• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A ZD-I App?

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
Not sure if this exists (pretty sure it doesn't) but have you all ever considered having an app for phones and tablets for the site? I think it would help with the activity as it would encourage people who typically only use their phones for internet to log on and make posts. The site on a browser is okay, but an app could help with managing favorite sections and blogs easily.

I'm no expert, but anyone have any ideas? Do you think an app for ZD-I would be useful or...meh?

Yeah, my computer has been blue screening all the time recently so I can only get on with my phone, and while it's certainly manageable, it is just sometimes a bit frustrating and clunky. Even if we can't get an app, a mobile website version could work, if either of those are very easy to get.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I primarily use my phone, that's what I'm typing on right now. I think that while an app might make things smoother, there is not a huge need for it.

With mobile layouts, an app would be kind of pointless. There would be really no difference, and I'm actually puzzled as to why certain social media has apps since they look and function literally the same in a mobile browser.

Anyway, I'm still learning my way around responsive design, and I know xenforo's responsive presets aren't perfect. I'm not really rushing to learn it because I actually don't care for it much, but it's kind of a big deal to have the webpage transform based on screensize due to the varying mobile platforms; rotating your screens and blah blah blah, so it's something I've been exploring for a little over a year now. The old method was to have an entirely separate theme that is set to override the main one when it detected a mobile device.

There's not much I can do regarding the loading speeds other than removing images where they may cause issues, but if there are any glaring issues, visually, or something inhibiting functionality, on mobile, please let me know so I can take a look at it and see if I can resolve it. But make sure to specify on which device (so I can get a general screen size), which browser (and version), and on which theme the issue is happening. Thanks.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I personally find the mobile version convenient and sufficient and do not see how an app could improve my experience with ZD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom