• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A New Saving System in Skyward Sword?

Caelus

Sage of Wisdom
save1.png

save2.png

What do you notice that is similar between the two screenshots? That's right, the bird statue. It may seem like a simple temple decoration, but I think it's much more than that. In fact, it may be our new saving system.

Why I think so:

-This statue only appears near the entrance and boss door of the dungeon, which are both sensible places to save your progress
-The neon parts of the statue also glow, as if indicating significance. This is unlike other decoration in the dungeon
-There is a picture of a bird on the statue, and there are wings on it which may connect it to the theme of the game
-It reminds me greatly of the owl saving statues in Majora's Mask
-The lack of a menu- seeing as your keys are displayed directly on the screen and your shields, potions and weapons being on different item wheels,-may suggest that you may have to save with an outer source
-Because Nintendo have been saying they want to change the common flow of Zelda games, saving in such a manner may add some difficulty yet still seems fun and corresponds with the game

If this is truly the saving system, then I am very intrigued and impressed by Nintendo. It just reminds me so much of the Owls in Majora's Mask, I just want to walk up and press "A" to save. I wonder why Nintendo didn't point this out though, although I believe that they didn't really need to as no one saves in a demo.

Thoughts?

You have good points but what are the chances of it being more like the pots form WW? Nah i think your idea is more likely.:yes:

That would be.....great, actually. For the most part.

One of the things I hate about Ocarina of Time, especially now that I'm replaying it, is that when you save it doesn't save you in the exact spot you were in. If you save in say.....Hyrule Field, it transports you all the way back to Kokiri Forest when you restart the file. Or, when you're in say a dungeon, right before the boss room, it will put you at the beginning of the dungeon instead. This annoys me so incredibly, and has really made me stop saving all together or simply save, but leave the game on so I can continue later on, plugging it into the wall to charge it if necessary. If this fixes that, that'd be great.

On the other hand, I've never been a fan of the saving system in say....some mario games, where you can only save at certain save blocks. It's really inconvenient sometimes, when you really need to save quick but you can't because you don't have the option to and there's no save block in sight. If this turns into that....we'll see how I feel about it.

Vibed

must read before he posts
Actually a NOA rep (I think it was Erik Peterson) mentioned in a preview or two that there will be specific points where you can go up to Skyloft if you're in need of potions, ammo, etc. Those statues could possibly have something to do with them, as they are at sensible points.

actually i heard a nintendo person say the statutes are for two things saving and going back to skyloft to get more potions and ammo.

TopherD05

Hyrulian Knight
actually i heard a nintendo person say the statutes are for two things saving and going back to skyloft to get more potions and ammo.
This is what i think and hope that they are for. I know that i heard a Nintendo rep at E3 say that some kind of bird statue would be used to go back up to Skyloft, which could be the statue pictured but being able to save would be nice as well.

Vibed

must read before he posts
Oh yeah, I remember now, Nate mentioned the statues as save points too.

So now that that question is settled, how exactly will they work?

Yeah, they are probably like upgraded Owl Statues. I believe there will be 2 or 3 per dungeon corresponding with beginning, middle, and end. Exactly how this works in a Zelda game whose traditional flow has been altered is not yet clear.

Also, didn't Aonuma-kun say something about "reducing the time you spend lost..."? With that, at least we know these "Save Statues" will be quite useful.

MidnaOfTheTwili

Link x Zelda
Blech, it sure seems that they are going to be used for saving and teleporting as mentioned on this thread. Which is useful, but I still MUCH prefer being able to save whenever I need to like in OoT and such.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
Well that's entirely off putting in my mind.

I'm sure there's some logical reason to use a 'save-point' system instead of a free-save system but, I fail to see it. Personally it seems like a step backwards to me but, well, I wasn't a fan of the former system in the early 90s and I have yet to play a game which has changed that opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom