form they would try to look like Link

That's a great idea. I completely FORGOT about all of the clothes. I mean we always assumed clothing the hero in green was a traditional custom because lots of us thought OoT was chronologically first in the timeline, and the first hero wore those tunics. But now that it's much farther down it could totally make sense that the Korkori tribe didn't dictate the clothing, the Tree chose the clothing to fulfill the prophecy (starting to stretch here but it's fun to hook up ideas like this).

I don't know if anyone has already said this, but maybe because they were brought in by the Deku Tree (as Connor said early on) maybe it's not that they NEVER grow up, but it takes a really really long time like a tree takes a really long time to grow.

That is also an excellent theory too. This is a likely case given that they disappear later.

:clap: Man, this thread is full of ideas today. :clap:

Yes, thinking about it now, it makes a lot of sense that the Deku Tree chose to give the Kokiri their green clad Hylian-child looking form in response to Link showing up. It eases my frustration about the apparently retconned origin of the green tunic. It seems from dialogue in TWW that the Deku Tree can dictate the physical shape that they take, so I'm happy with this explanation.

hylianbeast

Sage of Destiny
I think that Kokiri's have the same effect as vampires do. They age a lot slower than regular people. As for reproducing...I don't wanna get into that.

TwilightDeku

Sage of the Dark Forest
I think that Kokiri's have the same effect as vampires do. They age a lot slower than regular people. As for reproducing...I don't wanna get into that.
If they age a lot slower than other people, why aren't there any old kokiries? If you are right that they age slowly, kokiri must be a very new race. As for reproduction... I guess they dont have a legal age in Hyrule so they can do whatever they want. Erm, this is strange topic.

My theory is that Miyamoto was not thinking about this as deeply as we are, and never intended for this to be argued about.

The Deku tree made them, they dont die when they leave the forest, just have a high chance of being eaten by something and thats why the deku tree told them that and i think they live forever because they are the karoks in wind waker (i think)

and in wind waker does that mean the deku tree is the small sapling at the end of the forest temple? :O

Pinhead101

Pokemon Master
I'm not sure how they die but my theory for their birth is that they are born the same way as the deku tree sprout. They somehow grow out of the ground.
Seems weird but they are forest people after all.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
The kokiri can die. A good example is Fado from Wind Waker. He explains how he was killed by a monster of Ganondorf's.

As for how the come about, I have been asking this for a while myself. Maybe only the Deku Tree can create them, and maybe they can reproduce in some weird way. Who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom