• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A New Generation: How Much is Too Much?

What generation are we on now? 7th? 8th? I can't even keep track anymore, but the point is that when X and Y are released there will be over 700 Pokemon.

Are you sick of having to learn the hundreds of names?
Do you love the increased depth, and expansion of the Pokemon universe?

I personally find it very overwhelming.

Discuss, what are ya thinkin'?

Mors

~Death~
I personally don't know all of the Pokemon, but I really don't think there's too many Pokemon, one day they'll reach the limit, but this new gen won't push the count too high.

Austin

Austin
I can see how it would be confusing if you're someone who took a break somewhere along the line, but if you're someone that's been following it pretty continuously, it's not that overwhelming. I personally welcome any additional content.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
700 pokemon is definitely a lot to learn for anyone who either just got into the game, or hasn't played since gen 2 or 3 or something. I still get some of the 5th gen pokemon confused myself, forgetting their types or something, but that's only cus I didn't play 5th gen as much as the previous gens, not cus there were too many pokemon in general.

I think Nintendo knows that the pokemon count is getting kinda high, B/W only used 5th gen pokemon until beating the Elite 4 after all, but I like the variety, I like seeing what crazy and awesome new pokemon Nintendo can dish out, and I'm excited for new gens.

My only complaint is that I think they should have given 5th gen a bit more time as the newest gen before moving onto gen 6. I feel like they should have made at least a proper 5th gen Wii pokemon game before diving into gen 6. Just feels like 5th gen didn't have enough time to sink in, but maybe that's just me.

C

Cassowary27

I was never allowed to play with Pokemon as a young child, due to my parents thinking that I would become addicted to it. Which I probably would! :P
I only started playing Pokemon Ruby on an emulator like, last year, and I never even beat it ;_;

But didn't they like, JUST release Black and White?
I think they should wait a while

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I forget the names of any Pokemon that aren't Gen II or lower; I simply am not a dedicated person in regards to Pokemon anymore. Of course, once you start playing all the games, the names of Pokemon are almost like second nature (I used to think the ~200? available at Gen II's release was overwhelming).

In regards to the expansion of the PKMN universe such as new generations every few years...well now that Nintendo can finally handle DLC, I'd much rather they stop releasing "new" Pokemon games and just release a bunch of *free* DLC instead. It's gotten to the point where I regard every new PKMN release as a New Super Mario Bros or even a Call of Duty type; these "new" installments are actually oldbies games with facelifts and a few neat-o things here and there. :I

In regards to the expansion of the PKMN universe such as new generations every few years...well now that Nintendo can finally handle DLC, I'd much rather they stop releasing "new" Pokemon games and just release a bunch of *free* DLC instead. It's gotten to the point where I regard every new PKMN release as a New Super Mario Bros or even a Call of Duty type; these "new" installments are actually oldbies games with facelifts and a few neat-o things here and there. :I

I had a similar thought, actually. Rather than releasing a platoon of new Pokemon in one whole batch, Pokemon could be released as free DLC IF there was a genuinely good concept behind the new Pokemon and everyone was alright with it.

The truth is, I don't care anymore how many new Pokemon are added. Add five, two hundred, one million. I - don't - care. I don't care because we no longer can "catch 'em all." Game Freak has gotten themselves convinced Event Pokemon are the way of the future (or something), and they've now made it virtually impossible to catch all the Pokemon without cheating. Even if Event Pokemon didn't exist, you still usually need older hardware (like the games of the previous generation) to obtain all Pokemon.

When Game Freak releases a generation of Pokemon where you can conveniently catch all of the little critters, I will be happy and my interest in the series will have been greatly renewed. Some may think that makes it too easy to catch all of them. It doesn't. Firstly, there are over seven hundred of them now. Secondly, how many legendaries and all around rare Pokemon are there now? These things are hard to catch even by normal methods. When you finally catch them all, it'll be after dozens of hours and much hard, rewarding work.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Never. Never too much. Pokemon, along with Zelda, is my favorite franchise, and I welcome every new installment.

Now, personally I do think it's a bit early for a new generation. I'm still getting used to the 5th generation with Black 2; I skipped out on BW1 for whatever reason (which I'm regretting now) and I'd like some more time to train my new critters up and fight with other people before I move on to a new game. Still, from what I've seen from the trailers so far, it looks totally awesome. They're finally moving into the 3D realm like I wanted! True, it's not the Elder Scrolls free-roaming style I had envisioned, but whatever, I'm sure it'll still be really good. My speculation is that there aren't going to be a terribly lot of new Pokemon to come out, but rather that GameFreak is focusing on the other aspects of story & gameplay more. Fine by me.

And as to the complaint of the new legendaries being unable to catch without cheating - that's why I gave up and gave in to the ways of Action Replay. I would have never gotten my Darkrai, Shaymin, or Arceus otherwise (have they even been officially released?) and I'm gonna hafta do the same to get Mew and Deoxys. So I don't care about cheating to get them anymore, but if they could make it easier on their part for us to get these new legendaries that'll be better.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Nothing in Pokemon is EVER too much. Remembering the names is at your own discretion. You remember the names from usage of Pokemon. In teams or in Battles. Or in annoying capture moments. It's overwhelming, but that means if someone knows Older Pokemon, that means they have played it longer.

Onto DLC. Using DLC to Pokemon games, sure I can like that. But using DLC to add a new Generation of Pokemon to an Previous Generation game, It's NOT gonna work for me, for anyone and for the Pokemon Market. DLC for additional storyline, areas and easy-more accessible Wild Pokemon I can accept.

Before I start my opinions, or onions, let me say something about Pokemon. Pokemon's Overall, main theme, is obvious. In English It's Gotta Catch em All. In Japanese, it's Get all of them. Collections. Collecting. Looking at each generation from III onward proves this. Games from gen I and II had problems with transferring pokemon and the game mechanics in them are simple. Remakes of Gen I games and the release of Ruby and Sapphire levelled the playing field.

A New Generation Means a new game, which means a New beginning. Getting that particular game means a brand new start to a new game. I treat it differently than Mario or Zelda. The gameplay is repetitive. I could say the same for Mario and Zelda. The only differences is the feel and the level and structure design of each level or dungeon or town or area to challenge the player in new ways.

In mario, same old 2D platforming, you reach the end of the level to reach the next one.
In Zelda, you fight begin the story slow, learn the story, find some sort of magic relic, information or someone special, find a dungeon, beat the boss, find a piece of relic, get updated on your new goal, rinse and repeat a few times, then use the info you have so far to again find a number of items that could beat the repetitive antagonist in your way till you reach the final boss.
In Pokemon, you are always treated like a new beginner. Beating the story is easy. Getting all Pokemon is up to you, a daunting quest that you can either disregard or not. Battling is another aspect of Pokemon. With Nintendo Wifi-Battles are limitless with endless amounts of Strategies.

This time round in Gen VI we only get 50+ new Pokémon which is the least number of New Pokémon introduced in a Generation, so I think The Pokémon Company have played it safe by adding a short number of Pokémon. I say more the merrier yet I was unsure this time round because I thought Game Freak would stop at Gen V, but after seeing this I don't think I will make that mistake again. At least Gen VI didn't give us loads of Pokémon like Gen V did, it's nice to have a small handful of new Pokémon for a Generation.

A New Generation Means a new game, which means a New beginning. Getting that particular game means a brand new start to a new game. I treat it differently than Mario or Zelda. The gameplay is repetitive. I could say the same for Mario and Zelda. The only differences is the feel and the level and structure design of each level or dungeon or town or area to challenge the player in new ways.

In mario, same old 2D platforming, you reach the end of the level to reach the next one.
In Zelda, you fight begin the story slow, learn the story, find some sort of magic relic, information or someone special, find a dungeon, beat the boss, find a piece of relic, get updated on your new goal, rinse and repeat a few times, then use the info you have so far to again find a number of items that could beat the repetitive antagonist in your way till you reach the final boss.
In Pokemon, you are always treated like a new beginner. Beating the story is easy. Getting all Pokemon is up to you, a daunting quest that you can either disregard or not. Battling is another aspect of Pokemon. With Nintendo Wifi-Battles are limitless with endless amounts of Strategies.

I think I'd have to debate that as well. I agree with you that Mario's "newest" 2D platforming adventures tend to bear little change other than new changes, although I've always held Zelda as changing largely between each game while still holding the core formula intact. Pokemon, however, has long struck me as falling into a similar category as Mario's aforementioned 2D platforming adventures. The most you usually get in Pokemon is quite similar to the most you usually get in new Mario platformers: a new paint job over the same gameplay mechanics. In Mario, it's different stages, some new suits, and maybe co-op. In Pokemon, it's different Pokemon, Trainers, and one (possibly) underused gameplay mode. Same game, just looks a little different.

I'm honestly a bit leery of DLC as well; in truth, I want it differently than most other people would probably ask for it. If I explained why, you'd wind up with an even huger post since the answer is a bit complicated and all-inclusive, so let's just say I'm not a fan of settling for just shelling out new Pokemon as DLC within the games' current mindset.

But I'm of the opinion Pokemon needs some heavy changes to save itself from stagnation. Evidently, I'm not the only one a little bored by Pokemon as of late; new fans will find generations V and VI as probably the greatest games in the series, but old fans have been there and done that multiple times over. I'm not saying Pokemon needs to become a hack-and-slash or first-person shooter (especially considering how many Pokemon spinoffs have come close to those descriptions), but changing and renewing the classic formula is likely going to become necessary pretty soon; otherwise, buyer interest may wane more than Game Freak expects.

Where did you hear this? I really doubt a whole generation would be made up of so few pokemon.

This was hinted in a recent interview regarding small titbits about Pokémon X & Y, this reliable Source should verify that. Basically we will guarantee to get at least 50 new Pokémon but how many over is currently unknown at this stage.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
700 pokemon is definitely a lot to learn for anyone who either just got into the game, or hasn't played since gen 2 or 3 or something. I still get some of the 5th gen pokemon confused myself, forgetting their types or something, but that's only cus I didn't play 5th gen as much as the previous gens, not cus there were too many pokemon in general.

I only took a casual interest in the franchise after blue, and even in gen 1, it was largely recognition only without a real sense of what was good or bad. Fast-forward to White/Black. I knew of EVs, IVs, natures, stats, STAB, movesets, etc, but didn't really know anything about them. I assumed it was going to be a Sisyphean task, but the fact that previous generations didn't open up until after the Elite Four helped to digest the mountain of data in smaller chunks. Having a firm grasp on a smaller set of pokemon with which I could experiment with all of the complexities of the game made adding the other four generations more like Legos than reconstructing Stonehenge.

For vets of the franchise, I'm sure it was a pain but for someone who hadn't picked up any of the games since '98, I really appreciated that approach.

As for adding more? Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom