• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds About Lorule's Triforce(spoiler)

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Hilda mentions that Hyrule's triforce is based on the virtues power, courage, and wisdom. This is common knowledge among Zelda fans. She also says that Lorule had a triforce of its own, and when she was using Hyrule's as comparison, it got me thinking. Do you think Lorule's triforce is also based on virtues? Or is it the exact opposite instead, based on weakness, cowardice, and ignorance? That would be a pretty sucky sacred relic if it was based on bad qualities, but it does fit when you look at Ravio and Hilda. Ravio was too much of a coward to try to stop Yuga and Hilda from taking Hyrule's triforce. Hilda seemed to be ignorant, not knowing that she would just make things worse. So, they could have those Lorule triforce pieces.

Thoughts?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I think their Triforce is based on the same foundations as Hyrule's. Hilda was just desperate because the Triforce of Lorule was destroyed. Ravio was a coward and didn't dare to stand up against Yuga and Hilda but he was brave enough to go to Hyrule and secretly help the Hero in his quest. If you look at the story the Triforce was destroyed and the land of Lorule became dark and everything opposite of Hyrule. Yuga discovered there was a world outside Lorule where the Triforce still existed. He and Hilda planned to take it from Hyrule so their world could flourish again like it used to do. It makes me think that the foundations were still the same but the guidance was very poor. Like Ravio said in the end Hilda's ancestors destroyed the Triforce to prevend such chaos to happen. This tells me Hilda was completely misled by Yuga and the state of her beloved Lorule. Because of this she couldn't think clear and only thought about helping her land and people. So in a way her wisdom still spoke inside her and her intentions were not completely evil or bad but she just couldn't think straight. I believe the Triforce of Lorule and Hyrule have the same three foundations

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
They are probably the same or similar virtues, perhaps under different names. "Strength, Knowledge and Bravery" perhaps? Or you can do what I've done in my fanfiction (when describing the virtues of Hyrule's Triforce) and turn it on it's head, the virtues being "The Power of the Weak," "The Wisdom of Fools" and "The Courage of Cowards" - i.e. the virtues found in unexpected places and in underestimated people.

They are probably the same or similar virtues, perhaps under different names. "Strength, Knowledge and Bravery" perhaps? Or you can do what I've done in my fanfiction (when describing the virtues of Hyrule's Triforce) and turn it on it's head, the virtues being "The Power of the Weak," "The Wisdom of Fools" and "The Courage of Cowards" - i.e. the virtues found in unexpected places and in underestimated people.

I think this is a nice way of thinking about it. Lorule's existence and especially the existence of its own Triforce raises a host of questions, and I think assuming that everything in Lorule is the opposite of its Hyrulian counterpart somewhat misses the point of the story. I also think Lorule is a difficult world to theorize about because we know so little about it (though we may think we know more because we know so much about the history of Hyrule and are tempted by that knowledge). It is possible that Lorule's Triforce was not associated with any virtues. It is possible that it was created by men instead of gods. We just do not know. So, I feel like this results in little more than a commonly shared fan-fiction, but I do like the idea that the Triforce is associated with similar virtues to those of Hyrule's Triforce.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I think this is a nice way of thinking about it. Lorule's existence and especially the existence of its own Triforce raises a host of questions, and I think assuming that everything in Lorule is the opposite of its Hyrulian counterpart somewhat misses the point of the story. I also think Lorule is a difficult world to theorize about because we know so little about it (though we may think we know more because we know so much about the history of Hyrule and are tempted by that knowledge). It is possible that Lorule's Triforce was not associated with any virtues. It is possible that it was created by men instead of gods. We just do not know. So, I feel like this results in little more than a commonly shared fan-fiction, but I do like the idea that the Triforce is associated with similar virtues to those of Hyrule's Triforce.

It doesn't make sense to me to think of Lorule as a complete counter to Hyrule. It strikes me as being more like the Twilight Realm - a world where good is still good and evil is still evil. There are things that are "opposite" about it - a darkened land rather than one that bathes in sunlight, counterpart characters to the mains who have dark hair and more cynical and/or shadier attitudes, but when you think about it, if Ravio is a counterpart to Link, he's not an *opposite.* If he were an opposite, he'd be a villain rather than a guile sneak who wants to save his princess' soul/honor. Hilda takes a nosedive in morality when her plan is revealed (she knows full well what taking Hyrule's Triforce will do to Hyrule), but, in the end, she's more of a desperate ruler who wants to save her people than someone who is completely and utterly depraved-evil. And, if it were a complete opposite, Yuga would be the Hero, which he is definitively not.

So, Lorule is more of a mirror-universe. The reflection is a little reversed, but not completely different. So, their Triforce might be a shadow, but it cannot be completely different.

Completely agree. And I think that it is worth noting that the "dark" aspect of Lorule (Which is seen as a juxtaposition to the "light" of Hyrule) seems to only be caused by the lack of a Triforce. Once Lorule regains a Triforce, its land appears to brighten.

zenda

master of the sword
I think maybe that when the lorule triforce was destroyed maybe the virtues got replaced with cowardice ignorance and weakness (although weakness doesn't really fit with yuga so I think it might be lust)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom