• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild A True New Sequel

I have been thinking about this for quite some time, and what I really want to see next is true forward progression in the series, a new sequel. I love playing prequels because they flesh out the backstory, but as a longtime Zelda fan I really want to move the story forward. I also want to see a return to the defeat timeline. This is what would be my ideal setting for the new game:

Setting: post TP or AoL, and through the typical series of events Link is thrust into a new struggle. It is revealed for the first time in-game that there are multiple timelines, and they are deteriorating, OoT damaged the fabric of reality. This is also revealed to be the reason why seals never seem to stay in place. Link is tasked with somehow moving between the worlds (one idea is with a combination of the bracelet from aLBW and the ocarina to boost its power). He moves between the post TP world and the post AoL world (and later, once he can travel underwater, the post-WW world) and goes to major landmarks that are still standing in all three worlds (perhaps revealing that the palaces in AoL and the dungeons from TP were BOTH built over the dungeons from Ocarina) in an attempt to anchor the realities together.

Here's where my theory/fanfic/whatever you want to call it really goes into left field.

In each timeline, Link runs into the Hylia/Zelda of that world. With their help, and by the end of the game, the three Hylias end up all together with Link in the Temple of Time (the last anchor) as reality is crumbling around them and Demise/Ganon is claiming victory because his ultimate goal was to destroy what the goddesses had created. The three goddesses decide that with their power tripled, they may have the power to completely extinguish Demise's existence in the past once and for all, eliminating him and Ganon from the timeline altogether, and erasing the events of OoT completely, fixing existence. As they use their power and get ready to go back in time, they start glowing different colors (red, green, and blue) and as they disappear along with Link, traveling to the beginning of creation to destroy Demise right at the beginning, it is revealed that they have become Din, Nayru, and Farore. You defeat Demise at the beginning of creation and completely reboot the entire timeline pre-SS.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
I have been thinking about this for quite some time, and what I really want to see next is true forward progression in the series, a new sequel. I love playing prequels because they flesh out the backstory, but as a longtime Zelda fan I really want to move the story forward. I also want to see a return to the defeat timeline. This is what would be my ideal setting for the new game:

Already happened, A Link Between Worlds

Setting: post TP or AoL, and through the typical series of events Link is thrust into a new struggle. It is revealed for the first time in-game that there are multiple timelines, and they are deteriorating, OoT damaged the fabric of reality. This is also revealed to be the reason why seals never seem to stay in place. Link is tasked with somehow moving between the worlds (one idea is with a combination of the bracelet from aLBW and the ocarina to boost its power). He moves between the post TP world and the post AoL world (and later, once he can travel underwater, the post-WW world) and goes to major landmarks that are still standing in all three worlds (perhaps revealing that the palaces in AoL and the dungeons from TP were BOTH built over the dungeons from Ocarina) in an attempt to anchor the realities together.

Not a bad idea, it's alright.

In each timeline, Link runs into the Hylia/Zelda of that world. With their help, and by the end of the game, the three Hylias end up all together with Link in the Temple of Time (the last anchor) as reality is crumbling around them and Demise/Ganon is claiming victory because his ultimate goal was to destroy what the goddesses had created. The three goddesses decide that with their power tripled, they may have the power to completely extinguish Demise's existence in the past once and for all, eliminating him and Ganon from the timeline altogether, and erasing the events of OoT completely, fixing existence. As they use their power and get ready to go back in time, they start glowing different colors (red, green, and blue) and as they disappear along with Link, traveling to the beginning of creation to destroy Demise right at the beginning, it is revealed that they have become Din, Nayru, and Farore. You defeat Demise at the beginning of creation and completely reboot the entire timeline pre-SS.

No, this would RUIN the reason Zelda EXISTS. This sort of thing worked for X-Men but this Zelda we're talking about and with Zelda, such thing would only complicate things. The timeline is already so complex to people as it is, we don't need it to be more complicated for people. Plus, by erasing all the events of all the Zelda games that have come out so far from the timeline, that's basically throwing every players hard efforts of all that exploring, defeating evil, completing side quests, conquering dungeons, saving Zelda, saving the world all down toilet drain and thus sending a giant middle finger to all Zelda fans who worked hard to beat all those previous games that at that point wouldn't even count in the timeline anymore. You obviously either don't know what Zelda means to people or have forgotten such thing. In ALL Zelda games YOU the PLAYER step into the shoes of an existing hero, Link and completing all his quests and objectives for him. When YOU play through and complete a Zelda game, YOU are filling in the role of Link in those events in the timeline, Link's efforts are shared with YOU and become YOUR efforts. By the idea of having to erase the events of ALL those games from the timeline, YOU are basically throwing away all YOUR efforts out the window. Do YOU REALLY want THAT???

Also, I doubt Nintendo would do such a thing, especially not anytime soon since they JUST released a timeline not so long ago. Plus, I have a better idea of the split problem can be solved, it's called MERGE. Also, as for Demise, there can be another way to destroy Demise completely. I believe Demise's curse isn't really much of curse at all, Demise only mentioned his curse works like a cycle that with the help of separate incarnations of him and whatever minions or underlings he has, he somehow manages to keep coming back. As long there is still evil present, eventually they may find that Demise is needed for some reason that they decided to bring him back, so his curse on Link and Zelda is more just his luck than actual full curse.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
All this timelines coming together stuff is done in Hyrule warriors. They don't need to do it again here.

This is true to the extent that Nintendo has not done it canonically. Hyrule Warriors is canon, however, because the timelines converge in an unrealistic manner, it is regretfully deemed non canon. For the idea to work, Nintendo would have to craft a realistic plot device and a plot device that works in-universe.

Also, I doubt Nintendo would do such a thing, especially not anytime soon since they JUST released a timeline not so long ago. Plus, I have a better idea of the split problem can be solved, it's called MERGE.

I obviously don't think the reboot thing would ever happen, and like I said, the last part was me just going out into left field. Only the first two paragraphs were serious.

Like I said, I would be more on board with the merging idea, but it wouldn't work for the Adult timeline due to the majority of land being underwater...its the same reason that they don't restore Hyrule in WW, it would negatively impact the people of that world.

I guess I just get frustrated every time I think about the fact that we will never really have an ending (not that I want it to end, just the possibility of a definitive ending) because we have three histories going on concurrently. So, I like the idea of one game that moves all three forward.

Last edited:

VitaTempusN92

All this timelines coming together stuff is done in Hyrule warriors. They don't need to do it again here.

Um, did you see the Adult and the Defeated timelines anyone connecting to Hyrule Warriors? No, you misunderstand my post, I talking about merging the Adult timeline, Child timeline, Defeated timeline, and possibly an non-introduced fourth post-split timeline (according as a part to my theory/take) together. Hyrule Warriors only connected to the worlds of SS, OoT, and TP. There was NO merging of any of the post-split timelines included in HW.

This is true to the extent that Nintendo has not done it canonically. Hyrule Warriors is canon, however, because the timelines converge in an unrealistic manner, it is regretfully deemed non canon. For the idea to work, Nintendo would have to craft a realistic plot device and a plot device that works in-universe.

1) Video game logic, never judge by how certain parts of a game was made sometimes.

2) Can we NOT talk about this HW canon or not thing, it really angers me when people talk about it. Why don't we just say it's canon so that timeline fans including myself can be happy.

2) Can we NOT talk about this HW canon or not thing, it really angers me when people talk about it. Why don't we just say it's canon so that timeline fans including myself can be happy.

Let me precede this by saying I agree with you 100% in that I choose to consider any game I play canon, just because I enjoy it more that way. That being said, asking people in a forum about discussion and speculation to NOT discuss something you don't want to talk about is a bit unrealistic, not to mention unfair to the other members of the forum, especially in a thread in which you aren't the OP. A better option is to just not take part in discussions you don't want to be a part of.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I doubt we will see anymore games on the Hero fails timeline, atleast not for some time. The way I see it that timeline split has the most games on it, I want to see the Child Timeline get a new game finally, and I think that is what Zelda Wii U will be.

Last edited:
I think it's time to return to the Adult Timeline. We haven't seen a new game on that split of the timeline since Twilight Princess. There's a lot of room for a sequel to that game. Although I wouldn't want to see it myself since it seems unfeasible from a story perspective, I've heard quite a bit of Zelda fans asking for a TP sequel located entirely in the Twilight Realm.

Another option is to revisit areas from past games. A Link Between Worlds already gave older fans a dose of nostalgia through a return to A Link to the Past's Hyrule. What if more obscure areas like Holodrum and Labrynna from the Oracle games were reimagined in 3D? Since the events of those games occurred on a different part of the timeline, a unique plot and items could be offered to differentiate from what's been done before and increase newer players' interest in the older games.

VitaTempusN92

I think it's time to return to the Adult Timeline. We haven't seen a new game on that split of the timeline since Twilight Princess. There's a lot of room for a sequel to that game. Although I wouldn't want to see it myself since it seems unfeasible from a story perspective, I've heard quite a bit of Zelda fans asking for a TP sequel located entirely in the Twilight Realm.

Another option is to revisit areas from past games. A Link Between Worlds already gave older fans a dose of nostalgia through a return to A Link to the Past's Hyrule. What if more obscure areas like Holodrum and Labrynna from the Oracle games were reimagined in 3D? Since the events of those games occurred on a different part of the timeline, a unique plot and items could be offered to differentiate from what's been done before and increase newer players' interest in the older games.

Twilight Princess isn't in the Adult Timeline, the Adult Timeline is the one with WW, PH, and ST, TP was in the Child Timeline which in Official terms lists MM, TP, and FSA.

They should do that: Make a direct sequel to AoL and call it "Zelda 3: the blank of the blank" and watch people lose their minds at the title choice.

All joking and crazy time split stories aside (because let's face it, they will never make a game more complicated story-wise than say, Oot), I really would like to see a continuation of the thread started in LoZ/AoL.

Planet Keetis

YouTuber - Planet Keetis

although this is indeed an interesting idea/plot. i have to agree this would be an insult to zelda fans and render the past zelda adventures meaningless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom