• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link To The Past or Super Metroid?

MonkeyFightSquad

*LAUGHS EVILLY*
So I am going to get either Super Metroid or A Link To The Past. They both sound like amazing games. I love Metroid and Zelda, but I don't know which one to get?

pat-doe-questionmark.jpg

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
3q1j8s.jpg

I would recommend A Link to the Past.

Majora's Cat

How about that
Go with whatever is cheaper.

Both are 800 Wii Points, so they're the same price. I've played a both games, and I would say Super Metroid is easier to get into initially, but if you're looking for value, definitely for A Link to the Past. It just has more gameplay and you're getting more bang for your buck than with Super Metroid, although SM is one of the best the SNES has to offer.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Follow your heart. Do you love Metroid more than Zelda? Vice versa? Or are they neck and neck, save an installment here and there? [break]Talking to Skyward Sword here[/break] In the grand scheme of things, it is all up to you. I personally would recommend ALttP, though I can't say much because I don't have the best experience with Super Metroid. Again, it's all up to you, MonkeyFightSquad. You are the key to happiness.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Super Metroid may well be the best Metroid game. A Link to the Past, while decent, isn't nearly the best Zelda game.

Frankly, Super Metroid just has better action, better atmosphere, arguably better music, and smoother controls. It has a flow to it that A Link to the Past lacks. The world is interesting and fully-realized, with a real sense of history and connection between each area. The action is absolutely perfect--it's an ideal platformer, shooter, and adventure game, and excells in all those departments. Samus is a compelling protagonist, perfect for this type of game and every bit as dynamic and adaptable as she is in any of the other Metroid titles.

A Link to the Past, while it offers decent gameplay, is so utterly drab in the visual department that it's distracting, but on top of that, neither Hyrule nor the Dark World ever struck me as all that interesting, seriously inhibiting the exploration element. It gets props for tightly-packed secrets, though, and lots of them; you'll feel compelled to explore even more than you might in Super Metroid, because it at least feels like multiple rewards are on every screen. Unfortunately, the game really is overcrowded with items, and item-switching is never easy in Zelda games. Here, it just feels like too much--I think the original Legend of Zelda struck a much better balance, and Link's Awakening used items more interestingly.

I know this isn't a popular opinion on this site, but A Link to the Past is overrated. Super Metroid, while perhaps somewhat overrated, is still a fantastic game. While both paved the way for future entries, Super Metroid is arguably the pinnacle of its franchise while Zelda had much farther to go.

Djinn

and Tonic
Between the two I would actually vote on Super Metroid. ALTTP is one of my favorite Zelda games in the series, it might actually be my favorite overall in the series. But Super Metroid is one of my favorite 2D sidescroller games in general. That in my opinion goes beyond a favorite in one series. Super Metroid has a nearly perfect mixture of challenge, secrets, and fun gameplay to keep you interested throughout. And it is a very complex game with much backtracking so you will definitely not become bored with it anytime soon. The game always keeps me interested and wanting to replay much more often than ALTTP has, which I have played through to the point of being able to defeat it in one sitting. I am still incapable of accomplishing that in Super Metroid.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
I would go with A Link to the Past, as there are a ton of people on here who have played all the way through it and think it's the best Zelda game ever. I myself haven't played through it yet, but I suggest getting it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom