• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A way of merging the timelines

How about if they made three zelda games at once, all 2d, and can be linked, so like the oracle games but 3 of them. Each game is set in a different timeline each; one in the downfall timeline, one in the child timeline, and one in the adult timeline. All are the last game in each respective timeline and are parallel to each other. All 3 games can be linked (like the oracle games were). And when you link all 3 games together, the "final" ending of the linked version is the cause of all timelines merging.

Crazy idea on my part, but just wanted to share that. What do you think?

Oh, and each game also represents one of the three pieces of the Triforce.

The Legend Of Zelda - Knights Of Courage
The Legend Of Zelda - Dragons Of Power
The Legend Of Zelda - Ancients Of Wisdom

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
In terms of the future of the timeline, it's up in the air right now. I won't rule out convergence theory, but as of now I can't be convinced that a convergence of the timeline has happened, resulting in Breath of the Wild. If the Triforce is said to be cause of the convergence, I'd be all for it; otherwise, I'd probably dislike the explaination of why the convergence happened.

ArmanaTheCustos

Inspiring Youtuber
Honestly in my personal head canon the events of Hyrule Warriors (Even Though It's not canon) caused the timelines to merge

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Sure, that could work if they had three games that could be linked, but I honestly can't think of an in-game explanation for the merging of the timelines.

The only way one could "merge" the timelines would be:

1. Say that the outcome leading to BotW is inevitable (this one's garbage to me).
  2. Have someone (Link) travel back in time and prevent what caused the timeline to split, leading to all of the timeline branches being erased to create a new, linear one (I don't like this one either).
  3. Quantum **** up that creates paradoxes and time ghosts and **** (just whatever happened to Captain America at the end of Endgame. This would be the best way to go IMO, but it would be pretty weird and I don't no how the timeline police would handle this).

Personally, I just like to act as if BotW is a reboot to the franchise; I know it's not, but I like to think so.

How about if they made three zelda games at once, all 2d, and can be linked, so like the oracle games but 3 of them. Each game is set in a different timeline each; one in the downfall timeline, one in the child timeline, and one in the adult timeline.

The thing about the Downfall Timeline its existence is conditional. That is too say for it to happen the other two timelines cannot exist. In the DT Link fails in the final battle of Ocarina of time, so no split occurs and it goes right into A Link to the Past.

The other two could be merged since they are parallel timelines.

How would that work? Hyrule is destroyed in one but fine in the other

I don't have a story or theory for this, it's just an assumption since both timelines or universes are running parallel to each other. Other media that have used multiverses or multiple dimensions have found ways to unify them or at leased crossed over. So maybe a method you find in one can be applied here as well. But "old Hyrule" being flooded isn't a limiting factor, there is a new Hyrule with a Link and Zelda.

However, I don't think Nintendo would care to do a merging since having 3 timelines allows more freedom for stories, characters, races, etc.

Last edited:

ArmanaTheCustos

Inspiring Youtuber
well merging the timelines wouldn't be that hard, there would be more water from the adult timeline, and maybe more ruins from the downfall timeline

ArmanaTheCustos

Inspiring Youtuber
the hardest thing to explain would be the timelines merging along with the histories, not to mention there's a chance there would be 2 or 3 of one person as a result of the timelines, unless of course the timelines didn't merge just had a chain of events that happened in each timeline which isn't possible unless the downfall and child timelines ended up at new hyrule like the adult timeline

Feel free to use what pronouns you want. I use both sexed pronoun sets interchangeably.
In terms of the future of the timeline, it's up in the air right now. I won't rule out convergence theory, but as of now I can't be convinced that a convergence of the timeline has happened, resulting in Breath of the Wild. If the Triforce is said to be cause of the convergence, I'd be all for it; otherwise, I'd probably dislike the explaination of why the convergence happened.

I'm with you on this, pretty much. About the only way I can see it working is if the Triforce is involved. And, increasingly, I'm just accepting BotW as a reboot.

the hardest thing to explain would be the timelines merging along with the histories, not to mention there's a chance there would be 2 or 3 of one person as a result of the timelines, unless of course the timelines didn't merge just had a chain of events that happened in each timeline which isn't possible unless the downfall and child timelines ended up at new hyrule like the adult timeline

More than likely, the duplicates would just combine into a single person. Given the details of the three timelines, there's very little chance this will be anything more than a handful of people who are merged in this manner.

The person that would be most heavily affected is Ganon. He would suddenly have his power triple and be both capable of reincarnation and permanently dead at the same time.

I'm just accepting BotW as a reboot.

What about for example, the Zora Monument that recaps OoT from the perspective of the Zora? Hard to call it a reboot with things like that in the game.

I don't know why people are still so desperate for a convergence when there's no evidence of a merger being mentioned and it would render the story themes of all three timelines meaningless.

ArmanaTheCustos

Inspiring Youtuber
I don't know why people are still so desperate for a convergence when there's no evidence of a merger being mentioned and it would render the story themes of all three timelines meaningless.
not really as each timline in a way represents a piece of the triforce, downfall is courage, child is power, and adult is wisdom

not really as each timline in a way represents a piece of the triforce, downfall is courage, child is power, and adult is wisdom

No, I mean...

In the DT, Ganon loses his humanity and becomes an insane monster. He continuously revives throughout this branch of history, and Hyrule repeatedly falls into eras of decline followed by golden ages with the RF having full possession of the TF, and Hyrule almost never truly moves forward.

The AT is more or less the opposite of the DT; Ganon and Hyrule are obliterated by the Triforce, and a new kingdom is founded, where new story elements are allowed to foster, not related to the status quo that we see in a majority of games in the series.

The CT deals with dark magical relics created by ancient tribes that fall into the hands of evil, and Hyrule as a nation seems to fare the best; not many people seem to even know what's going on in TP, and most people seem relatively unharmed in FSA.

ArmanaTheCustos

Inspiring Youtuber
I See your point but I think it would be interesting if BOTW was in a convergence timeline cause then we could explore what happened to cause the convergence

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom