• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds appreciation.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Hello ZD,

I just wanted to make a thread praising A Link Between Worlds because it was a really good game that I feel does not get the appreciation it deserves. It's actually my favorite handheld game of all time. Ok, it owes a lot to A Link to the Past, but I feel like it did everything A Link to the Past did but better. I played A Link to the Past before A Link Between Worlds, and personally, I liked A Link to the Past, but I didn't love it. I loved A Link Between Worlds. Maybe it's unfair to compare two games that came out two decades apart but I feel like A Link Between Worlds is still better than 99% of games that came out during this decade and it is easily my favorite game of 2013.

So let me know what all of you think about A Link Between Worlds. How much did you like it? Why/why didn't you like it?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It made it into my top 5, at least. I enjoyed the dungeons and puzzles a lot. The wall travel mechanic was really fun and there were a ton of neat puzzles that came from it. I enjoyed being able to choose the order of the dungeons I completed, and the dungeons themselves were all pretty satisfying. It’s a very fun game. I played it long before I played ALttP and I like ALBW way better.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
A Link Between Worlds was a pleasant surprise. I had my doubts when it was first announced, since I didn't think it could compare to A Link to the Past. But low and behold, it blew my expectations and ended up becoming one of my absolute favourite Zelda games!

In my opinion, ALBW took the good things about ALttP and made them better; the difficulty, the story (subjective opinion), the mechanics, etc. while adding its own unique mechanics that just make it into a truly fantastic game! I find it very replayable, being up there as one of my personal best games to replay overall, and it's really fun every time. The dungeon design is top notch, and the updated overworld was a very nice blast to the past. My only real criticism is that some of the bosses are really easy, but that is a relatively minor point when I love pretty much everything else about the game. Don't really have anything to complain about. Except the cuccos. Yes, those cuccos. **** those cuccos.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Thoroughly enjoyed it on my initial playthrough and still enjoy it now, The maimais were a hell of a throwback to Golden Skulltulas (in collection) and i liked the fact your weapons could get an upgrade, i'd say i enjoyed the rental system but by the time of my first death i have them all bought anyway. Did like hero mode though add a bit of toughness to the game, only things that let it down for me was the streetpassing for links (no longer possible i believe) and the goddamn baseball minigame.........like did anyone ever finish that accursed minigame. Though i gotta give it props as the bat could be swapped out for any of the 4 rods you obtain in game.

Mido

Version 1
Thoroughly enjoyed it on my initial playthrough and still enjoy it now, The maimais were a hell of a throwback to Golden Skulltulas (in collection) and i liked the fact your weapons could get an upgrade, i'd say i enjoyed the rental system but by the time of my first death i have them all bought anyway. Did like hero mode though add a bit of toughness to the game, only things that let it down for me was the streetpassing for links (no longer possible i believe) and the goddamn baseball minigame.........like did anyone ever finish that accursed minigame. Though i gotta give it props as the bat could be swapped out for any of the 4 rods you obtain in game.

I actually did end up finishing the baseball minigame, but it was not an easy feat in the slightest. It was the main roadblock on my journey to 100% completion. I definitely don't miss it even though I found the minigame kind of charming in a way.

I did not play ALBW until 2015 due to not owning a 3DS until then, and as a big fan of ALTTP, I was certainly excited for the journey. Mechanics-wise, I loved the twists that were thrown in on the formula such as navigation via painting. The story was solid enough, and the journey fun. Overall, I still prefer its predecessor; however, ALBW still has plenty of merit that allows it to stand apart from the former. I would certainly play it again whenever I get the chance.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
It's actually my favourite Zelda after BotW. I loved how open it was, how it was a Zelda that finally did collectables right by actually giving us useful rewards from beginning to end. The wallmerging ability was absolutely fantastic in my opinion, and I just thoroughly enjoyed it start to finish. An absolute gem of a game.

Nah, I prefer ALttP and always will.

The character models in ALBW look really off, Lorule isn't as good as the Dark World, Yuga sucks and Ravio sucks.

Ravio's rental system was annoying.

Almost every puzzle saw you merging into the wall.

I just didn't enjoy it all that much and felt that for a game made so long after ALttP it barely improved on anything.

The redone music was the best thing about it. But even then the retro feel of ALttP is just as tasty now.

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
I actually had not played A Link to the Past when I first got A Link Between Worlds, so it was a fresh new experience for me. I loved how the world let you explore and find new items and collectibles, but still gave you purpose and something to do, unlike Breath of the Wild, where I can get bored sometimes due to how open it actually is. The dungeons were all unique and pretty well done, and I really like the painting mechanic and how it was used. Ravi and his rentals were a bit annoying at first, but once you could permanently buy weapons, that issue went away. While it may not be as good as some of the console Zelda games, it is still a great portable experience that I keep coming back to every now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom