• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Small MM Theory...

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
A short oneshot written by Kikifoo on Deviant Art got me thinking. Here is the fanfic, again, I TAKE NO CREDIT FOR IT, I DID NOT WRITE IT.
"W-we have to help him, Skull Kid!" The purple fairy squeaked. He watched as the mask salesman writhed on the forest floor, clutching his throat and struggling for breath. The Skull Kid had torn at his neck with the small knife the mask salesman kept with him to carve and the blood wouldn't stop coming.

Skull Kid knew the voice was coming from here. He could feel it in his chest. He could hear it in his head. It told him to rid the world of the red-haired man. The voice told him to find it.

"No…" He mumbled. He threw the blankets that had been previously coiled upon the heavy rectangular bag away and undid the ties that held the pack closed. He could feel something coming from the inside.

"We have to get help-" The Skull Kid ripped his attention from the inside of the bag, to the bobbing indigo fairy, Tael. He simply stared at him with his head cocked impatiently. He didn't have to say anything to shut the fairy up.

"What's happening to you, Skull Kid?" Tael shivered.

"I'm fine." Skull Kid grunted.

"Tael… What's going on?!" A golden fairy shrieked. She had just dodged her way through the trees and found her brother and friend sitting in small clearing that had been stained with blood. She couldn't help but grimace at the now unmoving man with his hand locked around his own throat. His eyes were closed and his face was twisted into a pained expression. While the blood still oozed from between his fingers, his ragged breaths were slowly halting.

"Skull Kid, what did you do?!"

"Tatl, I-" Tael started, voice wavering.

"Shut UP!" The Skull Kid waved his hands around his head and gave the two of them a fiery glare. He turned towards the bag once more, plunged his hands into it and instantly felt the smooth surface of the thing he'd been searching for. It almost stung to touch. He pulled it out and gaped at the brilliant dissonant colors and the large, circular eyes that almost seemed alive.

"You found me," The voice whispered. "Now let me show you the kind of friendship you deserve."

The Skull Kid took no time to turn the wide-eyed heart-shaped mask away from him and stare into the back of it. His fingers were gripped tightly in between the spikes protruding from each side, and he drew in a deep breath before he felt his arms quiver against a slowly building pressure. It felt like the mask was pushing itself into his face, but he wasn't sure he cared.

"Don't resist…" It hissed, and without much more, the mask clung to the Skull Kid's face. He felt a hot surge of pain erupt throughout his cheeks and eyes, and soon it was spreading to every limb on his body. He wanted to cry out, but after a few moments of aching and shouts from the speculating fairies, he felt fine. Better than fine, actually.

In fact, it was like he wasn't even there anymore.
So, to summarize:

The Happy Mask Salesman was killed by the Skull Kid, who was chosen by Majora to wear Majora's Mask. The mask salesman then haunted Clock Tower until the end of the game/he got the mask back, and he was free to enter the afterlife.

This explains why the mask salesman seems to appear/disappear out of nowhere, and why he is never seen again after the end of the game. It explains why the piano used to teach the Song of Healing just magically appeared(ghost powers...)

Discuss.

Last edited:

Garo

Boy Wonder
This explains why the mask salesman seems to appear/disappear out of nowhere, and why he is never seen again after the end of the game. It explains why the piano used to teach the Song of Healing just magically appeared(ghost powers...) However, the Song of Healing sends restless souls to the afterlife and creates a mask out of them. So why didnt this happen to the mask salesman when he taught the song? That is the only hole in the theory, even if it is a small one.

Discuss.

This theory also doesn't mesh with any of the established forms of the afterlife seen in the game. Darmani is a ghost, but Link needs the Lens of Truth to see him. Igos du Ikana and his royal guard are dead, but are undead skeletal beings. Why then would the Happy Mask Salesman have a corporeal form and be clearly capable of touching things (unlike Darmani) while also having his full body (unlike Igos and his guards)?

In addition, some of the other things you mention this theory explains are easily explained otherwise. For instance, he is never see after the end of the game because the next game in sequence, Twilight Princess, takes place some 100 or so years after Majora's Mask - the Happy Mask Salesman simply died during that time.

I wouldn't call it impossible, but I would certainly call it improbable.

Dragoncat

This theory also doesn't mesh with any of the established forms of the afterlife seen in the game. Darmani is a ghost, but Link needs the Lens of Truth to see him. Igos du Ikana and his royal guard are dead, but are undead skeletal beings. Why then would the Happy Mask Salesman have a corporeal form and be clearly capable of touching things (unlike Darmani) while also having his full body (unlike Igos and his guards)?
I read a book once where a dead guy who had unfinished business built himself a robot body so he could touch things, and so people could see him. The mask salesman could probably pull that off, he strikes me as someone who could be a skilled crafter. Maybe this robot body is only visible to the one who can help get the mask back(Link). That would explain why nobody in clock town mentions some weirdo hanging out in the clock tower with a backpack...

It's a... Nice theory. One thing I must mention: In the manga, this theory could be 100% true. But in the game, close to 0% true. At the end me simply walked off, probably to go someplace else.

oracleofcanada

never give in brohams!
this would make sense... except for one tiny detail and this was already mentioned but the different forms of afterlife not just in MM but in the entire series the closest to what we've seen that could make this make sense is the golden wolf who is the spirit form of the ancient hero (hero's shade/OoT link) but that's an animal form, and from what we've seen the way that you describe it, is the happy mask salesman would have to be in an animal form, not a human form...

thank you for your time ^_^

Dragoncat

this would make sense... except for one tiny detail and this was already mentioned but the different forms of afterlife not just in MM but in the entire series the closest to what we've seen that could make this make sense is the golden wolf who is the spirit form of the ancient hero (hero's shade/OoT link) but that's an animal form, and from what we've seen the way that you describe it, is the happy mask salesman would have to be in an animal form, not a human form...
OoT Link is special, he saved the world twice. So I'm not surprised he gets an animal form. What did the salesman do? Took a mask with ancient evil powers, then got it taken from him. And creeped people out. So yeah, not everybody gets to be a wolfy. Or any other animal for that matter.

TriFiERCE

Fury, Spirit, and Will
It's is disturbing, and sick. This theory is defiantly 0% Possible, this is LoZ, they never go that sick, this is just on of those guys how thinks a bit to deep, like that guy who made a theory if Pokemon(Anime) was just a dream.

Dragoncat

It's is disturbing, and sick. This theory is defiantly 0% Possible, this is LoZ, they never go that sick, this is just on of those guys how thinks a bit to deep, like that guy who made a theory if Pokemon(Anime) was just a dream.
How is it sick? There are other ghosts with apparent unfinished business. Dampe, Darmani, the list goes on and on.

But omg. That Pokemon theory... -_-

thank you for your time ^_^

Correct. A wolf resembles a sprit animal, so HMS would have to be a wolf if he was a spirit.

TriFiERCE

Fury, Spirit, and Will
I can see Skull Kid doing that too, in a fan-fic, the Legend of Zelda doesn't go as far to cut necks like that:sick:.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Your logic is good, especially since MM is the darkest Zelda game IMO. However, the things you cited as support were just ciphers(?) of the N64 hardware. The HMS several times changes pose randomly. Also, nobody noticed him in the tower since it ooks like nobody ever goes down there.

This theory seems pretty interesting through my point of view. Is it possible if you could put a link to the fanfiction/theory? :3

Link. Hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom