• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Hack 'N Slash Zelda Game?

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
I was looking at reviews for some 3DS games and while watching one for the game Samurai Warriors Chronicles I started to think "What if Zelda was a hack 'n slash?" I think it could work. A hack 'n slash Zelda game could still incorporate the aspects of Zelda that we all love the games for except there would be humongous groups of enemies in are way that we would take out mostly with swords. Some hack 'n slash games use hoseback combat which immideitly provides a great use for Epona.

I reckon this could work. I wouldn't have it as the main aspect, but at certain areas or points in the story, sure why not, have Link fight heaps of enemies. Show off his mad sword skillz. Pit himself 20-1, in an epic battle that takes 15 minutes to complete. At the end of it, the hero walks away, leaving behind the dozens of swords, knives and spears on the ground (reminds of shark island from WW). But I reckon it could work, just don't go overborad with it. It could even incorporate the parry feature from Wind Waker in cool and epic ways. Good idea.

Djinn

and Tonic
I honestly do not see thins working as a proper Zelda title, at least not with Link as the main character. Since this style of game would remove 90% of the features that make up a Zelda game and bring it down to the basics. Simple button mashing combat, although it would be lots and lots of button mashing combat. The Zelda series has mostly moved away from this with ALTTP on, the early games were much more combat heavy mostly due to having little room on a cartridge for extra story or complex dungeons.

Maybe if this were some type of spinoff or side story that just so happens to take place in Hyrule, or the world of Hyrule. Then the villains would be exchanged for more familiar things like bulblins and lizalfos. Although I cannot really vision Link with the master sword going rapestomp crazy on a field full of enemies or invading armies all at once like that. Plus there would have to be other characters with relatively equal abilities on the field with him, and normally those are incredibly rare in Zelda games. Usually Link is the only combat worthy character roaming Hyrule at any given time outside of villains. So possibly if this game starred several knights of Hyrule stopping a foreign invasion or maybe an explosion of monsters of the dark world, some type of total war scenario that would require a handfull of skilled warriors to rise up and stop the hordes with some soldiers for backup.

I think it would be interesting to see the warriors pick up and use a few traditional Hyrule items like a boomerang and bombs to be used in combat.

Blendercat

Riding Suicune
Some sections of Twilight Princess are slightly reminiscent of a Hack'n Slash, like when the little red guys whose names I can't recall surround you in an arena. I think it'd be a really cool thing to see. Perhaps another Four Swords, set in the Twilight Princess Hyrule, where it switches between traditional gameplay and sections like this. Some dungeons could have, instead of a mini-boss, something like a Darknut or those big armored folks in TP, with smaller knights(Lizalfos or something like that) that fight with him. I`d really like that kind of variety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom