• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Serious Question Regarding the NX

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
In order for the NX to do well all comes down to first party games. If there are good games on the system, like the 3DS. The NX will undoubtably sell. All of these games have to be unique however, and not just rehashes of their 3DS counterparts.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
@Matt I think you misunderstood me, because I was agreeing with everything you just said. Cycles are there for a reason, meaning new consoles come out when the natural order of things decides that it is time for them to come out: when the technology is worth it (i.e., cheap enough to be affordable), when the current technology has reached its limits, and when the consumer is ready for it.

What I was saying is the consumer expects a cycle to last. We make investments in hardware and software and 2-3 year turn-around is simply not a good investment. Gaming would die off if that were the case, as only a few people would be able to afford it.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
To be successful I think they need

A rebrand. The Wii name is not respectable in gaming circles and after the Wii Poo it is in tatters. It can't be salvaged and it would be ridiculous to try. This new console needs to not look like a Wii and any advertising including colour schemes should not resemble those of Wii advertisements. Kimishima himself should make an appearance and announce this turnaround. He is the president of Nintendo now and needs to be the one people feel they can trust.

No in your face control gimmick. The way the games are played should not be the focus. It should be the games themselves.

Affordable price. Even PS and Xbox have not sold that great as of yet. They are too expensive for a start. People don't want to spend loads of money on a games console and this NX needs to be affordable.

A grand lineup of launch titles.

It needs to play Blu ray and DVD

It needs a good online service

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
@Matt I think you misunderstood me, because I was agreeing with everything you just said. Cycles are there for a reason, meaning new consoles come out when the natural order of things decides that it is time for them to come out: when the technology is worth it (i.e., cheap enough to be affordable), when the current technology has reached its limits, and when the consumer is ready for it.

What I was saying is the consumer expects a cycle to last. We make investments in hardware and software and 2-3 year turn-around is simply not a good investment. Gaming would die off if that were the case, as only a few people would be able to afford it.
Well in any case it was worth explaining why it is so important for cycles to last longer than they used to.

Of course. But when profits come at the expense of the consumer, those profits will not sustain themselves.
This is true, hence the fact that once the profits are there, fome of the fan demand needs to be satisfied as well. I can agree with you there.
I disagree that Nintendo is doing it with every console. The Wii had the opportunity to be the greatest console of all time. It's still a console with some spectacular games, and a unique way to play some of those games, but ultimately, it fell short by not meeting industry standards in terms of hardware.
I don't think Nintendo cared about the industry standards. The cash coming in from the Wii more than made up for that. Preset industry standards are a good thing. But this does not mean that the standards can't be bettered or broken in any way too.
The Wii U did not innovate in any way. Again, still a great console, with some of the best games out currently, but again, fell short in terms of hardware and the controller held it back.
It did innovate with the gamepad.
Which is why I make my point later on about the controller needing to be gimmick-free. Like it or not, the gaming world as a whole is tired of "innovative" control methods.
I think the opposite is true. The industry is tired of the same boring control methods we've had for the past decades. That's exactly why Sony is doing VR. To give their customers new innovative ways to play games.
Nintendo did it to make a quick buck.
I would agree this was part of the reason too. Not the whole reason, but money is always a factor.
It isn't arbitrary. Cycles are in place for a reason. They give the consumer more "bang for the buck". Making a $300+ purchase on a piece of hardware is an investment. As a consumer, you expect this investment to last you more than 2-3 years. Because you're not just making the hardware purchase: you're making software and peripheral purchases as well, and—in the case of MS and Sony—you're paying for monthly subscriptions to online accounts.

By your theory, all three companies could release "updated" versions of new hardware every 2-3 years. I mean, PCs are upgradable literally multiple times a year, so if you like, Nintendo could release the NX, NX 2.0 and NX 3.0 all within a two year period, and that would be okay? Absolutely not.
Nintendo will not release mid cycle consoles like that. Mostly they are end cycle updates that few people buy. The N3DS is the exception. This is because peopel only buy Nintendo hardware to experience the games. Why would anyone buy a NX 2.0 unless there are exclusive games for it. If the original console does the job fine, there is zero need to upgrade to newer hardware. Nintendo understand this.
Like I said, I feel like the majority of the industry is tired of "unique" control methods. I think the Wii Controller was the way to go, but Nintendo didn't stick with it, and now it's too late. The Game Pad was a failure. I promise you no one wants a gimmicky controller anymore. Thus, Nintendo can't afford to make the Wii and Wii U mistake a third time.
The gamepad did not do as well as it could of because it was not marketed and utalised properly in enough games. The fact it existed in the first place, I think is a great thing. I do not agree that the majority hate unique control methods. Once people learn how to use the new control methods and there are enough games that use these new control methods well, people will warm to them and accept them.
If there is going to be innovation, it has to come from elsewhere. I'm not against Nintendo trying something new, unique, or even rebellious, but it simply can't come from the controller. The time for that may come in the future, but the NX can't afford to take a gamble, and a gimmicky controller is a gamble, and one that will fail based on precedent.
Elsewhere as well as the controls I can agree with you. Nintendo's control methods did NOT fail because they existed. They failed because they were not used enough in games and were not marketed properly.
To be successful I think they need

A rebrand. The Wii name is not respectable in gaming circles and after the Wii Poo it is in tatters. It can't be salvaged and it would be ridiculous to try. This new console needs to not look like a Wii and any advertising including colour schemes should not resemble those of Wii advertisements. Kimishima himself should make an appearance and announce this turnaround. He is the president of Nintendo now and needs to be the one people feel they can trust.

No in your face control gimmick. The way the games are played should not be the focus. It should be the games themselves.

Affordable price. Even PS and Xbox have not sold that great as of yet. They are too expensive for a start. People don't want to spend loads of money on a games console and this NX needs to be affordable.

A grand lineup of launch titles.

It needs to play Blu ray and DVD

It needs a good online service

Apart from the fact you really hate how Nintendo does certain things. I agree with you on a few things. The name was fine. No issues there from anyone with a mental age above 5.

The way the games are played should be the focus as much as the games are themselves. I strongly believe this. I know many here do not. To me if you want a console with 3 decade old styled controls, the PS and XBox do that the best. Nintendo can not compete with that, and Nintendo choose not to, with their innovative controls.

The price has to be affordable I agree 100%.

A grand launch line up? Again I totally agree with you there.

DVD? Fine. Blu-Ray? That's less likely due to the licencing fees Sony would charge for it. I don't think Nintendo want to pay that. Apple did not. I think Nintendo will be the same and not want to pay that.

A good online service is a must as well I agree.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Nint is doomed, they will never be a success in the public eye again. That being said, all it would take is some "lol hardcore" **** to be featured. we're talking CoD with all the DLC, we're talking Dank Souls or Bloodborne 2, we're talking all of it. no more gimped ports, late releases, missing DLC, or any of that ****.

But we all know Nintendo and third parties do not mix well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom