• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda A Ganondorf Origin Story

So, Dracula Untold is out. An origin story for Dracula, something I don't think has happened before.

So, it made me think about an origin story for Ganondorf. Do you think we could have a game where we can see what Ganondorf was like before he became the villain we know today? His path to becoming the man he was at the start of Ocarina of Time, how he learned of the Triforce, his giving into his own inner evil. It's not like we can use the excuse that Ganondorf can't be playable because of Hyrule Warriors.

Do you think a Ganondorf origin game would be a good idea?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I wouldn't mind playing as Ganondorf again in another spinoff. Playing as him in HW was the best bit for me.
I watched Dracula Untold yesterday, it was enjoyable, I know the critics did not like it so much but, it was not a bad watch at all if you are into dracula or vampires it's definitely worth seeing.
With Ganondorf, it seems with the more recent games, especially Hyrule Warriors (Separate universe but Ganondorf is still just like in the main series) make him out to be the physical form of evil itself. His soul pieces are referred to as 'evils spirit'. So basically I don't believe Ganondorf was any different in his earlier days before he knew about the triforce. He was a murderer, a thief, he was probably the most physically powerful and magically powerful man in Hyrule even without the TOP. Recently there was some ALTTP artwork released by Nintendo, of Ganon and Zelda with some information on each of them. It definitely mentioned that Ganon would cruelly snatch toys from young children whilst laughing cruelly at them. This obviously was during a tome before he had the triforce, because he was in the dark world when he had possession of the relic.

Could you really make a full game playing as a protagonist who is a sadistic murderer? Fallout 3 lets you do that, but there is the option to do good as well if players are that way inclined. Fallout 3 is rated 18+ and Zelda games are always lower than that. I personally wouldn't mind it. I don't think other players would be put off by a mature game either, lots seem to like the darker themes. Perhaps a game of playing as the demon thief is just what people need. It'd be just like the game 'thief' if you've ever played that, only minus all the the stealth and loads of blowing things up with magic.

I could really actually see this working out. I mean, you've gotta think Koume and Kotake must have really done a number on that poor kid's psyche growing up. If you think about it, with one man born to the Gerudo every 100 years, they'd have been alive for 3 other ones besides Ganondorf. Been alive for, and outlived, one should point out. Which really makes one wonder about the longevity of the Gerudo. Do all of them live to be several hundred years old? And if so, why did the other ones die or disappear so fast? Ganondorf from OoT has been shown to survive the ages quite well (for instance, he's the same one who appears in Wind Waker, while for the most part knowledge of him has passed from living memory). Having the men survive for several hundred years would also make the problem of breeding more feasible. Yeah, I'd say there's room for genuine plot there when you think on it...

Salem

SICK
We already have a lot of origin stories, two(or three of you count his monologue in WW) for Ganon, one for the Master sword and Link's friggin hat.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
What would the game consist of though? Playing as Ganondorf growing up? The way I'm seeing it, this would be pretty uneventful. I mean where's the story, the conflict, the villain? The only story plot that you could kind of introduce is the Hyrulean Civil War (the one spoke about before Ocarina of Time). I guess that could work, but that war didn't really have an epic conclusion, just that eventually said war stopped.

Its difficult to make an origin of Ganon when we already know his origin. In fact, its a little more difficult making a story where we can actually sympathize the prince of evil.

Ganon's origin is in OoT (which is why we never see him in Zelda games that take place before it). He was raised by Twinrova and was the King of the Gerudos.

We may already know of Ganondorf's origin, we know nearly everything that's important at this point, but an origin story would be better for other reasons. For one, we will most likely be seeing his childhood in the desert, thus we get the chance to revisit the OoT world, learn more about the Hyrule civil war, see some long overdue returns (Twinrova, Nabooru for some) and get to see how well he did before he went crazy (he had to have some personality back then).

Should this ever happen, the story should involve the desert winds Ganondorf mentioned; maybe watching his people die one by one had some minor effect on him. Since the Hylian Royal family has to be perfect in every damn way, it's unlikely that they will be presented as the jerks, so a misunderstanding between them might come into play which will make Gdork think he's banished to the desert. But maybe that's all best saved for the fanfics...

All in all, I'm in favor of a game starring Ganny, if it doesn't redeem him in my eyes, nothing will.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
I'm game! i think it would be cool. I've been playing Zelda long enough that I'm up for anything at this point. I'm getting less attached to the normal Zelda stuff as i get older. I'm just ready for the story to branch out. More interesting characters. and less focus on the childhood portion of Links life. I'm ready to see how our hero is after some of the games we have played!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom