• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Scary Microsoft Move I Wasn't Even Aware of

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Seriously guys, technology advances. With every new advancement comes the changing of the domestic environment. I wouldn't be surprised if similar complaints were made about the advent of the telephone entering the home. "This is an invasion of our privacy, now people can know when we're in or not!". It was inevitable that the cameras placed in our home would one day have that information streamed to the company responsible for them. Why? Because there's money in it. Businesses operate for money. Are you beginning to connect the dots?
Some people have their systems in their bedrooms. And for college students, they're in those dorms, which are their bedrooms. So... you think it's okay for someone to get a live feed of you changing your underwear so long as they only intend to make a profit on it? This isn't even close to just a telephone, and you know it. It's knowing exactly what you're doing, exactly what you do or don't have on. Why does the right to privacy suddenly evaporate if it's only used to make money? Why does that excuse it? It shouldn't. With that kind of data, if it can be abused, it will be. Including the government violating your constitutional rights to implicate you in some crime.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
@TBR
This is t just about what Microsoft can/will do with the stats. As stated earlier, the NSA has access to anything Windows and, if I recall, the XONE uses some form of Windows 8. As I said, even if Microsoft themselves aren't doing anything with the stuff, other people can/will. It's the same thing with browsing the Internet, only now there's direct feed video of you. Yes, obstructing the lens of the Kinect will ultimately get rid of this issue, as wi not buyi g the thi g at all. However what about the people who don't want to go through all that - who just want their Xbox one to have fun with some games and are t doing anything particularly private? Sucks to them, because thy either have to go through unnecessary procedures (obstructing kinect), or they get to be spied on. Repeat: it isn't just what Microsoft is doing with the data. It's what others. Could and WILL do. That's just mean, I'm sorry.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Don't really understand the worries here, the console's camera will by far have a harder time to catch you doing something you wouldn't want other to see than your phone or webcam, which is wireless and could be accessed while you are for example sitting on the toilet or changing underwear. And is it really necessary to have the console turned on, or the lens in a position to see everything (if you are paranoid) when you aren't anyway intending to be playing a game but to do something you definitely wouldn't want anyone else to see? Then of course you can always just ignore to buy the console if you feel as if it's a violation of your privacy.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Y'see, like a lot of others, you're assuming that there will be someone sat at a computer actively watching what the Kinect is picking up. That's not what they're built for. Pretty much everyone has a camera on their phone or even their laptop (which is marvelously more unsafe than the Kinect ever could be). The kinect is videoing you, yes, but the only information that anyone from Microsoft will ever have access to without your prior consent is a bunch of numbers. Otherwise they will be overstepping their legal boundaries, and THEN you will have reason to criticize their use of the cameras.
Laptop cameras do not turn on without an indicator light turning on. It's part of the hardware, software can't override it. You're being far too trusting. They'll definitely be using it. Police and other government agents would definitely use it for illegal surveillance. Why bother sneaking in a surveillance device or something like that when you have a conveniently placed one right there you already have backdoor access to?

If you've really worked yourself into that much of a panic that you're scared about who's watching, turn off the console or put some tape across the lens. Or, as many people have pointed out and I'm normally hesitant to say (as it's usually a very reductionist argument), don't buy the console. Microsoft are not overstepping your rights to privacy, even if they could see the raw video files, as it's you who chooses to put the system in your bedroom and leave it turned on whilst getting changed. The XOne isn't going to be a security camera placed right outside your bedroom window, because you are in control.
Many people don't have a choice in placing it in thei bedroom, or dorm room. It's the only place they can. And have even paid attention to the Kinect news? It's always on so long as it's plugged in. It's always listening for at least one voice command. That opens the door to have it doing other things all the time. Microsoft claims that you can turn it off, but still requires it to be plugged into be able to run the console. That should raise eyebrows. They do intend to use it on some constant basis without your consent.

My comment regarding profit was regarding the assumption that Microsoft are in it simply to spy on us, and you know that. Not even in the slightest regarding our right to privacy which, as I've already mentioned, isn't being broken at all. Now you'll have to excuse me, I have to go and throw out my Wiimotes. I don't want someone from Nintendo spying on me and knowing where my lightbulbs are...
I ask again, why is it suddenly okay to spy on us if they only intend to use it to make a profit? Why does that magically excuse it? They are collecting information about you against your consent and have filed patents that shows their desire to use it to control you. This kind of information gathering is a gray area, it's not exactly legal, but not explicitly illegal yet either. Though if you've payed any attention to the news lately, there are some people in congress trying to get it illegal. Probably because they realize this personally affects themselves too so they have some motivation to do it.

It's not as simple as "just not getting it". We just know about it in this. For all we know it exists in smartphones already. What are you going to say there? "Just don't get a smartphone." All the service providers are steadily attempting to phase out non-smartphones. Several will not sell anything else. You have no choice. It's not as simple as "just don't buy it." You need to go further than that.

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
After reading this thread, I realize that most of you probably don't know that microsoft removed the kinect being mandatory. Its still being shipped with the one, but it doesn't NEED to be connected anymore. That took that away shortly after the DRM reversal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom