• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Majora's Mask for Art's Sake

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
As a fan of the Zelda series, it's hard not to notice the small things, and it's especially hard as a fanboy to not make some connections between games.

For instance: Have you ever noticed how much the style of Majora's Mask tries to emulate that of Wind Waker?

If you ask me, I'd much rather see a re-make of MM in WW style cel-shading than a straight up port onto the VC. And if you're still asking me, I don't think it would be all that difficult to make the transition.

Now, before you start taking a whack at me, take a look at some of these images and art from MM, and keep WW in your mind:

Deku_Royal.png

It wouldn't be so hard to imagine these characters in cel-shading...

Moon.png

Why such an animated face on the moon? Would a crashing moon not be menacing enough on its own?

Blacksmiths.gif

This Master-Blaster team of Zubora and Gabora, though dark in appearance, have such light-spirited and cartoony dialogue. Cel-shading wouldn't ruffle any feathers here.

Zora_Mask_transformation.jpg

The transformations in an updated, cel-shaded MM would be even more of a sight to behold!

Also, take notice of the more awkward statures of these characters:
Goron Elder
Four Giants
The Indigo-Gos

Deku Link
Is it not possible that some of these characters were made with a basis for humorous animations?

I'd also like to point out how short the period of time between MM and WW actually is. The two games released in under two years difference. The two games must have been in development simultaneously. And if they were, don't you think that some ideas on both games' artistic styles may have splashed and seeped into each other?

MM on VC?
Yes please!

MM remake in WW style cel-shaded graphics instead?
*slips into diabetic shock just realizing how sweet of an idea that is*

I'm not trying to bash you or anything, but this would be a real waste of time for Nintendo. Releasing MM for VC would be so much easier, and the fans are already begging for it. Plus, I think the cel-shading should remain exclusive to WW for now.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
The Cel shading would totally ruin Majora's Mask... If they are gonna remake something, it's gonna be ALttP, as Aonouma said on an interview...

Majora's Mask is perfetc the way it is, period

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
No way would cel-shading ruin MM. Most of the characters, and plenty of the architecture already have a warped-cartoony look to them. The transition wouldn't be hard at all.

And Aonuma didn't say he was going to remake ALttP in 3D, he just said it was an interesting idea and he might. But I see that move as being far too risky. Remaking ALttP could severly alienate many fans who are already wavering since Zelda's past few routes. WW was cel-shaded, which made the older fans uncomfortable; and TP is considered a cake-walk, by no means a hardcore game. How do you think these people would feel if one of the greatest Zelda games of all time was remade into a different format, and wasn't nearly as good as its predecessor?

At least with this idea they can keep the same physics and gameplay, all while giving it a fresh new look for the current gen.

No way would cel-shading ruin MM. Most of the characters, and plenty of the architecture already have a warped-cartoony look to them. The transition wouldn't be hard at all.

And Aonuma didn't say he was going to remake ALttP in 3D, he just said it was an interesting idea and he might. But I see that move as being far too risky. Remaking ALttP could severly alienate many fans who are already wavering since Zelda's past few routes. WW was cel-shaded, which made the older fans uncomfortable; and TP is considered a cake-walk, by no means a hardcore game. How do you think these people would feel if one of the greatest Zelda games of all time was remade into a different format, and wasn't nearly as good as its predecessor?

At least with this idea they can keep the same physics and gameplay, all while giving it a fresh new look for the current gen.

So you're saying OoT would be "excellent" with cel-shading too? I'm sure doing it to MM would tick off a lot more people than it would please. And the "hardcore" argument against TP is non-existent. That's purely your opinion, and quite a few people don't share it.

I agree with you that it would work as a "toon" style game. I also agree with you that it is very likely that their styles seeped into each other.

However, I'd rather not see them mess with Majora's Mask. It's really close to my heart, and while I'm sure they could do it well, I don't think the WW style is the best for MM. It could work, but I don't think it's the best for it.

I'd rather see them make something new anyway.

Chris

It has been awhile...
MM is original because of the way it is done, making it with the same graphics as WW would be so messed. I am not sure what cel-shading is, but I am hoping someone will tell me. I also don't know what VC is, sorry for my stupidity. If you can tell me, I can make this post alot better.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
So you're saying OoT would be "excellent" with cel-shading too? I'm sure doing it to MM would tick off a lot more people than it would please.
Oh, absolutely not. It wouldn't make any sense to cel-shade OoT at all. I can't think of any more than a handful of cartoony moments or characters. That game is meant to be taken with as much seriousness as you can with a video game of that rating. The events and tone of the entire Adult portion of the game would never work in a light tone. I picked MM for a reason, not just because I thought it would be cool.

And Chris:
Cel-shaded graphics are the same as in Wind Waker
VC is an abbreviation for the Wii's Virtual Console

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
MM has moments that would never work with cel shading. But then again, if they laid off on making huge eyes and used only dark colors, it would work. I don't want anything as bright as WW tainting my MM. MM is a gritty game that's comedy grind to halts after the Deku Palace.

All in all the eyes, the shapes of the heads, and the color are what would make or break the style.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
Majora´s Mask is a game that is interesting enough for me to make me want to see it in a different style. Since I do not like the TP graphics I guess cel shading would have to be the way (unless the come up with some new kind of look). I would defenetly buy it and from the moment they annonced it I would look forward to it with much joy and happiness.

What I would love even more is a 2D version of the game ;)

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
I don't know about that. I'm guessing you don't sense the dark feeling shrouding this game. It would be better suited for TP style graphics, but not as bright. Perhaps they could do it as one of their New Play Styles games. I doubt that would happen though.

I'd like to see at least one more game in the future have cel-shaded graphics. Majora's Mask I'm uncertain about. I think it's the darkest really Zelda game in the series, and changing the graphics I think would make it look too happy, which it's clearly not. But I wouldn't mind. I'm not one who wants it on the VC, I don't have any crap to lose.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
I'd like to see at least one more game in the future have cel-shaded graphics. Majora's Mask I'm uncertain about. I think it's the darkest really Zelda game in the series, and changing the graphics I think would make it look too happy, which it's clearly not. But I wouldn't mind. I'm not one who wants it on the VC, I don't have any crap to lose.
See, I feel this is an overlooked misconception.
Remember how many dark moments WW had? And it had cel-shaded graphics.

- The destruction of Greatfish Isle.
- Any scene where Ganondorf is involved. He emitted a serious tone throughout the entire game.

(I'll finish this post later. I'm heading out now. Sorry!)

Yeah Wind Waker had it's dark moments but virtually every Zelda Game had it's dark moments. But I didn't really find the "dark" moments in Wind Waker that dark, because they were in the cartoony graphics. Sure the end King scene was a little bit further, but I think it still would have been even more dramatic in realistic graphics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom