• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A DK Country game for Switch?

I think there should be a new DK country game for the switch. Is anything in the works?

We have the original SNES trilogy, and then we have 'Returns' and 'Tropical Freeze'. It would be good if there was another DK country game, because then we would have two trilogies, the classic SNES trilogy, and the 'modern' trilogy (Returns, Tropical Freeze, Switch).

What do you think?

PS - Is DK64 regarded as part of the DK Country series? Wikipedia says it is, but if this is true then wouldn't Jungle Beat have to be included too?

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Are Returns and Tropical Freeze any good? I own the latter but not the former. DKC 1 and 3 were really good, never played much of 2.

Last edited:

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Its a definite possibility. Returns was an ok game, but Tropical Freeze is absolutely fantastic. Retro, the studio that made those games (as well as the Metroid Prime trilogy), haven't made anything since TF. So I'm hoping they make an awesome Switch title! Whether it be DK or Metroid (but lets be real-its probably gonna be a DK game).

Jamie

Corrected my post: I have not played TF, just own it. My brother gave it to me.

BoxTar

PS - Is DK64 regarded as part of the DK Country series? Wikipedia says it is, but if this is true then wouldn't Jungle Beat have to be included too?

I'd count it as a DK title myself, but I wouldn't count on it ever making a return as a series. That was a RareWare project, and uh...well we all know what happened there.

Corrected my post: I have not played TF, just own it. My brother gave it to me.

Definitely give it a play if you liked DKC 1 + 3! The collectables have a purpose and arent just for extra lives (they unlock extra levels + concept art). Huuuuuge improvement imo. And gameplay wise, its basically the same stuff as DCK 1-3, except with tighter controls.

Are Returns and Tropical Freeze any good? I own the latter but not the former. DKC 1 and 3 were really good, never played much of 2.

I really enjoyed both. I think most people think TF is better, but I actually preferred Returns. But either way, I enjoyed both a lot.

Also, the game auto-saves after each level is complete. Which is a life-saver for me, because the save system on the old SNES DKC games made me really struggle in later parts of the games.

I'd count it as a DK title myself, but I wouldn't count on it ever making a return as a series. That was a RareWare project, and uh...well we all know what happened there.

Definitely a DK title yes, but is it the 4th DK Country game? Or is that Returns?

BoxTar

Definitely a DK title yes, but is it the 4th DK Country game? Or is that Returns?

I wouldn't necessarily count it as a Country game, since, when I think of DKC, I think of 2D sidescrolling platformer. So I'd say Returns is the next game in the Country series, and DK64 was more of a spinoff (a damn good, if not polarizing, spinoff).

Jamie

It's named Donkey Kong 64. It's a Donkey Kong game, not Donkey Kong Country.

If you did want to call it a DK Country game, it still wouldn't fit into any of the trilogies, just its own separate entity.

It's named Donkey Kong 64. It's a Donkey Kong game, not Donkey Kong Country.

If you did want to call it a DK Country game, it still wouldn't fit into any of the trilogies, just its own separate entity.

I guess in the same way that Super Mario World and New Super Mario Bros are both part of the Super Mario series, but New Super Mario Bros is also it's own series. Like DK Country is.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I'd love to see another DKC game made on the Switch. I skipped out on Returns, but Tropical Freeze was one of the Wii U's stronger titles, just avoid getting the eshop version if you can (way larger file than I would have ever expected).

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Is Retro Studios still being held closely to the leash? Wasnt there last game DKCTF? I'd love to see another DKC title but the avility for them to do so in. Timly fashion is what really mTters here. If thr #×</"^ performs poorly then I expect to see one pumped out quickly. If Nintendo sees early success then I expect them to put their heads in there asses for a while.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I think impossible because MS own RARE and the old DKC stuff. Sure DKC is on the VC but new DKC games, probably not. The closest think to a DK64 we will get is Yooka-Laylee.
Uhhhhh..... Dude. We have already had two brand new DKC games. Returns and Tropical Freeze. Tropical Freeze was released 3 years ago.
I think there should be a new DK country game for the switch. Is anything in the works?

We have the original SNES trilogy, and then we have 'Returns' and 'Tropical Freeze'. It would be good if there was another DK country game, because then we would have two trilogies, the classic SNES trilogy, and the 'modern' trilogy (Returns, Tropical Freeze, Switch).

What do you think?

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is undoubtably not only one of the best games on Wii U, but it is the finest platformer that I have ever played. However, I don't want another one. Not yet. I would vastly prefer that Retro work on something new over finishing up a trilogy. Now, I would love for it to come eventually. However, now isn't that time. After Retro releases a new project is definitely when it should happen though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom