• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A list of every new feature in the Super Mario Maker 2 trailer

Here is all of the new content I found in the Mario Maker 2 trailer after watching it a few times,

UI and Miscellaneous
  • New User interface for selecting things to put on stage - ie in the separate rings
  • Custom level scrolling. So your level can scroll, not only to the right like in Mario Maker 1. Now you can scroll your level up and diagonally up as well as to the right
  • Maximum coin count - Possibly for alternate ways to aquite a checkpoint or beat the level
  • View mode - For zooming out to see more of your level in the editor screen
  • Slightly modified how the camera works when Mario is high up
  • Stripe of colour about items in the top editor toolbar to represent which category each item belongs to
  • The ability to add water to your levels - From SMB3 and SMW
  • Vertical levels
  • New sub area manager at the bottom right of the editor screen. - That's what many including myself think that is
  • Red and Green person button icon - bottom left of the editor UI. This might be to access new playable characters or multiplayer
Terrain, Block and Pipes
  • Steep slopes
  • Gradual slopes
  • Sliding down slopes
  • Removed land break after starting point of each level
  • Blocks associated with on/off switches as well as the on/off switches themselves
  • See through pipes from Mario 3D World
  • Fences to climb up
  • Red pipes - They might spawn enemies faster and spit them further away from the pipe entrance
  • Variable moving platform length
  • The ability to make moving platforms see-saw, as in not perfectly horizontal
  • Use of foreground and background to have enemies travel into the screen to hit you
  • ! blocks that create more blocks when hit
  • Purple brick block
  • Grey brick block
  • Block platforms that have programmable movements. Think Super Mario World castles, they exist there
  • Bell trees from Super Mario 3D World
New level types and level themes
  • Super Mario 3D World level type
  • Jungle level theme
  • Desert level theme
  • Ice/snow level theme
  • Sky theme
Powerups and coins
  • 10 coin
  • Cat Suit from Super Mario 3D World with the ability to climb up walls
  • DIfferent colour Yoshi - Red was shown. Also it is possible the Yoshi colours have their unique abilities from Super Mario World
Enemies
  • All enemies can have a parachute
  • Whirlwind from the Super Mario Bros 3 Angry Sun Stage
  • Angry Sun from Super Mario Bros 3
  • Fire Bros from Super Mario Bros 3
  • Boom Boom from Super Mario Bros 3
  • Ant Creeper from Super Mario Bros 3D World
  • Piranha Creeper from Super Mario 3D World with fully programmable travel path
  • Porcu-Puffer from Super Mario World
  • Banzai Bill from Super Mario World
  • Ty-foo from Super Mario 3D World
  • Bully from Super Mario 64
  • Stingby from Super Mario 3D Land
  • Skipsqueak from Super Mario 3D World
Did you notice anything more? If so I can add it to the list above.

[edit]

Here are the new features I have found in the Japanese trailer shared in a post below.
  • Sky Theme
  • Yellow pipe
  • Whirlwind creating enemy
  • Large mouse enemy
  • Bee enemy
  • Purple Enemy with green legs
  • Different coloured extended pirahna plant enemies.
  • Flashing POW blocks
  • Coins with parachutes
  • Wooden log platforms
  • Cloud platforms
  • Different stage types in the same level (ie un the sub world). This could just be for the video or it could be in the game. We don't know but it is possible.

The UK date trailer does not add anything new we do not already know about from what I can see.

Last edited:
@A Link In Time
Thanks again. I'm only focusing on the trailer here. The art work and website is a totally different thing indeed. And there's more new things there.
I'll watch his analysis since you recommended it. it should be good :)

@A Link In Time and everyone else

Here's the box art and the promotional image for the game from the NoA website.

ZBdvkr3.png

LEWMlEl.jpg

@A Link In Time

What I'd like to ask you about the promo image is what are your thoughts on the following?

• Toad with the hammer? Is that just a nod to Wrecking Crew, the NES game or do you think this means Toad is a playable character?
  • Toadette in the cat suit and Luigi in the cat suit? Again do you think we'll see more playable characters than just Mario?
  • The shell-less koopa trooper in the cart in the bottom right corner? TO me that's really left field and I don't know what to make of that.
  • The squashed fire flower next to the thwomp in the bottom left corner? Do you think that's just for the promotionmal art or can powerups actually stretch and be squashed based on the level environment around them?
Alsoon the NoA website it says for SMM2 - "No. of Players To be determined" That's really interesting. Nintendo not saying yet if this is a one player or multiplayer game.

Also something I've been thinking. There's a new counter in the editor and I think main game too at the bottom right of the screen. It starts off at 1 in the main world. And in the sub world it's at 2. Is this just to easily differentiate between the overworld and sub world? Or does this mean you can have multiple sub worlds in a ;eve; with numbers 3, 4 etc etc?

Last edited:
Here's the actual link to the new JPanese trailer for the game

Here's a better (ie not gameXplain) youtube source to watch it from if you don't want to watch it on the instagram source

Also here is the new UK trailer. Direct from the Nintendo UK youtube page.

I'll get to adding the new features from thrse videos into the top post here.

PS. I will always post up alternatives to gameXplain. Having the option to watch better sources for content is always appreciated and I like to help out this way.

New things we saw from the Direct:

Story mode
Multiplayer (coop and competitive)
Coop level making
Night themes of levels
Desert, snow, forest, and sky themes
Vertical levels
Custom scroll
Rising water, poison, lava
Riding in a car
Diagonal conveyor belts
New sound effects
Big coins
Pom Pom
Meowzer
Sideways Thwomps
Fire Yoshi
Teleportation blocks
Blinking blocks
Seesaw
Swinging Claw
Crates
Dry Bones Shell
Track block
Mushroom trampoline
Custom win conditions
Endless Challenge
Level backgrounds showing in endless challenge

Sadly, 3D World elements are separate from other game themes.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Anyone know if coop is going to be online? I think that's gonna make or break my purchase.

Here's the new 15 minute direct. I apologise for not sharing it earlier.
There's too many new features to mention here but they are very well signposted so the viewer can pick out most of them pretty easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom