• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A New Video Game Console? OUYA

Recently, a new Kickstarter project has been getting some attention. It is to fund a new Android powered console. So far it has already received $3 million in funding from Kickstarter backers.

It seems like the whole point of it is to bring some of the more popular smartphone games to a console. Do you see that as an evolution? They also want to make it easier for indie developers to develop on their console. Do you see this as a plus or minus? It is inexpensive, only $99. Hacking is also permitted. They seem to want to promote an open gaming world, which may not be the most profitable, but the idea does sound nice.

"Specifications:

Tegra3 quad-core processor
1GB RAM
8GB of internal flash storage
HDMI connection to the TV, with support for up to 1080p HD
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth LE 4.0
USB 2.0 (one)
Wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button), a touchpad
Android 4.0"

What do you think? Would you get this? Or are you hesitant?

Dan

Still in the dark when it comes to smartphones and android.
I think it's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how it will go. I always thought of android games as short but sweet games you play to burn time. I'm aware that mobile games have had an impact on handheld games. Some people even going as far as to say it will kill the 3ds and vita (hah).

I'm curious sure how it will compete on the big screen. I'm not sure I would really buy a console to play a couple rounds of a tetris clones or something else like that. I don't know what games are on android to be honest :I

We already have pc for an "open gaming world" but I suppose this would be the console alternative. It could work really well if some people decide to make games intended for this console. Only time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom