• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds "A Game in Which Having 3D Will Mean Something" - Aonuma

I was thinking about the headlining statement from Aonuma and came up with the following concept (I am sorry for my english, I am not a native speaker and currently wrighting without spelling check):

Maybe we'll get a hybrid between a 2D aLttP kind of game with nicer visuals (in terms of quality, not style) and a full 3D game (I am not speaking about autostereoscopic 3D). The 3D slider would be used to get from bird perspective (2D) to a behind-Link-camera-angle 3D.

The autostereoscopic 3D would be handled by another virtual slider on the touchscreen for example. This way you could play the game even if you cannot stand or see the 3D effect.

You could see a tree in 2D mode but wouldn't be able to see or reach the cave beneath the the tree until you slide the slider to 3D mode. Items like the hookshoot are easier to use in 2D mode OR they are just useable in 2D mode? Or you wouldn't see certain obstacles in 2D mode, so you could walk beneath or above them? In this case you would need to constantly switch between 2D and 3D to solve puzzles, explore the world and to fight bosses.

You wouldn't change just the perspective in such a game. Instead you change to different dimensions. Like going to underground worlds in 3D mode and then be on this layer in 2D mode. 3D would really mean something (like time switching meant something in OoT). It would be really interesting imo and I guess switching the modes by using the physical slider would be satisfying und could be used story wise if the Item that lets you switch dimensions (or layers in 2D mode) somehow looks and acts like the slider (maybe a slideable grip on a new sword or rod?). Thanks for reading this!

I'd like to read your opinion on that matter. Or have you an entirely different idea what "meaningful 3D" could mean?

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That's certainly a great idea, but it could never work - Nintendo knows that much of the human population simply is not compatible with the autostereoscopic 3D. Making it mandatory for a game would be absolutely brutal, and instantly detrimental to the game's sales. I know it, Nintendo knows it, the general population knows it.

All I can think of is enhanced visuals. Tetsuya Nomura - director of the Kingdom Hearts series - said the same thing about Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance. Guess what, it's really just menus popping off the screen, looking like you could grasp them if you wanted to. There's no way to make the 3D truly meaningful outside of visuals.

I guess you are right. It is likely that Aonuma just had in mind, that meaningful 3D means thinking about depths in the games scenarios. Just like in todays movies that are done in 3D (if they do well in that department).

But while I was posting this thread, I was thinking about how 3D could matter gameplay wise. And I didn't mean the 3D in an autostereoscopic kind of way, but just switch between a 2D and a 3D game world (I guess I failed at explaining that... need to work on my english).

sailormars109

Finding Love by the Moon
I think the idea would attract a decent amount of the fans' interest.

Also, for not being a native English speaker, you do quite well with the literature part. :)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
That's certainly a great idea, but it could never work - Nintendo knows that much of the human population simply is not compatible with the autostereoscopic 3D. Making it mandatory for a game would be absolutely brutal, and instantly detrimental to the game's sales. I know it, Nintendo knows it, the general population knows it.

All I can think of is enhanced visuals. Tetsuya Nomura - director of the Kingdom Hearts series - said the same thing about Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance. Guess what, it's really just menus popping off the screen, looking like you could grasp them if you wanted to. There's no way to make the 3D truly meaningful outside of visuals.

Pretty much this in a nutshell.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
"A game in which 3D will mean something?" Well great, that's exactly what I've been hoping for. If they're not going to take full advantage of the amazing technology the 3DS has to offer, then what would be the point of not just making the game on the DS?

I wasn't THAT far away from truth with my thoughts in the thread, was I? Now, that A Link to the Past 2 is actually announced.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the trailer gave us a slight hint of what Aonuma was talking about. Round about 1:08 into the American Trailer where Reggie talks about "changing viewpoints to see the connections you couldn't see before" Maybe that it or a fraction of what Aonuma's Statement meant? There probably is more to it then that, but I think we are already seeing the first signs of "3D will mean something".

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
See the 3D display now means something in the same vein that it does in Super Mario 3D Land. oh well, we get gold stars for trying. :(

I'm not sure Zelda 3DS is tailored for the 3DS's stereoscopic 3D.

The trailer suggests the system's 3D won't be anything more than an accessory as usual.

The OP presents some interesting ideas but Nintendo would never force the use of 3D for fear of alienating those who can't it or suffer eye strain from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom