• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo A New Switch Model to Enter Production June 2021

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff

I know, every year it seems like talk of the elusive “Switch Pro” resurfaces; I'm in the same boat as most people of remaining skeptical of anything on the matter. However, sometimes there is news that seems decently likely to be true, and yesterday evening such news broke from Bloomberg. According to the report, Nintendo has partnered with Samsung Display Co. to begin mass production of 7-inch 720p-resolution OLED panels as early as June, with an initial monthly target of just under a million units. Shipments of the panels to assemblers are expected around July.

In addition to the improved display, the updated console will be 4K Ultra-HD compatible while docked in an attempt to stand toe-to-toe with Sony and Microsoft's newly released next-gen consoles, the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, respectively. This is a good long-term goal considering just last month Nintendo's president Shuntaro Furukawa said during a Japanese Q&A, translated by Video Games Chronicle, that the Switch is only “in the middle of its lifecycle.”

Technically, original Switch models already boast a 720p resolution in handheld mode, but they often struggle to perform at native resolution. The OLED (organic light-emitting diode) panels could improve contrast, increase responsiveness, as well as expand battery life. This would be a welcomed improvement, but the larger draw here is the 4K compatibility when hooking up to a television.

All things considered, we should still take this with a grain of salt. Two years ago, we reported on the Wall Street Journal's announcement of "two Switch models" entering production that would release together, which was believed to be the Switch Pro and of course the Switch Lite. The latter turned out to be true, but what everyone thought would be the Switch Pro was merely a slight revision to the original Switch's hardware. This goes to show that even with a credible source, the details might get mixed up.

Bloomberg reached out to representatives of Nintendo and Samsung Display, but both declined to comment.

Would you buy a Switch Pro later this year? Do you think it would be fine if this upgrade has exclusive games that will take advantage of its 4K display while docked, while the original Switch and Switch Lite will miss out on those games, or should the same games be available across all versions? Another interesting thought is whether next-gen developers will begin producing games for the Switch, or if the resolution gap between the updated console's handheld and docked modes will scare them away? Sound off in the comments below!

Source: Bloomberg

I'm seriously interested in debating the future for Nintendo if a Switch Pro releases. Would we see exclusive games for the upgraded console because of it's supposed 4K compatibility while docked? Keep in mind I'm not saying it is definitely happening. Will there be increased interest from developers to make Switch versions of their titles, or will the resolution gap between handheld and docked play be a deal breaker?

I'm just making the original source article more obvious and accessible.

My opinions on this.

1.The Switch Pro will not do 4K. Not native, not upscaled, not anything.

2. The alleged new screen (ie the rumour) will most likely make for a bezel reduced console. The screen itself will be similar to the New 3DS-XL. As in same resolution as the original screen just a lower pixel density. So customers will have the choice of a larger screen or a higher pixel density.

3. We don't know if the new screen will have better pixels. It very well mightdo for darker blacks and brighter colours.

4.The Switch Pro might have an updated chip. Tegra X2 possibly. Why? Either for improved battery life or better performance in games.

5. If the Switch Pro provides better performance, don't expect anything amazing. Think 3DS to New 3DS in terms of the comparison between Switch and Switch Pro. Less Dynamic Resolution Scaling. Less frame dips. A better overall experience.

6. Would a Switch Pro allow for more powerful emulation, like how the New 3DS allowed for SNES game emulation?
You can homebrew emulate SNES games on the original 3DS but officially on Virtual console it's New 3DS only.
Could we see N64 or GC or Wii emulation on a Switch Pro? The original Switch can do N64 easily, GC mostly well but Wii, I think a Switch Pro would really help out with that.

7. I think there will be zero Switch Pro exclusive games. My reasoning is that the developers would not want to exclude the Switch Lite market and that is more than likely not getting the pro treatment.

8. Would a Switch Pro enable more games docked at 1080p 30 frames (on original hardware) be able to be 60 frames (on pro hardware)? It's possible.

I'll give my thoughts on your questions as this subject interests me.

Would we see exclusive games for the upgraded console because of it's supposed 4K compatibility while docked?
I'm going to say no.
I feel the Switch Lite market is large enough such that developers don't want to miss out on it with their games.
Could there be Switch Pro versions of these games though, s imilar to how the PS4 had PS4 Pro patches for their games to make them look prettier? Quite possibly yes. I'd not rule this out. I don't think it's likely but it's possible.

However could we see a Xenoblade Chronicles on Switch Pro. I know it's already there but what I mean is one or two pro only games like how Xenoblade Chronicles was on the New 3DS but not on original hardware? I think Nintendo might try it to see what the sales for such a game is. My opinion is this has a low chance of happening.

Will there be increased interest from developers to make Switch versions of their titles, or will the resolution gap between handheld and docked play be a deal breaker?
I'm going to say no also.
Not because of the Switch Pro in any way. The Switch is popular enough that there is enough money is Switch ports now. Panic Button and others are doing the impossible Switch ports. If a developer wants a game ported to Switch they will do it. The existance of a Switch Pro will not change this. We also need realise that the Switch is getting a huge number of ports now.

so the reasoning behind this rumor is that Nvidia (who makes all the switch gpus) is pushing for native 4k resolution on all their processors, so an upgraded switch really would have 4k resolution capacity
That's the base chips and that's likely correct. However 3840 x 2160 on a 7 inch screen is 629 pixels per inch. As a comparison, the iPhone 12 is 460 PPI and as we know is a much more expensive piece of hardware.

Docked? It's possible, I feel that would be upscaled, not native. Just because a chip can, doesn't mean the Switch will. The X1 is downclocked in the current Switch for a number of good reasons and the Switch Pro could also not use all the newchip's capabilities for good reasons also.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
That's the base chips and that's likely correct. However 3840 x 2160 on a 7 inch screen is 629 pixels per inch. As a comparison, the iPhone 12 is 460 PPI and as we know is a much more expensive piece of hardware.

Docked? It's possible, I feel that would be upscaled, not native. Just because a chip can, doesn't mean the Switch will. The X1 is downclocked in the current Switch for a number of good reasons and the Switch Pro could also not use all the newchip's capabilities for good reasons also.

I just don't see a 4k Switch being feasible. It's require a substantial hardware upgrade to maintain that sort of resolution (akin to being a PS4 Pro and even that system just faked 4k) and it just doesn't have many benefits. Upscaled 1080p from the Switch already looks fine on a 4k display, so I don't see the point. If anything, they should focus on providing a performance boost at their current resolution.

That being said, don't expect any Switch Pro exclusives if it turns out the rumors aren't total bull****. Splitting your fanbase isn't a good way to sell games.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
I do believe that Nintendo is working on a revision for the Switch hardware, although I'm hesitant to say what the specs will be. DLSS looks promising for offering higher resolutions on a handheld consoles, but who knows at this point.

It probably won't be a day one buy for me, but I do expect it to coincide with the release of BotW2 to promote the new hardware's capabilities.

With that said, I do not believe that there will be any hardware exclusive titles. The Switch Pro will most likely be like the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X, where games benefit from the added power, but they work across both systems. I don't think the resolution difference from docked to handheld will be enough to present an issue, tbh. With the upscaling capabilities of newer tech that the Switch can take advantage of, I'd say that the resolution should be able to adapt to both modes of play relatively easily when well-optimized.

But at the end of the day, this is all just speculation. Knowing Nintendo, I'd do well to keep my expectations in check for any hardware upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom