• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

TPHD-Wii U A Fan HD Remake of Twilight Princess (Project Midnight)

OK, because of screen recording while emulating with dolphin this turned out terrible and doesn't do it justice... I'm embarrassed to show this actually.
Any who, it's just to show that the orchestral music is in the game.

In saying that, I will at some point upload a proper promo video with no stutter and full audio. I'll use an other more powerful computer for that.

Regardless, here is the video:

Reactions: Dio

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
It's no demo trailer graphics but...I actually see a greater difference here than the real TPHD.

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
One thing that keeps me motivated is that everyone else (including nintendo) is trying to make Twilight Princess look more like skyward sword. I'm taking a different approach, keeping it dark and more mature.

This sequence is actually one of the first we added re-orchestration to so I'll try and get a screen recording of it to show ya... It's just Dolphin and screen recordings don't exactly see eye to eye :(.

I'll post it on youtube or something when I get the chance, it gives me chills every time I hear it :P .

I don't want to offend you, but.... as it is now, it looks more like Wind Waker than TP. I think Nintendo has done the best out of any remake I've seen in terms of not looking as much like Skyward Sword, but the picture of Illia and Zant in particular just look... toony.

If this is the final project, well, sorry, I didn't mean to step on toes. But if it's in development, I think you need to focus a lot more on subtle realistic details- like chips and dents in Zant's mask or cracks in Midna's Fused Shadow shard, make the skin more lifelike, make the fabric of clothing immediately apparent, etc. Nintendo had a lot of minor details like those that made the official TPHD stand out among the other "remakes".

You seem to be using the Wii Version instead of the canon GCN version like the others though, so if Nintendo neglects to put the wii version in TPHD as a master quest, this could be an interesting addition to TPHD- almost like a second quest. So, I think you should continue using the Wii version in order to stand out among the other remakes.

Constructive Criticsm end.

I don't want to offend you, but.... as it is now, it looks more like Wind Waker than TP. I think Nintendo has done the best out of any remake I've seen in terms of not looking as much like Skyward Sword, but the picture of Illia and Zant in particular just look... toony.

If this is the final project, well, sorry, I didn't mean to step on toes. But if it's in development, I think you need to focus a lot more on subtle realistic details- like chips and dents in Zant's mask or cracks in Midna's Fused Shadow shard, make the skin more lifelike, make the fabric of clothing immediately apparent, etc. Nintendo had a lot of minor details like those that made the official TPHD stand out among the other "remakes".

You seem to be using the Wii Version instead of the canon GCN version like the others though, so if Nintendo neglects to put the wii version in TPHD as a master quest, this could be an interesting addition to TPHD- almost like a second quest. So, I think you should continue using the Wii version in order to stand out among the other remakes.

Constructive Criticsm end.

No toes stepped on here! Thank you for your opinion and honesty. My key goal is to keep twilight princess a gritty and more detailed game. Zant's texture actually has a lot of detail in it:
tex1_256x256_dc5d4a20b2e46a8f_14_zpsrvhamkic.png

The models are old though, and when textures are stretched over them they lose their detail. I've done a lot of experimenting with this.
Most of the changed textures for ground, rocks, grass etc are also detailed and gritty. But recently a 3d artist has joined our team and we will be making updates to the models as well, this will hopefully allow us to put textures with more subtle detail in the game without them being stretched and looking tacky.

Ilia's current texture is experimental and is very flat, we're currently trying a "Studio Ghibli" style method by keeping the backgrounds high in detail and the characters fairly flat and plain, this is up for debate though.

Are you saying you'd be happier if Twilight princess had photo realistic graphics? Or just more painted details?

Thanks again for your feedback! Keep it coming!

Also, why I've done some of the things I have is because twilight princess suffers from Aliasing issues... big time. So subtle details like woven fabric textures and grit tend to be a glitchy fuzzy mess. But theres still room for improvement.

It's always nice seeing projects like this. Twilight Princess has a lot of different projects working on it right now, between this, Tomoya HD, some of the texture projects going on over on the Dolphin forums, and Nintendo's own remaster. I'm enjoying all of the different renditions of the game I'm seeing - they should leave a lot of different options out there for enjoying the game.

This one seems a little different, but I like what I'm seeing so far. This is the only project I've seen working with the Wii version over the Gamecube version, which should make things interesting. With all of the resources out there for the Gamecube version I've never had the desire to play the Wii version, but a project like this definitely could tempt me. This is also the only project I've seen looking to do some work on the soundtrack - and I think that's what has my attention more than anything else. Music can do a lot for a game, and re-orchestrating the soundtrack could go a long way towards keeping the feeling of the original game while still delivering a new experience. I'll definitely be watching to see how that turns out.

Definitely an interesting project, and I like what I'm seeing so far.

Thank you!
Would you guys mind if I turned this into an update thread?

This project doesn't really have a home and you guys seem to have some great insight into what you'd like to see in the game.

Yes as far as I know we're the only ones to change the music in the game. And personally I started on the wii game, so I'm redoing the wii version.

Let me know if there's anything else you think could be improved in the game. I'll upload more pictures of different areas, you guys have only really seen a fraction of the game.

That Midna screenshot is pretty sweet. I am glad you are sticking with the darker look to the game. These other remakes want to brighten the game and make it look more like SS. I feel like this is a dark game and should have a dark look to it.

Anyways great start and I look forward to more updates on this (especially the music that your talking about). I will be watching this thread.

Hey Guys!

I've taken all of your suggestions into account in regards to Ilia's Textures and have completely reworked them.

Here's the reworked textures:
RZDE01_e2c77ad0_14_zpsnrhemgpa.png

I'm still going to work on the main fabric portion. So it looks less tacky.

Here is what it looks like in game:
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-06%20at%2012.49.00%20AM_zpsuoaxwf5o.png

I apologize if this is spamming...

Final update on her textures:
I've used 4 different fabric textures interwoven throughout the texture,
And added eyebrow textures.
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-06%20at%201.30.35%20AM_zpsf7irphzh.png

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I apologize if this is spamming...

Final update on her textures:
I've used 4 different fabric textures interwoven throughout the texture,
And added eyebrow textures.
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-06%20at%201.30.35%20AM_zpsf7irphzh.png

I don't think you can really spam your own thread if the purpose of it is to give regular updates. Keep them coming.

I don't think the photos shown above are significantly better than the remake Nintendo is doing, although I think modders will eventually be able to re-make the game into something incredible.

I saw a mod in which TP's graphics were changed into Skyward Sword graphics, which looked great.

Well Stay tuned I suppose! We intend to replace the textures, models as well as the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom