• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Zelda Era is Over?

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Oh... my... goodness!!!
Imagine if they found a way to not only reuse ALttP graphics, but used hand-drawn renders!?

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
No, I highly doubt an "era" of art style is over. There are so many Zelda fans who love ALttP so much, I doubt Nintendo will just look over that.

I myself wasn't a big fan of ALttP, and I wouldn't care for rehashed ALttP visuals. I think the MC graphics style worked fine, and I would probably prefer an upgrade on that. If they came out with something completely new, I wouldn't mind either. Whatever happens, I hope that if another DS Zelda comes out, it sticks to the traditional 2D, not 2.5D. And I certainly hope they at least allow an option for using the buttons instead of the touch-screen. As much as I like PH's control, Zelda needs to get back to its roots.

i agree with this. i liked PH but i didnt like the 2.5D graphics. they should either make it 3D (which would probably not look good on DS with a Zelda game) or keep it 2D. i love the 2D games maybe even more than the console games and i think that they should release handheld games every year or 2 instead of every 5 years like the console games. more handheld games i say!!

i also agree they should have let you use the buttons in PH and im sure they will it was probably just the fact that they wanted to utilize the touch screen and show us what it can do. its cool but were all used to the old school way of doing it.

M

Myungster

Well, I'm kind of dissapointed they are using another 2.5D Zelda game; Spirit Tracks

So, this kind of ties into what I was thinking.

Maybe we won't see another regular 2D
Maybe.

Hmm, they announced a new Zelda today, with the same graphics and with the same engine as PH.

Spirit Tracks...

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
it doesnt mean that the 2D era is over. i can almost guarantee that we will see another 2D Zelda game. dont give up hope

Its very ironic how wrong I was proven only hours later after saying that the next handheld title would not use cell shading graphics.

Ah well, either way, Spirit Tracks looks like it should be fun. Even more so than PH. ST appears that it will take place in New Hyrule, therefore I will most likely be picking it up.

The term "graphics" in the sense you are using is referring to the 16bit style of gaming. What I believe you are trying to say is that you don't like the "toon link" design.

Izagar

Working on a webcomic. :D
So, the last portable Zelda game was a cell-shaded PH.
I personally miss old ALttP graphics...

Does anyone think in the future the next Zelda Handheld will have "better" graphics?
Or maybe even only cell-shaded...
The reason an Era could be over is because of the graphics. Maybe Zelda is going to make more games that have graphics like Minish Cap and PH.

I wish they made advanced ALttP graphics.

DS Graphics are not as advanced as a Gamecube game. If you compare the N64 to the DS, you notice that both have similarish graphics: blocky. Even the PSP has that if I recall. If you want a more realistic one, then stick to a console or wait for a handheld which is as big as a console.

Advanced ALTTP graphics? Those are spriters dear. Sprites = 2D, not 3D.

Personally I love the 3D in handhelds, as it is a major step up. The last handheld Zelda was The Minish Cap, once again sprites and 2D.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
The last handheld Zelda was The Minish Cap, once again sprites and 2D.

The last handheld Zelda title was Phantom Hourglass which was 3Dish.

I would love to see the original 2D graphics or MC graphics for handhelds. I think they worked best and allowed for more/bigger dungeons.

The last handheld Zelda title was Phantom Hourglass which was 3Dish.

I would love to see the original 2D graphics or MC graphics for handhelds. I think they worked best and allowed for more/bigger dungeons.

That's true, but like I said in my above post, PH sold many more copies than MC if I remember correctly. So, it would only make sense that Nintendo would keep making what sells better, which is the PH style. Why else would they make ST, which looks exactly like PH in every way when it come to graphics and game play?

Claire

The Geekette
I would absolutely love to see more 2D handhelds, after all, they are my favorite.

I fear a loss of 2D games in the future, and that really disappoints me. Though, we can't assume that they will toss them out the window - but it seems like they went with the production of GBA games. I think we should expect artistic styling to be diverse, I do not suspect that they will make all of the Legend of Zelda handhelds with cel-shading.

Of course, the further we progress, the better the newer systems can handle higher quality graphics. With this, I'd assume, Nintendo would experiment with numerous types of styles. I do not think an era has been lost, but rather, an old era will mesh with a new.

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
So, the last portable Zelda game was a cell-shaded PH.
I personally miss old ALttP graphics...

Does anyone think in the future the next Zelda Handheld will have "better" graphics?
Or maybe even only cell-shaded...
The reason an Era could be over is because of the graphics. Maybe Zelda is going to make more games that have graphics like Minish Cap and PH.

I wish they made advanced ALttP graphics.

Agreed. As for the Zelda franchise dying, I'm not quite sure. They just don't make them the way they used to. The originals will always be the best in our eyes, because they were the very first games we played, and we don't think anything is better. that's why when you ask someone their favorite game, it will always be one from the 90s. But I digress...

Zelda isn't dead...yet. Zelda will have a couple of ideas, but it has got to end somewhere, or they will just ruin the franchise with shoddy games that are far off the plot. Hell, people were pissed off that Link was riding a train. Another small mistake and the franchise won't end on a high note.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
No, I highly doubt an "era" of art style is over. There are so many Zelda fans who love ALttP so much, I doubt Nintendo will just look over that.

I myself wasn't a big fan of ALttP, and I wouldn't care for rehashed ALttP visuals. I think the MC graphics style worked fine, and I would probably prefer an upgrade on that. If they came out with something completely new, I wouldn't mind either. Whatever happens, I hope that if another DS Zelda comes out, it sticks to the traditional 2D, not 2.5D. And I certainly hope they at least allow an option for using the buttons instead of the touch-screen. As much as I like PH's control, Zelda needs to get back to its roots.

Agreed, rather graphics, i hope they made a fully 2D zelda game.
For instance like the style of the Pokemon D/P/Pt. That is from a 2D perspective but with 3D style. If they made a zelda game with that kinda style, it would be awsome.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Zelda isn't dead...yet. Zelda will have a couple of ideas, but it has got to end somewhere, or they will just ruin the franchise with shoddy games that are far off the plot. Hell, people were pissed off that Link was riding a train. Another small mistake and the franchise won't end on a high note.

I very much disagree with this. There is no way that making too many Zelda games will kill the franchise. Look how long it's lasted. Mario has lasted FOREVER and they have games that are COMPLETELY different from the others, such as the paper Mario series and the original Mario RPG. There are very few Mario games that are similar to each other except for the old school ones. Other than that, Mario has so many varying games. There is Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine which had the same basic gameplay but with a completely new element to it (F.L.O.O.D.) and then Mario Galaxy took it a step further. The games are all very different but very successful. Why can't this be the same for Zelda? People were EXTREMELY skeptical when WW came out because of the graphics, but WW is highly praised by many people, as is PH. The same thing is happening right now. There is a train introduced and some people are questioning where the franchise is going, and the last time the franchise was questioned (WW), people shut their mouths and realized that Nintendo knew what they were doing. I think it will be the same with ST and, IMHO, as long as Nintendo is around, LoZ will be around. The only way LoZ will end is if Nintendo is going bankrupt and/or being bought out so they want to give it a finishing game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom