• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Game You Enjoyed, But Wouldn't Recommend

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Sometimes you play a game and you like it, then tell your friends to try it out.

But sometimes you tell them to not bother. Even though you liked it, you wouldn't recommend it.

I think of The Witness. I enjoyed The Witness. I had fun with it and liked my time solving puzzles and exploring the island. But I can't bring myself to recommend the game. It's obtuse, it's deliberately frustrating, and it's, honestly, a chore. For all that I enjoyed it, it's not worth the effort.

Are there any games you enjoyed playing that you wouldn't recommend other people play?

Oooooh, nice thread.

Code Vein.

I enjoyed my time with it, but there just wasn't enough substance to it outside of pressing buttons. I'd recommend it if it was an enriching experience, but it isn't.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Fire Emblem: Fates - Birthright

I honestly enjoyed the game. IMO, it's the best Fates route, lacking many of the issues that plagued the other routes. But I still would recommend a few other FE games, like Path of Radiance, Blazing Blade, or Awakening as someone's first FE instead. Fates is better enjoyed when someone is more familiar with the series already, if you ask me.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Star Fox Adventures. I love the game, but I also have strong dislikes with it. At one point my dislikes of it overwhelmed my memories of the good aspects of it, so I sold it. A few years ago, the good aspects of the game made me repurchase it. It's just a weird game where the things it does good are done better in other games, and there isn't enough bread and butter rail shooting sections to appease fans of traditional Star Fox gameplay.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Ninja Gaiden: Black.

I love the game, but it still reigns supreme as the hardest game I've ever finished and beaten 100%.

I wouldn't recommend it.... Unless you love a game that insults your abilities as a gamer.

If you keep dying on the Normal difficulty, after enough times, the game suggests Ninja Dog, or the easiest difficulty.

Basically, it's saying, "Hey, we noticed you keep dying, pleb. Your kung fu is obviously not strong enough, so try this Ninja B*tch difficulty for noobs."

Excite Truck:

Honestly, the graphics haven't aged well, the controls were somewhat janky & it's really nothing more than a generic racing game with the biggest difference being getting bonus points for hitting other drivers.

But damn if it isn't fun

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Minish Cap was an enjoyable game, but very middle-of-the-line when it comes to quality in Zelda games. I would actually recommend TP over it, despite MC clearly being the better game. It just was too forgettable to recommend to anyone aside from the die-hard Zelda fans who were going to play it eventually anyway.

Mido

Version 1
I've got to roll with Agents of Mayhem on this one. It has a strangely charming atmosphere, and I have respect for how Volition historically ties in varying parts of their games' universes into new experiences (especially Saints Row and Red Faction). The character dynamics are fun and the gameplay is incredibly solid, if not much more than that. Heck, I would almost recommend it for this alone.

Having said all this, the game is ultimately held back by poor story presentation, repetitive gameplay, and semi-occasional frustrating bugs/glitches. The story itself is not bad, just simple; yet the way it is structured comes off inconsistent from a player investment standpoint. The gameplay is still fun despite being repetitive, but it can be somewhat of a pain when the mission structure barely changes. As for the third concern, the game ultimately does not come off very polished at all points. Loading times can be inconsistent if not leading to freezing, and sometimes objectives break during mission which results in having to restart already-repetitive missions.

I still enjoy Agents of Mayhem, but I would probably not recommend it to most players.

Star Fox Adventures. I love the game, but I also have strong dislikes with it. At one point my dislikes of it overwhelmed my memories of the good aspects of it, so I sold it. A few years ago, the good aspects of the game made me repurchase it. It's just a weird game where the things it does good are done better in other games, and there isn't enough bread and butter rail shooting sections to appease fans of traditional Star Fox gameplay.

"wAiT uP, fOx!"

I think you're right in that there is not enough in Adventures to appeal to most Star Fox fans in terms of recommending the game, despite the game's strongest strengths. It also has the unfortunate status of being compared to contemporaries like Zelda due to the gamplay similarities, and as you said, Adventures does the gameplay well, but not as well as others in the same style. While I would recommend it myself, it seems that the main audience who would enjoy it might only be the most hardcore series fans.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Dark Cloud, while I really liked the game, there's a lot of micromanagement and it's really rough around the edges these days since it was an early PS2 game, and it's a dungeon crawler which doesn't have the broadest appeal anyway

Quin

Disaster Master
Mostly stuff that I enjoyed and is good on its own, but bad compared to the rest of the series. Like I wouldn't reccomend smash 4, or Monster Hunter GU to other people, while I still have quite the hours in them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom