• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Day in the Mind of Your Significant Other

Yea or Nay?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Since Valentine's Day is tomorrow, I've been thinking if, given the opportunity, would I spend a day in the mind of my significant other? Would you? If you don't have a special someone, sub in "crush".

I'm on the fence because it could bring couples closer or tear them apart. The advantages would be understanding your loves' emotions fully and perhaps being able to change negative perceptions they have about themselves. But a huge disadvantage could be knowing all of their innermost thoughts. You could potentially be enlightened to something that would make you unhappy.

I don't think it'd change anything if i did, my gf and I have a very open relationship, we speak our minds and we are very much in love, there is nothing that either of us really keep back that could mean anything if discovered, i know how she feels for me and i doubt i'd be surprised by anything i'd see in her mind. So i'd do it, it just wouldn't be too enlightening for me. Although afterwards i could make fun of her and tell her about all the empty space in there :P

now if i were to spend the day in her body... that'd be much more interesting.

Joy

The Sexy One
I wouldn't. People need their privacy, and their separate lives. Plus, maybe you'll discover something you won't like.

Claire

The Geekette
Absolutely not.

If the communication is so poor or the level of trust so low that you would want to delve into the mind of your significant other.. then I'd think there are a few issues. Beside the fact that it would clearly be an invasion of privacy, it would also signal an inability to communicate or trust your partner to me. If I have any questions, I ask. I don't think being able to read their mind would cause any clarity in thought or any peace of mind. If you can't take their word for what it is, then what could you possibly gain or come to value by invading their thoughts to seek out the truth? If they do not choose to relay that word to you or the truth, then you'll never be satisfied by simply snatching those truths or thoughts for yourself. If anything, I'd imagine you'd be less secure afterwards.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
I already understand my significant other’s emotions well enough and consider her a good person who likely wouldn't keep any terrible secrets hidden from me, so my answer is without a doubt NO, I wouldn't need to do such a thing. I love everything about my girl, both her strengths and her weaknesses, I accept her as the person she is and not the person I’d rather make her be. I wouldn't change anything…it would be utterly pointless.

If the communication is so poor or the level of trust so low that you would want to delve into the mind of your significant other.. then I'd think there are a few issues. Beside the fact that it would clearly be an invasion of privacy, it would also signal an inability to communicate or trust your partner to me. If I have any questions, I ask. I don't think being able to read their mind would cause any clarity in thought or any peace of mind. If you can't take their word for what it is, then what could you possibly gain or come to value by invading their thoughts to seek out the truth?

Don't you (not you, specifically, Claire--anyone really) ever wonder what your significant other is thinking? Not even big stuff or to dig for truths, but just to see the world from the perspective of the person you love? I think that would be really cool. It would be a very intimate experience.

I wouldn't mind swapping brains with a partner for the day.

Last edited:

Claire

The Geekette
Yes, but then I simply ask him what he's thinking about and get my answer. I don't feel it even necessary to ponder about the way he perceives the world after dating for almost 8 years. After a while, you pretty much gain that from simply communicating regularly. You can make inferences as to how they'll react to some kind of stimuli and how they'll answer questions. Not only that, but I think it would make things boring to be able to know all that goes in the mind of another and how they'll always respond to the world around them.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
I’m with Clair as well, whenever I want to know what my girl is thinking I ask her what’s on her mind, and since I trust her and doubt she’d lie whatever she answers with is what I’d accept. I may not have been with my own significant other for as long but I still have a good understanding of how she sees things and overall understand her as a person well enough, I know the things that make her who she is and wouldn't need to explore her mind for any reason.

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
The nosy part of me says yes, but the part of me that loves and respects my partner says no--not because I think there's anything to hide, just because like Joy says, I think people need their privacy. I have thoughts I'd rather he didn't know about, and not because I am ashamed or because they're bad or I think he would be hurt, just because they're mine and have nothing to do with him at this point in time. I'd rather learn everything gradually over time as he chooses to reveal it than all in one shot.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I don't think that would be a good idea. I wouldn't want anyone to be inside my mind, not even someone I trust.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
I wouldn't, solely because I'd absolutely hate to have anyone lurking around my head because my thoughts are mine and mine alone and I quite like it that way, thank you very much. I imagine a lot of people feel the same way and so I wouldn't want to do it because privacy is pretty important to me and so I respect other people's.

I suppose it's all a matter of trust and I guess if you really trusted someone you would let them in but trust is something I have a lot of issues with and it just wouldn't work for me.

Last edited:

bunny

birb overlord
I would say no. Trust is extremely important in a relationship, and being in your partner's mind kind of... replaces that trust. Plus, it invades their privacy and your own. Like others have said, if I wanted to know what my significant other was thinking, I'd just ask him. We trust each other enough to know neither of us are lying or keeping secrets. Plus it'd be kinda weird... I don't really like snooping around in other people's business... I can't even imagine what it'd be like to read their thoughts. I'd feel like a criminal or something.

Not to mention my thoughts are usually really random... It'd probably be more confusing and brain-hurting than fun and interesting... O:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom