• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A New Generation: How Much is Too Much?

This was hinted in a recent interview regarding small titbits about Pokémon X & Y, this reliable Source should verify that. Basically we will guarantee to get at least 50 new Pokémon but how many over is currently unknown at this stage.
So when you said "the least amount of Pokemon in a generation", you were just assuming something that hasnt been confirmed whatsoever.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
As much as I would love to have new pokemon, doesn't anyone else think they're going a bit too fast here? They just released Black & White 2 In October! I barely had any time to enjoy it! Personally, I would MUCH rather have a Ruby/Sapphire Remake. But since GameFreak basically said that's never to happen, lets get back to the topic. I believe we should have more pokemon, but not so quickly! I'm still trying to memorize 5th gen!

Hachi

Happy Valentines Day!
What generation are we on now? 7th? 8th? I can't even keep track anymore, but the point is that when X and Y are released there will be over 700 Pokemon.
6th Gen, actually.

Are you sick of having to learn the hundreds of names?
Do you love the increased depth, and expansion of the Pokemon universe?

I personally find it very overwhelming.
Learning all the names is not really mandatory to enjoy the game. For instance, I give my Pokemon nicknames no matter what, when I started BW I just referred to them mostly by the name I choose. Me and my boyfriend play along each other usually, and when referring to them sometimes we would even make up on own terrible names for them (My favorite being Zebrata for Blitzle). I do eventually learn them, but usually by the means of the Anime and the card game- which was actually the very same way I learned them during generation I when there was only 150 Pokemon. :P

I do love that the Pokemon Universe is continuing to grow.

As far as getting overwhelmed is concerned, that is a valid concern, however the first games in Gen V actually addressed that. Through the E4 there was no old Pokemon, just 156 brand new Pokemon- none of them of which had any relation to other Pokemon. Old fans were in the same boat as new fans, having to learn names and types and such.

The series going to be 17 years old soon- I think being on Generation VI is more than acceptable. :nod:

So when you said "the least amount of Pokemon in a generation", you were just assuming something that hasnt been confirmed whatsoever.

Alright so I made it out like a Confirmation and I probably shouldn't of done I admit that, but regardless of what I said I still believe that Gen VI will have the fewest number of new Pokémon. After reading the post, I think that we will not get more then 750 Pokémon otherwise the post would of said "Over 750 Pokémon". Given how the adverts for Gen V stated to discover over 150 new Pokémon, we did get more but only 6 more. This could very well apply to the estimate The Pokémon Company gave about over 700 Pokémon. I'd imagine we'd get a total of 715 Pokémon maximum.

That's still quite a number of Pokémon overall, but I doubt Gen VI will provide a huge amount of Pokémon like Gen I and V did, if anything they may get the same or lower amount of new Pokémon like Gen II where they only introduced 99 new Pokémon. Since designing original Pokémon is getting harder and Harder each time, It makes sense if there isn't as many Pokémon this time round.

Last edited:

Naga

MUSICALITY!
Great Glaux in Glaumora, over 700 pokemon? It feels like it was only yesterday there were only 491 Pokemon. My cousin got me into pokemon back in the fourth generation. I've kinda missed out on everything in generation V, all cause I don't have Black or White. What happend was I have this "DS One Super Card" thing that can hold tons of DS games on this tiny little SD card insert into the card that goes into the DS itself. My dad had put both Platinum and Diamond on it, and they both worked just fine. So when generation V rolled around, he did the same thing. But wherever he got the file from or whatever happened, the game refused to save. The super card let's you put a "real-time save" patch on a game, so when you press all these buttons at the same time, it activates. So i tried to figure out how to put it on, but in the end I screwed the whole thing up and when I try to play the game it keeps sayin that it's not in right and stuff. And the save problem was exsistent for both Black and White. I'm getting White2 pretty soon though, yay!

*Plays Black and White 2*

"Hey I think I've got down all the names of the Gen 5 Pokemon! They're part of the family now!"

Game Freak: "Here's 100+ more!"

*cries in corner*

I dislike the generalization that older players will dislike newer games and newer players will love them. I started playing Pokemon with Generation II, and later played Generation I, III, and so on. I still love Pokemon, I even love Generation 5 more than any of the other generations! I also know quite a few people that feel the same. I never actually got why people disliked new Pokemon, but I guess I'm incapable of getting tired of some things.

Is that even true? Has Pokemon become significantly less popular lately?

Sorry it took awhile to respond. I was out of town for a bit.

I guess it depends on who you are. I've noticed a lot of people who have acknowledged the general stagnation of Pokemon games, regardless of whether or not they're still Pokemon fans. You can still enjoy a franchise's sequels each time they come out even if you acknowledge they're flawed or repetitive. Heck, I know for a fact I would enjoy Pokemon Black/White if I played them, but it's still highly doubtful my disappointment in the series would be curbed, as from what I hear, those games in and of themselves didn't exactly do a lot to reinvent the wheel. It made some steps forward, but I saw nothing in them that changed my mind about the series. I suppose I'm mostly speaking for myself in this area, but I know I'm not the only one a little tired of Pokemon's constant formula. So I'm not saying older fans will dislike the newer games, but I am saying the new games most likely won't have the same kick for them as when they first got involved. That's not a fact, just a thought conjured up by yours truly.

What you're referencing in the second paragraph is a similar thought; my keywords are "may" and "likely." Pokemon still stands strong in the video game community, but I'm not entirely sure how much longer that'll last, especially if they churn out sequels as fast as they are and fail to innovate sufficiently on all of them. Some will stick around and enjoy each new Pokemon game as if it was the first time all over again, but I suspect many would begin to fall away when each new game they played was not only so similar to the rest, but they were reminded of that fact so quickly because of the small waits between releases. Again, not a scientific fact, just a random thought of mine that may or may not come to pass.

In short, I'm wary of Pokemon's future, but I'm not condemning it or saying everyone else is disappointed.

Fig

The Altruist
What generation are we on now? 7th? 8th? I can't even keep track anymore, but the point is that when X and Y are released there will be over 700 Pokemon.

Are you sick of having to learn the hundreds of names?
Do you love the increased depth, and expansion of the Pokemon universe?

I personally find it very overwhelming.

Discuss, what are ya thinkin'?

We are barely in the 6th generation of Pokémon. -.- Anyways, I find it amazing how Nintendo and GameFreak are continuing to produce Pokémon games as most fans were speculating that it was going to end at Black 2/White 2 which I responded with "They are going to continue Pokémon". I am so excited to see the game when more news is leaked out! :D I know this generation is going to be unique and exciting. But what I love most, is that the video game series that I played as a child since the beginning of its franchise is still alive as I continue to enjoy everything about Pokémon. Can't wait for Pokémon to turn 20 years old! :party:

Rachel

be vigitant
I don't think it's too overwhelming, although I do think that with this many Pokemon, the newer ones are going to start to look similar to the older ones. For example, the fire starter fox creature reminds me of Vulpix and Ninetales, and the grass starter looks like a Turtwig Nuzleaf hybrid.

YukiHanasaki643

Conquester
The first side of me thinks Pokemon games are being released a bit too fast, and with all these new Pokemon it's a bit much. I'm not saying I'm not happy with Pokemon games now (I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT) I just think that they should have 1 or 2 games that have a new concept, like the 3d in Pokemon X and Y, with all the old Pokemon (pikachu).

Entirely new Pokemon games with 100+ new Pokemon shouldn't be released like mad, eg 3 every year otherwise that would be quite overwhelming.

Now for the second side of me! I THINK THEY SHOULD MAKE 7 POKEMON GAMES A MONTH WITH 2000 NEW POKEMON IN THEM ON THE WII U IN HD AND THE 3DS IN 3D!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(pikachu)GO POKEMON!!!!!!!(pikachu)

Skunk

Floof
I say that there should only be 150in the game, all new, no old, no national dex, but have the players be able to customize there Pokemon by say,giving them accessories,armor,different fur colors, and of course various items so that you won't commonly run into the same Pokemon.

All I can say is "more please", and I am not even joking...

I agree with this. I enjoy the competitive aspect of pokemon, which means that a new generation brings in new twists and turns to be considered when constructing a new team or editing an old one to make it fair better in the new environment. If you look at the differences caused by each new generation you will notice it's been huge. It's gone from being an environment where you could dominate with two pokemon, slowly expanding as the mechanics of the game have changed. On top of this, the slower stall based tactics have been replaced by a much faster hard hitting pace. It's something for me to look forward to in the future, and on top of that I've always found the story fun no matter how many times they've just tweaked it a little bit. It doesn't usually work with any company for me, but Nintendo seem to make it happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom