• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda A Game with No Obvious Timeline Placement?

Salem

SICK
Before the release of Hyrule Historia, we've had Zelda games in the past that didn't have an obvious timeline placement.

The OoX games didn't have clear connections to LA, The Four Swords games did their own thing.

What I'm asking is this; Would you like it if the next Zelda game didn't have any clues as to WHEN it takes place concerning the timeline? Not only that but if Aunoma and Miyamoto just flat-out refused to say when it takes place?

Which is not to say there will no connection to other Zelda games what so ever. It could have 'legacy characters" like Impa and Beedle, or maybe Marin/Malon.

Last edited:

Big Octo

=^)
From a theorist standpoint, I'd love it. Getting back into timeline discussions will be very refreshing and harken back to the days befire the Hyrule Historia in which there were large discussions regarding the timeline. Nintendo would be wise to incorporate this fanservice in a new game and any future games, except for direct sequels.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I'd honestly prefer it to exist outside of the timeline unless it's a direct sequel.

I'd prefer it if it was a direct sequel or prequel, unless if it is its on standalone game. I honestly don't want this timeline to be more backhanded and twisted. We were in the timeline debates for many years, constantly speaking of which game came first and such. As much as I loved debating about the Split Timeline theories, I just got sick of it after talking about it for so long. I'd like it if they started to make their lore more complicated though, and started to answer less questions, like they did in MM. I'd like it if theories came from mysteries, not what game belongs where.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd honestly prefer it to exist outside of the timeline unless it's a direct sequel.

This. I mean, the game needs SOME kind of lore, but don't make it with the intent of "prequel to such and such games" because that honestly tends to ruin the game more often than not.

Sroa Link said:
What I'm asking is this; Would you like it if the next Zelda game didn't have any clues as to WHEN it takes place concerning the timeline?

No, I would like if they at least gave us a few hints at least, especially if they are subtle hints. But I would not have a problem with it if they decided to not make the placement blatantly obvious. It would be fun, but it doesn't seem that likely to me.

They decided to lock themselves into the Hyrule Historia timeline (instead of leaving it completely up to people to decide for themselves), so it doesn't seem all that likely that they would leave us with an ambiguous placement. Or if they did, they'd tell us later in Hyrule Historia 2.0 anyway, where they retcon increasingly absurd timeline splits into existence to further antagonize the dedicated and long-suffering legions of Hyrule theorists. I also guess that while this isn't their main concern in creating games, they will use new games to help explain their final placement decision for existing games.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I don't know. I guess I would like an ambiguous game because I hate the timeline. I'd like to push it to the back of people's minds. I guess I'm just afraid about what working with the timeline could bring.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
The OoX games didn't have clear connections to LA

uh.....the boat thing?

at this point,im a little tired of seeing this 'rise of a new hero' thing and DEFINITELY tired of the amount of links they created,id rather just see the next zelda games be a sequel to another w/ an already established link
i mean they made plenty of them,giving some of them more stories wouldn't hurt

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think it would be cool to be able to debate timelines again, and I am very interested in the idea of another separate timeline branching out from Skyward Sword- which could have a split in it because of the time travel, just like OoT. I mean, it doesn't, but it would be easy to write in later on. In that case, things could run totally separate from all the other Zelda games so far, which would be very refreshing, yet keeping recurring characters would be nice. I wouldn't like anything too far off though or too random- the Oracles were good games but things like Four Swords- they're so different that I don't understand why they are in the timelines at all. I don't like anything like that because I like that the legends link together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom